The Last Exiles

Pub Date 01 Sep 2021 | Archive Date 01 Sep 2021

Talking about this book? Use #TheLastExiles #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

A searing portrait of a young couple in Pyongyang and their fight for love and freedom.

Jin and Suja meet and fall in love while studying at university in Pyongyang. She is a young journalist from a prominent family, while he is from a small village of little means. When Jin returns home to find his family starving, their food rations all but gone, he makes a rash decision that will haunt him for the rest of his life.

Meanwhile, miles away, Suja has learned that Jin has disappeared. Risking everything, she sets out to find him, embarking on a dangerous journey that will test their love and will to survive. In this vivid and moving story, Ann Shin offers a rare glimpse at life inside the guarded walls of North Korea. Inspired by real stories of incredible bravery, The Last Exiles is a stunning debut about love, sacrifice and the price of liberty.

A Note From the Publisher

Ann Shin is a filmmaker and award-winning writer. Her documentary My Enemy, My Brother was shortlisted for a 2016 Academy Award and nominated for an Emmy. Her documentary, The Defector: Escape from North Korea won 7 awards including Best Documentary and Best Documentary Director at the 2014 Canadian Screen Academy Awards, a SXSW Interactive Award, and a Canadian Digi Award. She has directed programs for CBC, Discovery Channel, HGTV, History Channel, W Network, PBS, and Fine Living Network.

Advance Praise

'The story of a young couple's search for one another, through varying social, economic, and physical landscapes is beautifully written, compelling, and heartfelt. I highly recommend Ann Shin's debut novel' Goodreads review

'Overall, this is a moving story about surviving by any means necessary, highlighting love, sacrifice, resilience and liberty.' Goodreads review

'Inspired by true events, this is a solid debut with fluid writing that paints a vivid portrait of a young couple in North Korea and their fight for love and freedom. This plot-driven saga pierced my heart and I can't recommend it enough.' Goodreads review

'“The Last Exiles” by Ann Shin was not only an eloquently written book, but an unforgettable one—one that provided such a rare, but perceptive, glimpse of life in North Korea and about a story so raw and poignant, that ultimately moved me to pieces.' Goodreads review

EDITION Mass Market Paperback