What hurts the most

Mary Mills Mystery, book 1

Pub Date 20 Nov 2015 | Archive Date Not set
Buoy Media, Mystery Series

Talking about this book? Use #Whathurtsthemost #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

You will never guess the ending!

Am I pretty?

Imagine being asked that question standing face to face with a killer. What would you answer?

While her life is going from bad to worse, journalist Mary Mills receives a disturbing phone call from her father. Her brother was arrested, charged with murder.

Mary decides to go back to her hometown of Cocoa Beach, Florida, which she left twenty years back and has never visited since.

Working with her old friends in from High School, she tracks down the most disturbing and surprising killer this town has ever faced before a shocking conclusion turns everything upside down for them.

Determined to solve the murder and to have her brother acquitted, Mary, is forced to face demons from her past she never thought she would have to again.

What Hurts the Most is a chilling, fast-paced story of the power of friendship, but also murder and revenge.

It’s the first in Willow Rose’s new series about Mary Mills and her childhood friends from Cocoa Beach. It is full of the twists and turns that Willow Rose is known and loved for by readers all over the world.

You will never guess the ending!

Am I pretty?

While her life is going from bad to worse, journalist Mary...

Advance Praise

More than 2000 five-star reviews on Goodreads and Amazon.

More than 2000 five-star reviews on Goodreads and Amazon.

EDITION Paperback

'What Hurts the Most' is one of those books that pull you in from the start and does not let go. I was completely blown away by the storyline. It was definitely an engrossing, heart-stopping thriller that had so many twists and turns that left me speechless. I loved how the story played out. One thrilling scenario after another.

I just read "What Hurts the Most", by Willow Rose. I thought it was a great book. The author did a great job on introducing a vibrant, passionate main character in the book named Mary. Mary is called back to her small home town because she needs to solve a mystery that is directly related to her past. In order to do so, she must confront and solve the issues of her past and acknowledge what made her leave. When the first read this book, I though the ending was simply too outrageous, but then when I found out that there was a series coming, I thought the ending was excellent because it sets up further adventures and pursuits for Mary. The book was well written, well-paced and included intrigue and suspense to keep the pages turning. In enjoyed this book very much and really liked the main character. She was flawed but fiercely devoted to helping others. The ending left me wanting more, and wanting to read more about Mary's adventures. I recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of this genre. You will be entertained and intrigued throughout. Thank you to Net Galley for providing me with a copy of this book . I will definately be reading moe from this author.

This is a new to me author. I simply loved this novel. I was hooked by the end of the first chapter. We are introduced to many and separate characters. The thrill of the novel is trying to figure out how all these characters and their storylines connect and come together in the end. Tons of twists and turns and nail biting suspense sum up this novel. I highly recommend this book and can’t wait to read more from this author!

This is the first book in a series, there were a lot of characters but it was an easy read, and I can’t wait to read more. This is my first book by this author and it definitely won’t be my last!

First book in a new series. Likable characters, smooth writing with even storytelling. I look forward to reading more from this series and Willow Rose.

Willow Rose has a wonderful ability to write these complex storylines with multiple characters and pull them all together for a stunning conclusion. They are fast reads that keep you guessing until the end. If you enjoy stories that keep you involved these are for you. This particular book was inspired by the author's admission of reading about Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy. I think this is the first book that I have read where this is part of the story. It was a wonderful inclusion and it was a surprise as to which character was the victim of their mother's disease.

I've read Willow Rose's work before and this book lives up to the usual standard. Would definitely recommend this book to anyone.

How is this the first time I've heard about this author?!? What Hurts the Most is a perfectly fun, quick, beach read! The storyline is dark and devious. and will have you sucked right in. Mary Mills returns to her home town in Cocoa Beach, when he brother is accused of murder. She was recently fired from her job at the NY Times. She's still trying to come to terms with her divorce and raising her son in NY, while her ex husband is living in FL. The return trip home resurrects a lot of issues from the past. I love, love, loved the 7th Street Gang and all of their interactions. Very fun characters! There are also a few storylines concurrently occurring. These all end up wrapped in a nice bow at the end, but this is only book 1 of the series....I'm looking forward to devouring the remaining two books! A special thank you to NetGalley, Buoy Media, and Willow Rose for providing me with an copy.

Enjoyable thriller with plenty of twists and turns. I am a huge fan of Willow Rose and always look forward to reading her books!

Mary Mills is a famous journalist who is fired by her newspaper in New York due to writing a story that didn't fit their narrative. Meanwhile, her father asks her to come back to her hometown of Cocoa Beach, FL to help her younger brother who is in trouble with the law. She returns and teams up with her old crowd to try to figure out what is going on. One of her old crowd is her ex-husband who just loves surfing and didn't like NY. He is the father or her young son. I'll just stop right here and say that I chose 4 of Willow Rose's books to review, never having heard of this author before, but always a fan of a good law enforcement story. Wow! I was hooked immediately. I then discovered that Ms. Rose is a prolific writer and proceeded to order all her books from 3 of her series so I could read the WHOLE story. I had a reading marathon. I am hooked and can't wait to read more. Highly recommend anything by this author! I have voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book that I received from NetGalley. All views expressed are only my honest opinion.

I’ve read books by the author before. This is a new series and this book is brilliant, so much so I have just bought the next 3. Brilliant characters and a great style of writing where lots of lives are discussed and brought together in a cover way. The main character Mary is endearing and I love the setting of Florida where the book is based. Gripping, twisty and easy to read.

Mary Mills returns to Cocoa Beach with her son to help her brother who is accused of a murder. She has been gone for twenty years but her friends all are there to help her solve the mystery so her brother can be released from prison. Many heart wrenching things have happened to them but they are there for each other as if they had never parted. There are women who were from the same group in high school being killed also and she tries to find out who is responsible. After looking back at some of the things that happened to those in the story you will find a surprise in the ending.

What Hurts the Most by Willow Rose is one heck of a thrill ride, from start to finish. Life is going downhill fast for journalist Mary Mills. Then her father calls, letting her know that her younger brother was arrested for a gruesome murder. Mary immediately flies back to her hometown of Cocoa Beach, Florida. She left twenty years ago and hasn't been back since. Working with her oldest, lifelong friends, she manages to track down the most disturbing killer her town has ever seen. Determined to solve the murder and to have her brother freed, Mary's forced to face demons that she thought were dead and buried. A surprise twist changes everything for her and her loved ones. This was such a great read, I literally couldn't put it down. Willow Rose is easily becoming one of my favorite suspense writers.

Another gripping and highly entertaining story by this author. I had a lot of fun, the solid mystery kept me hooked and guessing. Good plot full of twists and turns, interesting characters. Highly recommended. Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine

This is the first in a series of Mary Mills. She goes home to Cocoa Beach, Florida to get her brother released from jail. She has friends that she meets back up with that she has not seen in years included her ex. This is a very action packed thriller that has twists that are so good. Definitely check out this author!

This book pulled me in and did not let me go!!!! So good. Thanks to NetGalley, the author and the publisher for the arc of this book in return for my honest review. Receiving this book in this manner had no bearing on my review.

The first in a new series from Willow Rose. Mary Mills is a reporter in New York and gets fired from her job, just as she is wondering how she is going to support herself and her son, Salter, she gets a call to say her brother had been arrested for murder. So she decides to return to her hometown of Cocoa Beach to help him and once there she reconnects with old friends including her ex husband. Great characters and storylines that all make this an exciting read I can’t wait for the next one!

I discovered Willow Rose on NetGalley and cannot wait to read every single on of her novels. "What Hurts the Most" is a light easy read but full of suspense. I loved this novel so much, and highly recommend you find her novels and sit down for a long read!

1st book in the 7th Street Crew series. Willow Rose adds another series to her prolific back library where the titles cover all genres and themes. A Willow Rose fan knwos that her books are not the run of the mill usual mystery solving books. Happily ever after is just a suggestion, not a rule. Her characters live in a world where anything can, and has, happened. When her brother's arrest for murder provides Mary Mills' the perfect excuse to return to her hometown and move in with her father....and her sterotypical stepmother....she will find herself back in the familiar circle of friends, family, and ex-husband that she had thought in her past. Seems Mary wrote one too many stories for publication where the facts could not be verified. She finds herself without a job and needing a soft place for she and her son to land. if you've read any of Willow Rose's back library, you know that Mary's soft landing will not be soft. As Mary and her circle of friends work to prove her brother innocent, the story takes a few sudden twists and your guess to the real killer will change often. Another great series start for Rose and her readers.

There is a lot of different people, with each their own storyline - I'll be honest, I was confused at first. But as I kept reading, a complex and disturbing plot unfolded before me. This is one of those books that leaves you speechless... I don't really know how to explain it, except to say OMG, what a plot twist (which happened more than once!) If you are into mysteries at all, you really should pick this one up!

This is the start of a new series by Willow Rose and wow what a start, i really enjoyed this book it had great characters and a fab story line full of twists and turns that keep you enthralled to the end. I read this in 2 sittings and can’t wait for the next book. This was the first book i’ve read by this author and will definitely checking out her other books, while waiting for the second instalment. Thank you NetGalley for the copy in return for an honest review.