She Never Left

Pub Date 25 Nov 2021 | Archive Date 25 Nov 2021

SOMETHING IS STIRRING IN THE HEART OF ILLINOIS

When Jane and TJ agree to attend their high school reunion they never expect to come face-to-face with classmate-turned-stalker Lincoln the moment they return home.

SOMETHING THAT SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN WOKEN

Unspoken words fester between them of the incident in the local woods twenty years ago when Evie vanished in a flash of amber light. They were the last three people to see her alive.

SOMETHING THAT SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN PROVOKED

But the trees have been whispering to Lincoln ever since, and as Jane and TJ arrive back in town, the voices call to him again, hissing three solitary words: she is here.

Sharp Objects meets Stranger Things in this razor-sharp small-town thriller – perfect for fans of Stephen King.

What readers are saying:

‘Wow!!! Wow!!!! Wow!!! This book is a total page turner and will keep you guessing with every page. Halfway through I thought I had it figured out and then BAM! The ending floored me’ Michelle, NetGalley

‘Will get under your skin and keep playing on your mind even after you finished reading. Really well written and fast-paced … would definitely recommend, especially for a dark winter’s evening!’ Janaya, NetGalley

‘Intriguing, tense and sharply written suspense with a suitably atmospheric small town backdrop’ Ruth, NetGalley

‘Full of twists and turns, and surprises around every corner … brilliantly written … at times I just couldn’t read quick enough to find out what was going to happen next’ Rubie, NetGalley

‘Suspenseful and atmospheric, this really drew me in with its captivating premise and spine-tingling intro… I had to read on! The writing is very assured and the story had unexpected twists and turns… I’ll be looking out for more from this author. A cosy yet chilling read!’ I.A, NetGalley

‘Ideal for fans of genre-crossing psychological thrillers that include unexpected humour. Beautifully written’ Rachel, NetGalley

SOMETHING IS STIRRING IN THE HEART OF ILLINOIS

EDITION Ebook
PRICE A$8.99 (AUD)

Suspenseful and atmospheric, this really drew me in with its captivating premise and spine tingling intro... I had to read on! The writing is very assured and the story had unexpected twists and turns.... I’ll be looking out for more from this author. A cosy yet chilling read!

In the very best way... Um, what?? This book is so unique, so atmospheric and so intelligently written that I found myself captivated. I couldn't stand to walk away from it and I cannot recommend it highly enough! Thank you to the publisher for gifting me a copy. It is my pleasure to write an honest review.

For me this was a bit of an odd one- not quite what I was expecting and not where I thought the book was going- almost sci-fi rather than thriller in places. That said, as you get further into the book (and the thicket) and the details start to emerge what seems out of this world becomes explicable, albeit still quite hard to believe. There are a couple of twists where you think "oh- that is the reality" only pages later to think "or is it" so although you may have sussed out the intricacies of the relationships and the small town attitudes early on the writing style keeps the pages turning so that you can feel vindicated in your assumptions by the time the truth comes out! Overall a great read but definitely one to approach with no presumptions on style or genre!

Wow!!! Wow!!!! Wow!!! This book is a total page turner and will keep you guessing with every page. Halfway through I thought I had it figured out and then BAM! The ending floored me... I just loved this book. If you are looking for a good mystery with twists and turns then you will enjoy this. It is a great mystery full of suspense, lies, deceit, and amazing characters. Highly recommend!

Wow, this book has so many twists and turns I didn’t know what was real and what may have been a psychedelic episode. The author wrote an exciting book that is part psychological thriller, part sci-fi, part fantasy and part suspense. I couldn’t put it down and read well into the night to finish it. Two cousins decide to go to their high school reunion in the small town where people went missing or died in some strange manners. The Thicket is a spooky part of the woods where the kids all hung out to play and scare each other. It’s is also the one place where luminescent mushrooms grow and they provide the kids with a psychedelic trip that they can’t decide was all hallucinations or maybe it was real as they all saw and heard the same things. Toss in a stalker that has not given up in the past 20 years and you have a story that will keep you on the edge of your seat to the last page. I haven’t read a book that made me think this much in a long time. Even once I was finished I was still trying to figure things out.