Pop Song

Adventures in Art and Intimacy

Pub Date 08 Jul 2021 | Archive Date 07 Jul 2021

Talking about this book? Use #PopSong #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

'...I don't know what comes after, once I decide to let desire have its way with me. How to un-melt the melted? How to turn the ground powder back into a person? This idea points to a knowledge that I don't have: how to love without losing the self.' Plumbing the well of culture for clues about love and loss - from Agnes Martin's abstract paintings to Anne Carson's Eros the Bittersweet to Frank Ocean's Blonde - this brilliant work of debut nonfiction explores the state of falling in love, whether with a painting or a person. Pham creates a perfectly fractured portrait of modern intimacy, triumphant in its vulnerability and restlessness. Pop Song is a book about distances: the miles we travel to get away from ourselves, or those who hurt us, and the impossible gaps that can exist between two people sharing a bed. Here is a map to all the routes by which we might escape our own needs before finally finding a way home.

PRICE £12.99 (GBP)

Send To Kindle (PDF)

Pop Song is a book about love and about falling in love — with a place, or a painting, or a person — and the joy and terror inherent in the experience of that love.. it is a memoir told through essays on art and media and the personal invention of her memory.. It takes a walk through her relationships as she wanders through life and places until she accepts the complexity of the world. Initially it appears like many similar essay collections such as Jia Tolentino's Trick Mirror or The Lonely City by Olivia Laing that also centres on art, however as the book progresses Pham chooses to get more personal. it is comfortingly honest as Pham addresses her introspection to an unknown You who app ears to be an ex lover.. its poetic crystalline prose beautifully depicts the authors intense feeling of grief for a moment that is past or lost.. Like a song that feels written just for you, Larissa Pham’s debut work of nonfiction captures the imagination and refuses to let go