Walter Does His Best

A Frenchie Adventure in Kindness and Muddy Paws

Pub Date 07 Sep 2021 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #WalterDoesHisBest #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

What does it mean to be a good neighbor? From Central Park to Broadway to Times Square, Walter the French Bulldog is on a mission of kindness in this hilarious dog adventure story from ABC's Good Morning America's Eva Pilgrim.

Walter's heart is full of kindness, but this little dog's efforts to help his neighbors don't go as planned. Journalist Eva Pilgrim's charming narrative and Jessica Gibson's vibrant illustrations make Walter Does His Best a wonderful way to introduce kids ages 4-8 to new adventures in kindness.

This beautiful jacketed hardcover

encourages children to look for opportunities to be kindaffirms that everyone makes mistakesappeals to kids' enjoyment of animalscelebrates authors of colorcan be read aloud for story time or enjoyed as an independent readintroduces kids to New York City landmarks in a fun, colorful way!

Join Walter for a jaunt through Central Park, inside a Broadway theater, onto subway cars, through the Rockefeller Center gardens, and all the way to Coney Island as he tries his very, messy best to be a good dog--and learns that what matters most is the love you share with others every day.

Thanks to Netgalley and Thomas Nelson Kids for a free digital copy. Walter just wants to be a good dog, but people don't seem to appreciate all the things he does. Maybe he is a bit on the wrong page. So cute and funny. The story itself is great but add in all the detailed and fun illustrations and it's amazing.

Poor Walter tries his best to be a good dog...and he really means well! Unfortunately his attempts to help usually go a bit sideways. Lively illustrations depict Walter's misadventures humorously and kids will likely find lots to giggle at. Hopefully they will also absorb the message that it's important to try to be thoughtful, helpful, and kind when one can, even if things don't quite go as planned! Many thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review.

This is an adorable little book about a dog who tries his best, but can't seem to do anything right. I think a lot of people can relate to that. I loved the illustrations and the Frenchie noise. As someone who has a French bulldog, I could definitely hear it out loud. I know this is a kid's book, but the ending wasn't really an ending. I would have liked to see Walter and his owner work together to get better. Don't put the blame on either party, but look at how could they work to solve the problems Walter causes. I think that executed without being too preachy would have been the perfect book.

This is definitely one that I'll be adding to my first grade classroom library! Walter is an adventurous dog who unknowingly creates havoc but has only good intentions. Children will enjoy the important lessons that everyone makes mistakes and that kindness wins. The backdrop of New York City will appeal to my students who will undoubtedly recognize many landmarks in the vibrant illustrations.

Very cute story about a dog that just wants to be good and kind but doesn't seem to notice the havoc he tends to create. In the end, his owner gives him the assurance he needs. Sweet story with great illustrations!

Initial response: Such a cute book! After thought: I enjoyed the book because it was adorable, plus the images help create a unique story in and of itself.

Walter is a very good dog but everyone he meets thinks otherwise. The illustrations humorously juxtapose Walter's vantage point from how the rest of the world really sees him. Pet owners with rambunctious dogs will definitely relate and kids will enjoy the humor of this little dog's tale. P.S. And anyone with a discerning eye will recognize that it's the owner who needs better training, and NOT Walter.

The subtitle of "Walter Does His Best" presents the book's plot succinctly: "A Frenchie Adventure In Kindness and Muddy Paws". Eva Pilgrim's story is about a small dog who wants two things: to be a good neighbor and to get to ride in a car. His attempts at being a good dog usually go awry, in scenarios illustrated humorously by Jessica Gibson. The setting of the story is a bustling NYC. Young readers should find lots to love in this sweet story of a plucky dog determined to help others and realize his dream.

This is such a fun book! A very cute story with vibrant illustrations. My daughter asked me to read it again and again. Will definitely be purchasing.

Cute story about a dog who tries his best but just can't seem to get it right. Great illustrations enhance the text.

Walter is absolutely adorable! He tries so hard to do the right thing, and it doesn't always work out. But in the end, it's not his actions that make him loveable—it's Walter himself. I give this cute story 4/5 stars because it went on a bit too long for how simple the concept was. Still, a fun read with a good message!

A very cute and funny story about the day in the life of a Frenchie that just wants to be the best dog he can be. My only issue is the part where they were at the theatre. Why is the lady all dressed up but Walter is obviously messy. Not consistent with her getting ready and still taking him too. Most Frenchie owners I know would have at least cleaned him up a bit and put something fancy on his harness or collar if they were going out fancy themselves. I know it's a children's book but my child noticed it too.

I loved this book! The illustrations were fabulous and if you are a lover of New York City, you will really enjoy this book. I loved Walter he was so cute and the book also had a great message!

This is cute story about a dog called Walter who tries to help people but it goes slightly wrong. I think young children with love this book. The illustrations and the writing really help thou to engage with the book. Thank you NetGalley for letting me read this book.

This was absolutely adorable! This is the story of Walter who thinks he’s doing what is best but learns that maybe his ideas weren’t the best for everyone else but that he was trying and that’s more than okay. The art in this was so cute and super colorful! It really captured my attention and I know kids will love this silly story about the worlds cutest Frenchie! I recommend this honestly to everyone of any age. Especially if you love Frenchies as much as I do! 5/5⭐️

What an adorable story! This book is about a cute Frenchie who thinks he is trying his best to be kind and help others around him. In reality he is causing chaos but he doesn't know that. Reminds me of Curious George but in dog form. My toddler loved this story and I loved the message of helping your neighbors and community. I will be picking up a copy to read over and over again! Thank you to NetGalley and Thomas Nelson for access to this ARC.

This is the story of Walter, the frenchie. He live in NY city and believes that he is helping others. Really he is creating trouble. He learns that he doesn't have to be perfect and it's okay to make mistakes. Children are going to love Walter's antics. He is going to make them giggle.

I absolutely loved the illustrations in this book! Anyone who loves dogs will love this book! He’s showing everyone to try their best!