Year of the Rocket
John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History
by Paul Woods
This title was previously available on NetGalley and is now archived.
Pub Date 01 Sep 2021 | Archive Date 01 Sep 2021
The century-old Toronto Argonauts, like the rest of The Canadian Football League, seemed to be in shambles in 1991. Until, suddenly, everything changed.
The Argos were acquired by an unlikely trio: the greatest hockey player of all time, Wayne Gretzky; a universally beloved comic genius, John Candy; and an upstart sports magnate, Bruce McNall, whose apparent Midas touch masked dark secrets. They audaciously swiped the most-hyped college athlete in years, Rocket Ismail, from under the nose of the NFL by signing him to the richest football contract ever, and set their sights on a league championship. The Blues Brothers were flown in from Europe to perform with Candy at Rocket’s first game and the season only got crazier from there...
Year of the Rocket is the untold saga of one of the greatest gambles in sports history, and one of the most unforgettable seasons on any gridiron, brought to life by a veteran sportswriter who combines meticulous research with the perspective and passion of a lifelong fan.
A Note From the Publisher
About the Author: PAUL WOODS is a journalist, Canadian football historian, and author of "Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs".
- Advance Reader Copy push to trade and consumer media
- PR campaign for reviews, interviews, features/profiles, and excerpt placements with local and national media in North America (sports, football, books, human interest/features, non-fiction)
- NetGalley promotions
- Targeted advertising campaigns on Facebook, Goodreads and BookBub for Featured New Release promotion
- Pre-order push and ongoing release promotion in Sutherland House Books newsletter and social media
- Book blogger and Bookstagrammer campaign for spotlights, giveaways, author Q&As, and excerpt placements