How the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World Were Built

Pub Date 12 Oct 2021 | Archive Date Not set
Publisher Spotlight, Albatros Media

Talking about this book? Use #HowtheSevenWondersoftheAncientWorldWereBuilt #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

We admire the ancient wonders today, but somebody had to build them. No heavy machinery, no semitrucks, no cement mixers. How was it even possible to build such wonders as pyramids and temples in ancient times?

Each one was unique, its beauty and magnificence lauded by the greatest poets and writers of the age. Everyone longed to see for themselves the Wonders of the World: the Colossus of Rhodes, the majestic Great Pyramids of Giza, the Lighthouse of Alexandria (which withstood earthquakes and gales), the spellbinding Statue of Zeus at Olympia, the breathtaking Temple of Artemis in Ephesus, the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus, and the Hanging Gardens of Babylon (inspiration for so many myths and legends). Just one of them—the pyramids—survives today. But come with us as we go back in time and learn the secrets of how these gems of ancient architecture were created. The building of each architectural masterpiece comprised so many details and small jobs, so much daily grind and sustained effort, with or without the help of machines.

PRICE CA$23.99 (CAD)

Send To Kindle (PDF)

So, so cool! Kid me would have spent hours poring over this, studying the detailed illustrations and soaking up all the trivia, how-tos, and contextual information. This is so very readable and interesting--key concepts are broken into manageable chunks and are conveyed in a casual, humorous style to avoid the boredom and alienation that can come from dry historical tomes. The nerdy kids will be in heaven and even reluctant readers will find plenty to engage with. This would be an awesome enrichment book for elementary and even into middle grades and would make a great addition to classroom and school libraries! Many thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review!

A fantastic and colourful children’s non-fiction book filled with many fantastic facts! This book was read with my 7 year old, and he marvelled at the illustrations and the captions. He (and I!) both learned many new things, and the tone of the book and text is perfect for an audience of his age.

This is a cute children's book that is well written with great pictures! My children really enjoyed this book!

This book is a rare gem. It is bound to keep kids’ attention with captivating illustrations, historical information, building techniques… The text starts with the most captivating and mysterious Egyptian pyramids. While we don’t know how the pyramids were built in the desert that lacks wood and stone, the uncertainty doesn’t stop wonder. "How the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World Were Built" is a need-to-have book, perfect for boredom busters in every classroom/library.

This is a visually appealing nonfiction book that will draw interest from the casual browser who is only interested in the pictures and those interested in learning more by reading the text. I look forward to purchasing this book for my library. Thank you to the publisher and to Net Galley for providing me with an ARC in exchange for my honest review.