Kamala Harris

Pub Date 28 Sep 2021 | Archive Date 31 Aug 2021

Talking about this book? Use #KamalaHarris #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

In this book from the highly acclaimed Little People, BIG DREAMS series, discover the incredible life of Kamala Harris, the first woman, first Black person, and first South Asian American to be elected vice president of the USA.

Little Kamala used to accompany her parents to civil rights marches in California, strapped into her stroller so she wouldn’t get lost. From an early age, she dreamed of becoming a lawyer to help people in need. In school, Kamala felt like she could do anything and everything. She earned a law degree to make sure the most vulnerable were protected by justice. Kamala’s life was full of firsts, including becoming the first woman, Black woman, and South Asian American to be elected vice president. As Kamala stated to little girls everywhere in her speech—she may be the first but she won't be the last. This powerful book features stylish and quirky illustrations and extra facts at the back, including a biographical timeline with historical photos and a detailed profile of the politician’s life.

Little People, BIG DREAMS is a best-selling series of books and educational games that explore the lives of outstanding people, from designers and artists to scientists and activists. All of them achieved incredible things, yet each began life as a child with a dream.

This empowering series offers inspiring messages to children of all ages, in a range of formats. The board books are told in simple sentences, perfect for reading aloud to babies and toddlers. The hardcover versions present expanded stories for beginning readers. Boxed gift sets allow you to collect a selection of the books by theme. Paper dolls, learning cards, matching games, and other fun learning tools provide even more ways to make the lives of these role models accessible to children.

Inspire the next generation of outstanding people who will change the world with Little People, BIG DREAMS!

My kids and I are a big fan of the Little People, Big Dreams series and I wasn't familiar with Kamala's background, so we decided to read this one together. The book is well done and informative, As usual, we enjoyed the graphics in this addition. My kids didn't find it as engaging as some of the other books, but it was still an enjoyable read overall.

We adults often under-estimate the curiosity of little children. As kids watched their parents watch the news during the last presidential elections, I am sure they were brimming with questions - far too many for adults to patiently answer. Even if patience were aplenty, sometimes adults find it challenging to convey the information in simple kid-friendly language - this is where this book comes to the rescue. Love the factual tone of the book and how it traces Kamala Harris' journey. A must-read to satisfy the curiosity of the littlest ones! …........................................... My review of Kamala Harris and Rosalind Franklin on Instagram: If you are a fan of the “Little People, Big Dreams” series, these books are to look out for – Rosalind Franklin and Kamala Harris (releasing in August and September 2021). Rosalind Franklin’s contribution to science despite facing bias, will appeal to kids’ innate sense of justice (especially as we try to get more girls in STEM). And the simple yet informative book on Kamala Harris will satisfy the never-ending questions our littlest ones may have had about the lady they so often encounter on TV. What I like best about the books (apart from the kid friendly text and uncluttered illustrations) is the way they end with recommendations of further readings, subtly giving a message that learning and reading never end.

A great addition to this wonderful series! I loved learning about Kamala Harris's childhood and the activism that encouraged her journey into law and politics. A very inspiring book about the first female vice president in the United States! Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for providing this ARC.

Little People, BIG DREAMS Kamala was born and raised with her sister to a mum from India who was in cancer research and a dad from Jamaica who was a professor and both were involved in social justice programs. Her parents later divorced, but they still got along and Kamala enjoyed fun times with each grandfather in his own country. As she got older, she finished her college degrees and began to hold a lot of firsts in law, the senate, and more. The illustrations that are mostly simple and forthright as created by Lauren Semmer. One of a series for adults to read to children and for ESL to polish their English and learn about people who have shaped their world. I requested and received a free temporary ebook copy from Quarto Publishing Group – Frances Lincoln Children's Books via NetGalley. Thank you!

Kamala Harris is the newest lead in this latest edition of the Little People, BIG DREAMS series by Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara. This series is such a delight and the perfect way to educate not just kids but everyone about historic and cultural icons. Kamala Harris is an American politician and attorney who is the 49th and current vice president of the United States. She is the first female vice president and the highest-ranking female official in U.S. history, as well as the first African American and first Asian American vice president. The book follows Kamala as she attends Howard and earns her law law degree to being elected California's attorney general and her work now as the current Vice President of the United States. Lauren Semmer illustrates this installment and does a fantastic job. Semmer's art style was so captivating and her art definitely further helped tell Harris' story. I love collecting these books and am so thrilled to add this one to the rest of my collection. I received this book free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

Sweet illustrations share a quick and kid friendly version of kamala Harris's childhood. Definitely loving this series!

I received an electronic ARC from The Quarto Group through the US Book Show and NetGalley. Another terrific option in this series by Sanchez Vegara. The biography takes readers from Harris's childhood through election as US Vice President with emphasis on how groundbreaking her career has been. The illustrations enhance the information and allow readers to see into her life. Further information is provided at the end of the book.

This newest addition to the Little People, BIG DREAMS series is fantastic! Our young people need access to easy-to-read books with simple visuals that highlight historic and cultural heroes. This book follows Kamala Harris as a young girl until her recent post as Vice President of the United States. Children will read about Kamala’s background as a biracial child of a Jamaican father and an Indian mother. They will read about two well educated parents, a university professor and a cancer researcher, who fostered the importance of education and social justice. Despite her parents divorce, Kamala was encouraged by both to reach for the stars and she did … not only is she an American politician and attorney, she’s the first female, first African American, first Asian American Vice President and highest ranking female official in the history of the USA. The need to make sure the vulnerable are protected comes across clear in this book. The timeline and photos are a nice touch at the end and I love how it encourages children to search out and increase their knowledge of this heroine who encourages and serves others. Publishes September 28, 2021. I was gifted this advance copy by Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara, Quarto Publishing Group and NetGalley and was under no obligation to provide a review.

A fantastic message of perserverance and determination for young children. One day, they too could be in office!

Thank you for the advanced copy. What a beautiful little book, so well put together with very interesting titbits about Kamala. Great for children, my nephews will love this. Recommended

Nice inspiring book for children. Liked it and would recommend to parents, for their children. Its in simple language for children to understand.

I can't wait to get this in my classroom! Not only will it be engaging because it's about a contemporary figure, but the story is told with such energy, purpose, and hope that the kids will definitely be invested. The illustrations are colorful and the language is clear, simple and direct. This offers exactly the message I want the kids to hear--anything is possible and helping is always a worthwhile pursuit. Many thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review!

"I received a complimentary copy of this book through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own." I thought this was a really well done children's version of a biography on Kamala Harris. It included great, interesting tidbits of information that aren't widely known.

The ARC of this book was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. The ‘My First Little People, Big Dreams’ series provides informative and inspirational biographies about people who left a mark on this earth, no matter what difficulties they have encountered. These stories are very short, but that’s because they’re books for children, so it’s totally understandable. I think they are a very smart and wonderful way to introduce little children to such important figures. This little book tells the story of Kamala Harris, the first woman, first Black person, and first South Asian American to be elected Vice President of the USA. She is making History.

I absolutely loved this book! It’s such a great feeling to read/see someone who looks like you achieve so many great things. I think this is a wonderful educational book for children to learn about the first woman VP!