The One True Me and You

A Novel

Pub Date 01 Mar 2022 | Archive Date 15 Mar 2022
St. Martin's Press, Wednesday Books

“A breezy, snappy story about fandom, friendships, and being true to yourself.”—TJ Klune

One small fandom convention. One teen beauty pageant.
One meet cute waiting to happen.

Up and coming fanfic author Kaylee Beaumont is internally screaming at the chance to finally meet her fandom friends in real life and spend a weekend at GreatCon. She also has a side quest for the weekend:

· Try out they/them pronouns to see how it feels
· Wear more masculine-presenting cosplay
· Kiss a girl for the first time

It’s…a lot, and Kay mostly wants to lie face down on the hotel floor. Especially when her hometown bully, Miss North Carolina, shows up in the very same hotel. But there’s this con-sponsored publishing contest, and the chance to meet her fandom idols…and then, there’s Teagan.

Pageant queen Teagan Miller (Miss Virginia) has her eye on the much-needed prize: the $25,000 scholarship awarded to the winner of the Miss Cosmic Teen USA pageant. She also has secrets:

· She loves the dresses but hates the tiaras
· She’s a giant nerd for everything GreatCon
· She’s gay af

If Teagan can just keep herself wrapped up tight for one more weekend, she can claim the scholarship and go off to college out and proud. If she’s caught, she could lose everything she’s worked for. If her rival, Miss North Carolina, has anything to do with it, that’s exactly how it’ll go down.

When Teagan and Kay bump into one another the first night, sparks fly. Their connection is intense—as is their shared enemy. If they’re spotted, the safe space of the con will be shattered, and all their secrets will follow them home. The risks are great…but could the reward of embracing their true selves be worth it?

A big-hearted, joyful romance and a love letter to all things geek, Remi K. England's The One True Me and You is a *witness me* celebration of standing up for, and being, yourself.

“A love letter to the support of online communities, to the friendships that define you, and to the ongoing, lifelong challenge to define yourself.”—Emma Lord

One small fandom convention. One teen beauty pageant.
One meet cute waiting to happen.

Up and coming fanfic...

PRICE CA$24.99 (CAD)

This was awesome fun read. A one-sit reading binge. All the best things of fandom, writing, and romance all rolled into one adorable package.I adored both MCs, Remi K. England did an great job of crafting these characters and making them real people with depth and distinctively wonderful personalities. Read this book. You will LOVE it. Special thanks to St. Martin’s Griffin and Netgalley for sharing this ARC with me in exchange for an honest review.

I wish this book didn't end. This is a love letter to loving things, and I'm here for it. Teagan and Kay's story was so sweet, I would recommend this to everyone.

This book has a permanent place in the spot in my heart that exists just to love nerdy, queer fandom books. If you read and loved Ashley Poston's Once Upon a Con books, Queens of Geek by Jen Wilde, Down With This Ship by Katie Kingman then you'll love how this book highlights the amazing world of fandom. And if you're a fan of Julie Murphy's Dumplin' or Miss Meteor by Anna Marie McLemore and Tehlor Kay Mejia you'll love how the story takes on pageant culture and it's complicated relationship to feminism. It was a little insta-lovey but still so adorable.

Remi K England has written the book that everyone should read. Full of great characters that show immense growth in such a short span of time to breaking down barriers, this is the book for 2021. The One True Me and You destroys stereotypes at the same time as teaching about pronouns and how easy they are to use in everyday life. However, most importantly for me, was the self discovery journey that we got to join Kay on. It felt like healing to me. A wonderful must read book from a debut author.

This was a sweet, adorable read! Teagan is a pageant queen competing in for a national title, with a few secrets kept safe from the pageant world. Kay is fanfic author attending a con with their friends, that just happens to be held in the same place as Miss Cosmic Teen USA. Both characters are working on discovering themselves and becoming more confident in who they truly are while dealing with pressures and standards of traditional society. There's a meet-cute, there's acceptance and joy, there's learning that there's more than meets the eye, and there's a lot of chasing your dreams and gaining confidence by being your most true self. Highly recommend for people who like YA, rom-coms, and the Miss Congeniality movie, with a side of geekery and fandoms (especially Sherlock)! This book went by so quickly and the pace was fantastic. England wrote very honestly about the experience of trying out new pronouns and trying to figure out who you are, but also kept a happy, positive tone throughout, which I enjoyed reading! 4.5 stars rounded up. Thank you to Netgalley and St. Martin's Press for the e-ARC in exchange for an honest review!

This book is everything I love in a YA book. As an adult reader of young adult books, sometimes the angst and drama of the teenage years is hard to revisit. I don't always feel like I can relate or enjoy YA when I find the problems to be so small in the grand scheme of things-- I didn't feel that way with this book. The characters definitely talk, act, and feel like highschoolers, but the issues that they are facing aren't small, meaningless dramas. These characters tackle sexual identity, discrimination, bullying, and self-esteem in a way that is meaningful and relevant to any reader-- all while remaining lighthearted and with very YA romcom vibes! In short, it was just a beautifully told story about Teagan and Kay who meet when a pageant and a fan convention are held at the same hotel. They can't seem to keep away from each other even though they really ought to be focused on their owl goals: winning a pageant scholarship and writing contest! Other thoughts: One of Kay's other weekend goals includes asking others to use they/them pronouns for them, wear more masculine-presenting cosplay, and hopefully, kissing a girl for the first time. The inner thoughts surrounding these personal goals, and all of the dialogue around gender identity was really well done. The side characters were awesome friend groups who do amazing cheerleading and support for one another. This book shows a kinder side to pageants than what is portrayed in most books and movies. I binge read this book in a day. The characters and the story is one I didn't want to put down even for a moment!

Oh my God. This story was so sweet and cute!! I found myself just rooting for the characters right up until the end! I highly recommend this book!

This book! This book is pure delight from start to finish. Kay and Teagan are so warm and wonderful as individual characters. Fierce in their own ways and soft in others and they complement each other so well. This is a perfect book for fans of Jenn Dugan and reminded me a lot of a cross between Verona Comics and Some Girls Do. I can't recommend this highly enough.

This book! If you're looking for a fun, swoony, and tension-filled read--with a healthy dose of fandom love--this book is for you! It manages to capture the joy and drama of fandom and the complicated, messy truth of figuring out queer identity with an ultimate message of compassion--for others and yourself. The book gripped me from the start, and I flew through it in less than a day. I highly recommend it!