Getaway With Murder

The Mountain Lodge Mysteries

Pub Date 26 Oct 2021 | Archive Date 09 Nov 2021
St. Martin's Press, St. Martin's Paperbacks

Getaway With Murder is the first in a cozy series from Diane Kelly set in a lodge in the Blue Ridge Mountains, where secrets hide behind every hill.

As if hitting the half-century mark wasn’t enough, Misty Murphy celebrated her landmark birthday by amicably ending her marriage and investing her settlement in a dilapidated mountain lodge at the top of the Blue Ridge Mountains. With the old inn teetering on both a bluff and bankruptcy, she must have lost her ever-loving mind.

Luckily, handyman Rocky Crowder has a knack for rehabbing virtual ruins and for doing it on a dime, and to Misty’s delight, the lodge is fully booked on opening night, every room filled with flexible folks who’d slipped into spandex and ascended the peak for a yoga retreat with plans to namastay for a full week. Misty and her guests are feeling zen—at least until the yoga instructor is found dead.

With a killer on the loose and the lodge’s reputation hanging in the balance, Misty must put her detective-skills to the test. Only one thing is as clear as a sunny mountain morning—she must solve the crime before the lodge ends up, once again, on the brink.

As if hitting the half-century mark wasn’t enough...

Kindle Copy for Review from NetGalley and St. Martin's Press. I received a free, advance copy of this book and this is my unbiased and voluntary review. A divorce woman moves to the mountains and buys a lodge. She’ll be charmed the friendly characters she met there and with the aid of a handyman who will help on the renovations. Soon the quiet mountains will be rocked by a murder. Watch her and her new friends find a killer. An enjoyable new cozy read.

This is a delightful book with the right amount of intrigue, mystery, smart deduction and a side of romance to keep me entertained and turning the pages. I enjoyed it so much that I finished it in one sitting. It was fun to work through with the main character whodunit as the author gives enough clues that the reader can try to put it together. My only criticism is that the chapters in Yeti's voice did not add anything and confused me at first. I thought they would be giving a clue or two, but nothing helpful. It might get fixed in the final copy, but in this draft, the headings to show if it was Yeti or Misty looked like the first line of the chapter and that is how I read it the first couple of times which added to my confusion. It looks like this will be a new series. The setting and characters will be a delight to discover as we progress into the series. It is set near Asheville and the Smokey Mountains so had me marking places mentioned to add to my go-visit list. As a cozy mystery, I give it 3.5 stars.

Fun first of a new series! I always like reading about the “old” people and this was pretty solid; good characters, good mystery, and some easy red herrings. She can be a tad bit overzealous in her internal thoughts, but it was ok. What I didn’t understand was why we need thoughts from her cat; it was very randomly thrown in and offered nothing to the storyline at all.

This is a fun book to read.. it was sent to me on Kindle by. Netgalley for review…I look forward to reading more stories by his author as her characters come alive on the pages…she shows us what is going on…enjoy,,,

What a great book, a winner! Getaway with Murder by Diane Kelly was a delight to read. Here we find Misty Murphy celebrating her birthday by ending her marriage and heading to the mountains after purchasing a dilapidated lodge at the top of Blue Ridge Mountains. The lodge is restored and all set to welcome guests. The first event is a retreat. However, when the yoga instructor is found dead Misty needs to figure out what happened if she wants guests to come back. Great flow to the story and wonderful well-crafted characters. I received this from Netgalley in exchange for my honest opinion and I must say I loved it!!

I absolutely loved this book filled with engaging characters and lots of red herrings to keep you guessing.

I loved this one! The MC Misty opens a lodge after her divorce. I really liked that her divorce was friendly. She is someone who I would enjoy a cup of coffee with. When she hosts her first group of guest. A yoga studio came for the week. Unfortunately one ends up dead under the new deck Misty had built. I also enjoyed the perspective from her cat a Yeti. I am looking forward to the next one. #GetawayWithMurder #NetGalley

This is a well-written story that has some wonderful characters that 'mature' people can relate to. Misty and Jack Murphy just sign the divorce papers and Misty goes off to the next phase of her life. She bought the old lodge that her family spent many happy times at. But she soon finds that things aren't as solid with the lodge as she thought. That is just the beginning of things for Misty. Can she make a go of owning her own business alone? Lucky for her, she meets some great people along the way. I really enjoyed this story very much. I voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book.

Getaway With Murder is the first book in Diane Kelly's Mountain Lodge Mystery series. I thought this was a delightful read and a strong start to a new series. I enjoyed getting to know Misty. I thought she was very genuine and level-headed. Misty is starting over after a divorce by purchasing an old mountain lodge at the top of the Blue Ridge Mountains. I loved the setting and the cozy atmosphere at the lodge. The cast of characters includes hunky handyman Rocky, Wiccan housekeeper Brynn, and diner owner Patty. I really liked these characters and look forward to seeing how Misty's relationship with them will continue to develop. I thought the mystery was solid. Misty's first group of guests are on a yoga retreat. When the yoga instructor is found dead, there are plenty of suspects to choose from and Misty is determined to get to the bottom of things. I can't wait to read the second book in the series. I think I'm going to love this series even more than the author's House- Flipper series. Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for the opportunity to read this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Getaway with Murder is a classic cozy mystery and a lot of fun to read. Misty, 50 and recently divorced, starts her new life by buying an old mountain lodge. After hiring the hunky handyman and a Wiccan housekeeper, the Mountaintop Lodge is open for business. The first group is a yoga studio retreat, but the woman leading the group is anything but zen. Misty is making friends with Patsy, owner of the diner across the road, and settling into her new role when a dead body is found at her lodge. Does she have a murderer staying at the lodge or did a stranger break in? Misty wants the murder solved and tries to help the investigation along. If you’re looking for a relaxing cozy mystery, this is a perfect fit. I loved the setting and the characters and am looking forward to the next in this new series.

Getaway With Murder by Diane Kelly is a great cozy mystery and it is the first in a new,, and promising series: Mountain Lodge Mystery. I really enjoyed the concept of a second go of life for 50 y/o Misty Murphy and her newly invested mountain lodge in the picturesque Blue Ridge Mountains. We get to meet the wonderful cast of characters, become established with the foundations of the series, and also are treated with an engaging murder/mystery. I enjoyed the dialogue, pacing, and Yeti is cute. I am looking forward to seeing where this series goes. 5/5 stars Thank you NG and St. Martin’s Press for this wonderful arc and in return I am submitting my unbiased and voluntary review and opinion. I am posting this review to my GR and Bookbub accounts immediately and will post it to my Amazon, Instagram, and B&N accounts upon publication.

What an absolutely charming cozy! I ate this book up with a spoon it was so good. I loved that it was set in the mountains and that it was a cozy but it was a different kind of cozy. Diane Kelly did a fabulous job with her new series. I loved the romantic angle and I cannot wait until the next book to see what happens. The mystery was so unique. And honestly, I was extremely happy to see a mystery that was able to work WITH the police instead of against them or because of their 'ineptitude.' That part I really enjoyed. The police were all written with respect and they were all very intelligent and sharp witted. They didn't just take the first clue they found and assume that it was the right killer. It was all very well done. I am so well pleased with this book that I would give it a ten instead of a five if I could. I loved that the MC had struggles just like regular folks do but instead of letting it be a problem, she uses it to her strengths and gets the job done. I thought everything was just extremely well written. I enjoyed reading about North Carolina and the mountains. I certainly didn't know that people spent months hiking the trail there. That is fascinating. This is my first book by Diane Kelly and I think she has just done an absolutely fabulous job. If all of her books are just as good as this one then I will be a life long reader for sure. I highly recommend this book, especially for people who love a good mystery with twists and turns, clean, love animals, and who want their books to be filled to the brim with adventures. Fantastic job! Thank you to Netgalley, the author, and the publishing company for the ability to read such a fantastic book. All opinions expressed are honest and completely my own.

I received this ARC via Netgalley and St. Martin’s Press/St. Martin’s Paperbacks, in return for an honest review. This is the first in a new series, set at a Blue Ridge mountain lodge. Misty Murphy, buoyed by fond memories while confronting her fiftieth birthday and a mutually-agreed divorce, purchases a mountain lodge and makes the move, along with her cat, Yeti. The story is told from both Yeti’s first person and Misty’s third person points of view. Unfortunate maintenance issues introduce Misty and Rocky Crowder, handyman extraordinaire. Thanks to his efforts, Misty can open and entice an entire yoga retreat group for a week-long seminar. Sadly, the peace and tranquility of the setting is lost when a retreat member is found dead, under the new back deck. Determined to protect her new home and her livelihood, Misty uses her skills as a host to both support and evaluate everyone at the lodge as a potential murder. This is a solid cozy and good start for a new series. In my one caveat, I agree with other reviewers’ comments that Yeti should either be expanded or removed from the next book in the series. In this opening book, I didn’t find them to do much to move the story forward. The author clearly creates the primary and supporting characters, setting the environment for the residents to return in future books.

Recently divorced woman who remains friendly with her ex is a terrific way to introduce Misty. I like that she is self sufficient (as much as possible) and knows when it's time to seek help. She reasons and makes decisions quickly-not stupidly, but carefully. She is in the Mountain top lodge business and it's obvious she has the abilities necessary to make it a success. I liked the fact that she is a strong middle aged woman. She relies on intuition and references from a neighboring business owner to hire a contractor on the spot for unexpected repairs, after a different contractor pushes his vision and agenda while padding the bill to an unreasonable amount. Turns out that was one of her best decisions ever, as Rocky becomes her maintenance man who is oh so capable and a nice guy to boot. She hires a younger woman (Bryn) to be her housekeeping help, and when Misty discovers Bryn is a Wiccan, she remains openminded. So many positives. Her first clients are a yoga retreat full of different personalities and unfortunately a murder. Red herrings abound, but the mystery is fun to unravel. Loads of interesting characters and scenic descriptions make the reader feel submerged into the story. My only complaint was Yeti, the cat. Why chapters were devoted to a cat's thoughts, I don't understand. I would have been happy to have the cat completely removed from the book, as she brought nothing to improve or advance the story. I would like to thank St. Martin's Press and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and freely review this book.

Getaway with Murder by Diane Kelly brings plenty of mystery, atmosphere, and secrets to the first book in her new cozy mystery series. The Mountain Lodge Mystery features 50 year-old Misty Murphy who has just signed her divorce papers and purchases a mountain lodge in the Blue Ridge Mountains in northwestern North Carolina. The inn is old and needs some work and handyman Rocky Crowder comes highly recommended. Opening day brings a full house of guests with a group from a yoga studio and spa. Unfortunately, the peaceful feelings don’t last long when a yoga instructor is found dead. The story is mainly told from Misty’s point of view, but there are a few chapters interspersed with thoughts from her cat, Baroness Blizzard also known as Yeti. While Yeti’s chapters aren’t necessary, they provide some humor and I enjoyed them. Misty is independent, resourceful, organized, and good with people. She quickly starts to make friends, but is worried about bad reviews with the events occurring at the lodge. Will she make a success of the lodge or go bankrupt? Rocky, the handyman, Brynn, her assistant, and diner owner Patty play pivotal roles as secondary characters and the yoga guests are a mixed group of personalities to lend a sense of realism. The setting was perfect for this novel and Ms. Kelly does a great job of transporting readers to the mountains of North Carolina. The winding roads, the trail descriptions, and even the southern foods were authentic. There are a few plot twists along the way along with plenty of suspects. The dialogue and pacing were on target. The characters and humor enhance it with both relatable characters like Misty and Rocky and obnoxious ones like the yoga studio owner and a bit of everything else in between. I also liked the fact that Misty worked with the police rather than hiding her sleuthing activities. I was immediately drawn into the Misty’s life and enjoyed the unraveling of the mystery and the development of friendships. Themes include murder, relationships, friendship, family, life’s curveballs, and starting a new business. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this novel, which was suspenseful, engaging, and atmospheric. In both of the books I have read by this author, I had a connection with the writing style that I found relatable, vivid, and irresistible. I can’t wait to find out what happens during the next book in the series. I recommend this to those that like cozy mysteries with a more mature main character. St. Martin’s Press – St. Martin’s Paperbacks and Diane Kelly provided a complimentary digital ARC of this novel via NetGalley. This is my honest review. Opinions are mine alone and are not biased in any way. Publication date is currently expected to be October 26, 2021. This review was originally posted at Mystery and Suspense Magazine.

Genre: cozy mystery Pub date: October 26, 2021 In one sentence: Fresh off an amicable divorce, Misty Murphy buys a lodge in the Blue Ridge mountains, but water damage and murder are unwelcome guests. I really enjoyed this first book in the Mountain Lodge Mysteries - it takes place near Beech Mountain, where I used to vacation with family as a kid. Kelly does a great job capturing the atmosphere of the area - it made me very nostalgic. Misty was a great protagonist and I loved her friendship/flirtation with handyman Rocky. And restaurant owner Patty's breakfasts sounded divine - I need some grits stat. Misty's cat Yeti narrated a few chapters, and I enjoyed this chance to get her take on the situation. The mystery was compelling, and I didn't guess the culprit. Great sleuth + fun supporting cast + good mystery = one entertaining cozy mystery! If you like cozy mysteries and the mountains, definitely check this one out for a cozy fall read! Thank you to St. Martin's Press for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed this cozy, slightly romantic murder mystery by Diane Kelly. The main character, Misty, buys a mountaintop lodge that she has frequented throughout her life. It is an idyllic setting in the Blue Ridge Mountains, but her first set of guests brings a mystery and a murder. I feel like we are being introduced to various characters such as Patty, who runs the diner next door, and Rocky, the handsome handyman who is interested in Misty, who will be in later books in a possible series. A few short chapters are told by the perspective of Misty's cat, Yeti, which threw me off at first, but as they were short (usually just one page) chapters, they were ok and kind of cute. Overall the author jumped around throwing out facts and hunches with Misty trying to figure out who did it, and despite feeling a bit redundant at times in describing some of the characters, she did a good job. I enjoyed the book more and more as it went on. I really enjoyed the story and I would read another by this author! I appreciated that there was not any foul language or racy scenes in the book, if you are looking to avoid that kind of thing. I received an ARC of this book as a reviewer for NetGalley.

I really enjoyed and highly recommend the first in Diane Kelly's Mountain Lodge Mystery series. 'Getaway With Murder" is a great mystery with a great cast of characters including Yeti the cat. Misty Murphy is newly divorce and has purchased a lodge in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Rocky the handyman is helping at the lodge with some structural damage . I loved the relationship between these two as they try to solve the murder of the first guest in the lodge . This is a great mystery with romance and humor that I really enjoyed . Looking forward to more books in the series .

Starting the next chapter of your life in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains. What could possibly go wrong? I loved the storyline of this book. The characters are wonderful. They are definitely a mix of personalities. I loved hearing all of Yeti’s thoughts. Misty, Rocky, and Brynn, they’ve got it under control. Who wouldn’t want to eat at the Greasy Griddle especially when Patty comes with it? Love “hole-in-the-wall” places to eat and that what this reminds me of. They usually have the best food around. Yoga folks might be laid back, but I can’t wait to find out about some biker chicks. I received this book from NetGalley, but my opinion is my own.

I highly recommend the first in Diane Kelly's Mountain Lodge Mystery series. 'Getaway With Murder" has the perfect combination of mystery, humor in the form of a cat named Yeti, personal growth and romance. Misty Murphy uses her amicable divorce settlement to purchase a lodge in the Blue Ridge Mountains with which she associates many fond memories. As she arrives part of the structure becomes unstable after 'a minor drainage problem' and the back part of the lodge and foundation collapses. Enter delightful handyman Rocky Crowder and the fun begins. Together Misty and Rocky work to solve the mysterious death of the first guest who stayed at the Mountain Lodge. There were many suspects, and the ending was surprising to me. I look forward to many more in the series. I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. The opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.

This is a new series by Diane Kelly. I really enjoy her stories and writing. Misty Murphy buys an inn in the mountains after she divorces her husband. Once she gets there the Inn is in worse shape that she thought. Luckily Rocky Crowder, all around handy man, is there to help her. There is a murder among her first guests – so Misty must solve it to save her business. This is a cute not quite cozy mystery which was fun to read. I recommend this book and looking forward to the next one.

I loved this book! This contemporary cozy has a well crafted who-dun-it, with plenty of suspects with good reasons to off the victim. The main character is a middle aged freshly divorced mother, one with an empty nest. She has a good relationship with her ex, showing a strong character, Misty had bought an inn with the settlement of her divorce and is determined to make it a good living. She has a rocky start, but with the advice from another business owner, turns the lemons into lemonade and gets a full booking shortly thereafter. The clients are a varied group and add interest to the mix. Her newest employee gives her pause, because she’s not as forthcoming as she’d like, but is excellent at her job. She is as intrigued by her handyman as he is with her, and together the pair investigate everyone...until she gets a brainstorm and solves it. I’ve always enjoyed Ms. Kelly, but I think this is the best yet. I received an ARC gratis from NetGalley and offer my opinion freely.

This ARC was provided to me via Kindle by St. Martin’s Press and #NetGalley for my honest opinion. A new cozy series that’s bound to.be a hit!

I was given a free e-copy of this novel by NetGalley in exchange for my honest opinion. Diane Kelly begins a new cozy mystery series titled Mountain Lodge Mystery. In the first novel Getaway With Murder, Misty Murphy, alone with cat Yeti, are celebrating her fiftieth birthday with a mutual divorce, as well as purchasing an older mountain lodge on the Blue Ridge Mountains. She might have bitten off more than she can chew, however, when she sees that the old lodge appears to be falling off a bluff. Enter Rocky Crowder, handsome handyman, and his trusty sidekick dog Molasses. With Rocky around for maintenance, Misty can focus on acquiring guests, and she is off to a fantastic start when she becomes fully booked her opening night with a yoga group needing a place for their retreat. Feeling the zen-like atmosphere, Misty and group are caught completely off guard when the yoga instructor is found murdered. Now Misty must scramble to protect not only her guests, but also the reputation of her lodge or else she might lose everything including her life. My first and overall favorite thing about Diane Kelly’s stories is the inclusion of the animals. I have read her Paw Enforcement series (AND LOVE IT), and I genuinely like how she gives the pet a voice. In this case, Misty’s cat Yeti was not as prominent in the story as I would have associated with a Diane Kelly novel. In this case, Yeti seemed almost more of a filler than a necessity. I have two cats of my own and completely agree with the thoughts coming from Yeti, but again couldn’t quite place why they were included in the story. I hope that the second novel in this series has more of the feisty feline’s voice as well as her potential to assist with the mystery. I also can’t wait to see what Yeti’s interaction with Molasses will be like. My next favorite thing is the main character’s involvement with the people around them. Diane Kelly has a way of making the reader be the main character. In this case is Misty, a level-headed, divorcee who makes the idea of starting over seem easy. She is genuinely upset about the murder victim but also for each of the different suspects. She seems to understand who she is as a person, and what she wants from her life. I also enjoyed how open-minded she was, having hired a woman who practices Wicca and doesn’t make assumptions about the guests. She judged everyone based on how they acted or interacted with her and each other. Finally, the mystery was good. The murder doesn’t occur until halfway through the book, but that was fine by me because I feel that the first in a series has to establish the characters and the setting. The victim is also a bit of mystery. As far as the reader knows, the victim is ruse and shallow, but there isn’t any background until very late in the novel. Which makes it a bit difficult for the reader to make a guess to the killer. However, being rude can still get a person murdered so there is no way to strike anyone from the list of suspects. When Misty had to communicate with the police, I was very happy to read that Deputy Yona Highcloud was competent as well as intelligent and respectful. She listened to Misty, and was open about her own thoughts. It was refreshing to read the deputy being thorough instead of accepting one possible solution. Overall I rate this novel 5 out of 5 stars

What a great read! I have recently been reading a lot of cozy mysteries and trying out different authors so Diane Kelly was a new author for me. Definitely will be reading more - actually already purchased a couple! The story kicks off with Misty getting divorced at 50ish and purchasing her dream lodge on Beech Mountain in NW North Carolina. (which happens to be a favorite vacation spot for me lol) Enjoyed the main cast of characters - Misty, Rocky, Brynn & Patty, quick paced light mystery. Looking for more in this series!!

This is the first time I have read this author. I really enjoyed this cozy mystery. The amateur sleuth ,Misty is the owner of the lodge, and she is pretty good along with her helper Rocky. I didn't know who done it until the end. Misty just bought the lodge and tis group was her first booking. If you like cozies this looks like it is going to be a good series. A GOOD READ.

Not sure about the title, but I did enjoy the book. Misty Murphy, fresh from her mutually agreeable divorce from her husband, purchases a vacation lodge in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina. She and her family visited there many times and she is nostalgic for the quiet life. Unfortunately when a yoga retreat group rents the lodge for a week, someone winds up dead and Misty's life is nothing but quiet. along with handsome handyman Rocky Crowder, Misty tries to solve the murder before all her bookings disappear. A good start to a new series.

I loved this book. Diane Kelly has a wry sense of humor that creeps up and surprises me when I least expect it. This is the beginning of a new series that takes place in the Blue Ridge Mountains in North Carolina. Misti, newly divorced, buys a cozy 20 room lodge that has some structural issues due to heavy rains. Enter a hunky handyman who is willing to help fix the problem for way less than a local contractor. There are lots of opportunities for murder and mystery in the coming books. I will be looking for the next 'book. I received an advanced reader's copy from St Martin's Press through NetGalley. The opinions expressed are entirely my own. #GetawayWithMurder #NetGalley

A great start to a new mystery series. Just the right amount of quirky characters, amateur sleuthing, intelligent deduction, friendly police, and red herrings, all with a little slow romance on the side. The murder victim was arrogant and brash, so not too much of a surprise when she was done in. But the rest of the storyline kept us guessing! I'm looking forward to the next book in the series and appreciate the ARC that was provided for this story by NetGalley, Diane Kelly and St. Martin's Press.

I had a great time reading this first in a new series. When Misty trades her husband for a lodge, she's ready to start the next chapter of her life. With her lodge full for a yoga retreat, things are looking up, until an arrogant guest becomes a murder victim. Hopefully Misty will be able to figure things out before it's too late.

I’ve always enjoyed reading Diane Kelly’s books so I couldn’t wait to pick this one up, the first in the Mountain Lodge Mysteries series. Misty Murphy is a recent transplant to the Blue Ridge Mountains after she buys an inn there. One of her first events at the inn is a yoga retreat, but that all goes sideways when the yoga instructor ends up dead, Misty wants to make sure this isn’t the last event she’ll ever have at the inn! This is the first in the series, so along with the mystery, we get introduced to the secondary cast of characters most of whom I liked. We meet Misty’s cat Yeti too, and while the initial concept of chapters from Yeti’s point of view seemed interesting, they didn’t really move the story along. Misty seemed like a relatable character, with real world struggles. I liked that she was working with with police instead of trying to go behind their backs and land in trouble. I’ll definitely be reading the next book in the series!

Delightful cozy that’s all set to be a new series. I loved this book! There are some many potential cliches that get tweaked to be fun. Misty is new divorced (as in the first chapter), but it’s amicable - no cheating, betrayal, etc. There’s a potential love interest, but the relation feels more real life - no love triangle, angst, etc - she wants to take it slow as the ink is still drying on her divorce. A few chapters are told from her cat’s point of view, but rather than being a major part of the plot, it just adds color to the story. The plot is fairly straightforward - Misty uses part of her divorce settlement to purchase a lodge that she has fond childhood memories of, located in the North Carolina mountains. She quickly expands her circle of friends to Patty who runs the diner across the street, Brynn her assistant, and Rocky, a handy man who exchanges his maintenance services for room. Each character adds to the plot. Patty encourages her as a female business owner. Brynn is Wiccan, and Rocky is a single dad who raised three daughters. Misty has her business plan and has decided to focus on groups, and her first booking is for a yoga retreat. The leader of the retreat is more than slightly obnoxious; it’s not too surprising she’s found dead one morning. As I mentioned above, I love the twist on cliches and the fact it’s set in the mountains. I found at a fun book! Highly recommended!

I have been a ready of Diane Kelly since her first series, Death, Taxes and..... came out and this new series, Mountain Lodge Mysteries, is another winner. After a friendly divorce, Misty Murphy invests her settlement in buying the old Ridgeview Inn in the Blue Ridge mountains of North Carolina. Misty's parents had brought her and her siblings there for family vacations during her childhood and later, she and her husband continued the tradition and brought their son's there as well. Her first customer is hosting a yoga retreat which does not turn out to be very tranquil when the owner and instructor is found dead under the deck. This is a good cozy mystery with likeable characters, and a mystery with no shortage of suspects. It moved at a good pace and more importantly, it held my attention to the end. If you are looking for a new series to try, then I recommend this one. Note: I received a copy of this book from the publisher through Netgalley.com. All opinions expressed are my own.

A new cost series with an interesting plot, strong female characters, new romance and of course a good mystery. I throughly enjoyed it.

Misty and her cat Yeti have move to the mountains to run the lodge she has purchased after her divorce. Her first guests, a yoga studio retreat, bring murder. Thankfully, Misty has already assembled a great group of friends to help. A great start to a new series. It's always exciting to add a new author to my list.

Through NetGalley, I received a free copy of GETAWAY WITH MURDER (Book 1 of the Mountain Lodge Mysteries), by Diane Kelly, in exchange for an honest review. Misty Murphy celebrated her fiftieth birthday by signing divorce papers, sending her son off to college, and moving herself and her cat, Yeti, into her new investment. Inspired by fond childhood memories, Misty purchased a crumbling clinging to a bluff in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Misty isn’t there for more than a few minutes when the lobby tries to fall into the ravine below. Luckily, another business owner can recommend a reliable repairman. Misty is overjoyed when she’s able to fill her empty rooms by booking a last-minute yoga retreat. However, the group is less than “zen,” and someone murders the retreat leader and yoga instructor. In order to salvage any future business, Misty needs the murder solved. Since she’s living with all of the suspects, Misty decides she’s in the best position to figure out who, exactly, had means, motive, and opportunity. Can Misty save her business by finding the killer? I liked this book and thought it was a good start to the series. I recommend this book to fans of cozy mysteries featuring murder, inns, small mountain towns, tourists, retreats, yoga drama, and pets.

Getaway With Murder is the first in new series by Diane Kelly and revolves around Misty Murphy and her mountain lodge. Following a divorce from her husband of 20 years, she takes her share of the divorce proceeds and buys a mountain lodge at the top of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Things go downhill immediately with a building emergency and she finds Rocky Crowder, a local handyman. She makes a friend with Patty, who owns the diner across the street (who recommended Rocky). Thanks to Misty's marketing skills and hard work, she fills up the lodge soon after opening with a yoga retreat. Unfortunately, mid-retreat there is a murder of the yoga instructor and there are a few viable suspects in the form of another yoga instructor, the deceased's "friend" Kendall, the young couple who left mysteriously the morning after the murder, a NASCAR driver, as well as her handyman Rocky and her employee Brynn. I had a love/hate relationship with this book. I thought Ms. Kelly did a good job telling the story and the crime didn't happen right away. Misty did a good job trying to solve the crime and I liked her thought process and how she talked things out with Rocky. However, it just wasn't credible with the deputy talking to her about the case so much and taking her into her confidence, especially with her being new in town. It just goes against every cozy mystery ever with the standard "keep out of police business." I felt that there was an obvious clue to the killer, but maybe that's just me. I didn't warm up to Rocky at first because to me he sounded like a stereotype of someone raised in the mountains and I didn't like him quoting all the time. I did like Brynn with her new age beliefs and Patty's friendly and helpful nature. While I love Ms. Kelly's writing, I didn't really warm up to this series too much, but want to give this series another chance with the next book. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for this book while reading it. I liked the fact that Misty was a middle-aged woman coming out of a divorce that was amicable and friendly and had a potential romantic interest at her age. Thank you NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I love this new series- I can perfectly picture the lovely North Carolina mountains, smell the sweet grass and feel the crispness in the air- could be I'm just craving FALL...LOL. But it's lovely to see an older character, who while she looks like she has it all together, is experiencing a waterfall of problems, just not loosing her brain over them, but finding ways to solve them. Some pics with the local law enforcement seemingly letting Misty run her own investigation for them, but it is a cozy mystery, and belief has to be suspended sometime....It's a good little mystery, with a few twists to keep you reading, but not hard to figure out. The characters make it fun and keep you reading! Be sure to check out this series if you cant get to the mountains this Fall!

Diane Kelly sets her new Mountain Lodge Mystery series in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina with an appealing collection of characters, including Yeti, a snow-white cat. Recently divorced Misty Murphy purchases a 20 room lodge on Beech Mountain, where she plans to market her facility to groups and conferences. Misty’s first booking is a Yoga Retreat, and one of the participants finds the yoga studio owner’s body under the lodge’s deck. Police determine the crime is murder, and Misty, along with her two employees, decide to do a little snooping. Brynn O’Reilly fills two roles, helping with housekeeping and administration duties, while Rocky Crowder, a local handyman /contractor, helps provide property maintenance. Suspects include the retreat attendees, including Sasha’s assistant Glenn, and a young couple hiking the Appalachian Trail and staying at the lodge for a few nights. Ms. Kelly conceives an intriguing mystery and creates realistic characters. The story unfolds at a steady pace with appropriate distractions and twists. The most engaging personality turns out to be Yeti, who shares her perspective about events in personally labeled chapters throughout the book. Getaway with Murder is a captivating start in this new cozy series.

I enjoyed reading Getaway With Murder. This was a fast read for me and had enough twists and turns to keep me interested in the story.

Getaway With Murder is another pleasant read from Diane Kelly. It is a soft take on a murder mystery. I like here straight forward writing style. It leads to an easy and pleasant read. The worst of murder details are left to the reader's imagination. Ms. Kelly knows how to write a narrative that is engaging and makes you want to keep reading. I found myself reading "just one more chapter" even when I had planned to stop. The plot and characters are simple with enough details to keep the reader connected to the story. I appreciated that she limited the chapters from the cat's perspective. Unlike the Paw Patrol series, they did not do much to move the story forward, but added some color and spice to the story. A good Summer read or now that we are coming into Fall, a good read for a cool evening under a warm comforter.

Getaway With Murder by Diane Kelly is the first book in the new cozy Mountain Lodge Mystery series. Each book of this series will contain it’s own fully solved mystery so they can be enjoyed as a standalone novel if choosing to do so but of course the character development will carry over for those who choose to continue the series. Just as Misty Murphy is turning fifty she finds herself completely changing her life. Now that Misty’s children have left home she and her husband have decided to end their marriage finding themselves to be complete opposites. One thing that always made Misty the happiest was traveling to the Blue Ridge Mountains so she decided to move there permanently and bought an old inn she was familiar with from her visits. As Misty arrives at her new lodge she finds it a bit more run down than she remembered and knows her first task will be hiring someone for repairs. In the middle of estimates that don’t suite her requests Misty meets handyman Rocky Crowder and hires him to help. As the lodge opens Misty and Rocky find themselves catering to their new guests but when one guest is found dead under the new deck they then turn to discovering who among them could be a murderer. I actually really enjoyed this opener to the Mountain Lodge Mystery series and getting to know this set of new characters. The Mountain Lodge made a wonderful remote setting that had all the small town charm I love in cozy mysteries. This opener had a great locked door mystery that had me on my toes wanting to solve it right along with Misty and her staff. After this first book I will definitely be excited to return to the series in the future and will keep an eye out for book two. I received an advance copy from the publisher via NetGalley.

This is the first in a new series by Diane Kelly and it was a treat!! It is also the first Diane Kelly book I have read and I look forward to reading her others! Misty Murphy, a recently divorced woman buys a lodge in the Blue Ridge Mountains and renovates it before welcoming her first guests. The first half of the book sets up the series and introduces the handyman, Rocky who also lives at the lodge and the housekeeper as well as the owner of a restaurant across the street. I really enjoyed the plot of the book and the very engaging Misty. The murder of the yoga instructor took up the second half, a definite puzzle and locked room mystery. Ms. Kelly weaves a great mystery and I highly recommend this entry to cozy mystery lovers!

This is the first book I’ve read by this author and it was great. I loved the characters and the development of the story.

Getaway with Murder by Diane Kelly was an escape to the mountains! I loved this first in a new series cozy mystery. Misty Murphy is newly divorced and has just purchased an inn in the mountains of North Carolina. Some unexpected work arises so she finds a hunky handyman to help her get in ship shape before her first guests arrive. She's booked out the whole lodge for a yoga retreat. Unfortunately one of the yogis rubbed someone the wrong way and doesn't wake up from corpse pose. Misty has to solve the case or risk loosing her business before it really begins. This book was fun! It combined a fresh start with renovations and sweet small town inn life. I'm excited to see where the series goes and would recommend to fans of Dianne Mott Davidson and Joanne Fluke!

Misty is recently divorced and has bought a lodge in the mountains of North Carolina. Misty is so excited to update the lodge and make it her own. She has been coming to this place ever since she was a child and loves everything about it. There are some issues that Misty needs a handy man for and finds Rocky. Rocky is Mr. fixit for the area. He ends up fixing all she needs done and then helping her get other things about the lodge up to her standards.' Misty and Rocky are excited for the first guests to come. A Yoga Studio has got the lodge for a week. A few days into the retreat and the owner/instructor Sasha is found dead. Sasha was not a nice person and the suspects are many. Misty works hard to try to find out what has happened to Sasha so she can clear her lodge and keep from being ruined. A very enjoyable book about friendships, new starts and dreams come trur.

After being, very amicably, divorced Misty and her cat, Yeti (Baroness Blizzard is her proper name), head to their new home and business venture a lodge in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Misty is thrilled to have her lodge fully booked with a yoga retreat and Appalachian Trail hikers but when a guest is murdered and the hikers vanish Misty wants to get the killer out of her lodge....if she can figure out who the killer is. I love that Misty is an older, independent woman and the occasional chapters from Yeti's point of view are excellent. Diane Kelly has created a great cast of characters in a wonderful setting. I'm looking forward to the next book.

I love reading cozies set in western NC because I live here! So glad I read this one -- loved it! Great start to a new series. I'm definitely going to be reading this series! The Basics: Misty Murphy turns 50...gets divorced....and buys an old inn sitting atop a mountain in Northwest NC. The inn needs a lot of work, but she finds a handyman in her price range to things up. Opening weekend the inn is full and everything looks great. Until..... There is always an until.... Yep -- a murder. One dead yoga instructor and Misty's new business venture might just crumble around her ears. So she starts doing some sleuthing to find the killer. Can she discover who offed the yoga instructor before someone else is killed? Such a fun story! I love the characters and the setting (of course). The chapters even have some thoughts from Misty's cat - Yeti is awesome! :) Glad I read this cozy. It made me smile the entire time. Nicely paced. Plenty of humor. Fun setting/premise. Great cover art. I will definitely stick with this series! **I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from St Martins Press. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

Getaway With Murder is the new Mountain Lodge Mystery series by Diane Kelly. It is an enjoyable cozy mystery with likable characters, potential romance, friendship and an interesting mystery. Misty turns 50, gets an amicable divorce, her sons are in college so she buys a lodge in the mountains of North Carolina. She needs a handyman to help with repairs and maintenance to. get the Mountaintop Lodge ready to open. Through her new friend Patty, she meets and hires Rocky.. Misty's first guests are a yoga group and a young married couple. One of the yoga instructors is found dead and Misty and Rocky need to figure out if a guest or an intruder was the murderer. Misty, Rocky, Patty, and Brynn are all wonderful characters and their friendship adds to the story. There are a few short chapters periodically from Misty's cat, Yeti's point of view which aren't necessary but aren't too distracting. Overall it is a good debut. #NetGalley #GetawayWithMurder #StMartinsPress

Getaway with Murder by Diane Kelly is a fun start to a new cozy mystery series! Newly divorced Misty Murphy, is the new owner of the Mountaintop Lodge in North Carolina. Her first guests at the lodge are a mixed group of new age and yoga enthusiasts. Everything seems to be going smoothly till one of the yoga instructors is found dead. Misty doesn't want bad press for her new business and decides she will try to figure out who the killer is. The Mountaintop Lodge sounds like a place that I would want to visit, the author does a great job at vividly describing the mountainous area. I appreciated how real the characters were portrayed. Misty is so down to earth and so relatable. Even Yeti, Misty's cat had a few chapters! The mystery had me interested and wanting to see how it would all play out. This is the first book I have read by the author and she is hilarious! The humor in the story was smart and genuinely funny. I look forward to reading more books in the series. Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for the digital review copy.

Getaway With Murder is the first book in Diane Kelly’s newest Mountain Lodge Mystery series. The heroine of the story, Misty Murphy, is 50-years-old and newly divorced. With her two sons in college, she takes a giant leap of faith and buys an old 20-room lodge in Beech, Mountain, North Carolina. She and her cat, Yeti, move into room #1. Her goal is to rent the other rooms in the lodge to large groups for retreats, family reunions, ski groups, etc. Things get off to a rocky start on the first night when part of the cliff-side lodge collapses due to excessive rainwater run-off. At the recommendation of Patty, the owner of the Greasy Griddle diner across the street, Misty hires the handsome Rocky Crowder to fix the problems. Before long, Rocky moves into a room at the other end of the lodge in exchange for being the on-site maintenance man. She also hires Brynn, who is Wiccan, as her assistant. Patty agrees to bring breakfast over each morning for the lodge guests, so Misty gives her a key as well. The first group of renters is on a yoga retreat. The studio’s owner is an arrogant piece of work, who ends up dead and under the deck after a few days. Now everyone is a suspect, including all of the guests, the Greasy Griddle employees, and even Rocky and Brynn. There are red herrings all over the lodge. Misty knows if the culprit is not identified, it could do irreparable harm to her new business. It’s refreshing to have a mature woman as the main character. Her life experience and her desire to start anew make her relatable and interesting. While she is attracted to Rocky, she knows she needs to take things slow since the ink on her divorce papers is barely dry. I am looking forward to reading more in this series. 5-Stars! Thank you to Sara Beth H @ St. Martin’s for my advanced reader copy. The novel is 304 pages and the expected publication date is October 26, 2021.

Getaway with Murder by Diane Kelly introduces us to Mistry Murphy recently divorced from Jack, who moves to the Blue Ridge Mountains where she bought a Mountain Lodge. Misty has cat Yeti who has a typical cat attitude! After Misty and Yeti get settle into her new home, she ventures to the Greasy Griddle Diner for the all-you-can-eat pancakes. Patty the owner remembers Misty and very happy to find out she bought the Lodge. They work out a deal that Patty delivers breakfast each morning to the Lodge and then her restaurant won't have to make people wait for places to sit, a win-win! Misty hires Rocky Crowder to fix the drainage problem and the damage it caused to the lodge and then hires him as her maintenance man for the lodge. Misty then hires Brynn O'Reilly as her Admin and house cleaner. Everything was going great with their first guests from the Third Eye Studio and Spa until the owner Sasha ends up dead. It's up to Misty and Deputy Sheriff Highcloud to figure out who the murder is with the help of Rocky and Brynn. Who killed Sasha? Why? How did some get into her room with being seen? I love Diana Kelly and this book was a great read! The book was easy to keep up with characters, the plot and the surprising ending! I high recommend for you to read this book. Thanks to NetGalley for the Advance Copy!

Getaway with Murder – Diane Kelly 5/5 stars: I really got a kick out of this opener to the Mountain Lodge Mystery series. It was fun getting to know Misty, Rocky, his dog Molasses and the new cast of characters, I especially loved reading the chapters from Yeti's (Misty's cat) pov. Also the Mountaintop Lodge made a unique setting in a cozy mystery landscape inhabited with the more traditionally set Victorian-style B&B stories. The mystery was well paced with great clues, plenty of false leads and an awesome reveal. Overall, I really enjoyed Diane Kelly’s writing style and sense of humor and can’t wait for book two. I received a copy of this book via Netgalley.com in exchange for an honest review. @netgalley

Getaway with Murder by Diane Kelly is the first book in the brand new Mountain Lodge Mystery series. If you love cozy mysteries, this is definitely a book worthy of your time!!! I love when an author does such a great job of characterization that even the way the characters talk to others as well as body movements show what they are thinking. Diane Kelly definitely does an excellent job with this. She also throws in some characters that are likeable and some not so much. If that wasn't enough, she starts each chapter with a quote that goes along with the book. I highly recommend this one, and I can't wait to see what she does in the next book in the series.

4.5 is a more accturate number, but I will round up. I loved the setting. I have visited some of the locations mentioned, so I could really picture the area. Mountain lodges are a favorite setting of mine. And the author did a great job showing us the limitations and joys of living in an older hotel, like not having a kitchen on the premisis and having a deck with great views. I definitely want to visit the Mountiantop Inn again. Misty is our main character and slueth. She is surrounded by a few friends, Brynn, housekeeper, Patty, restaurant owner across the street, and Rocky, handyman and love interest. I like that she is starting over after an amicable divorce becasue that goes against the trope. However, the break with her husband and kids seemed too clean. She is shown texting them once, but mentions other texts. So I assume she is communicating more than we are shown just like she is eating and sleeping more than is shown. So I talked myself out of having a big issue with that. I like that we see her meeting new types of people and adjusting her views, like with Brynn being Wiccan. Her flirtations with Rocky are a nice slow start to a romance. They seem apporpriate for a woman who is coming out of a polite, but passionless marriage. The set up to get him staying at the lodge was a little weird, but not completely unheard of. So I am skeptically optomistic about where this is going. Her cat does narrate a few chapters. It was interesting to get a view of the place that was not Misty's view. The cat was humorous, but wasn't vital to solving the mystery. It did add some fun and levity to the story. The victim was obvious from when she showed up. I liked the way that some of the red herrings were presented. We had good reasons to suspect them and then we found good reasons to clear them. They made for memorable characters that were dealing badly with the death. The 'giveaway' clue was well hidden, so I completely missed it. But when Misty figures it out, it made sense. The sherrif's deputy was a great police officer. She did not jump to conclusions. She valued Misty's input without depending on it. The solution was satisfying. Overall, there were a couple details that sat funny with me, but they didn't detract from the overall story, setting, or characters. I got an ARC of the book. This is my review.

Don't you love a new cozy series? I do. Misty's marriage broke up even as the kids moved out, and now she's bought the Riverview Lodge high in the Blue Ridge Mountains. She's made friends with Rocky, the handyman, Brynn a Wiccan who works with her, and Patty who owns the diner. Her first big event is a yoga weekend and it's looking good until...the instructor is murdered! Misty might be new to the area but she's determined to find answers. It's classic. Know that there are some chapters where her cat, Yeti, offers up thoughts (I didn't need these but ..). Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC. I'm looking forward to more !

With the weather cooling down and fall upon us, I needed a new cozy mystery to get me into the change of the season. This book was perfect! Getaway with Murder is the first in a new mystery series by Diane Kelly. After a divorce, Misty purchases her dream mountain lodge with the settlement. She is ready to settle in and enjoy the quiet life but unfortunately, a murder happens during her first hosted event. Diane’s characters are relatable and the location really drew me in. She gave us plenty of suspects to choose from and a mystery that was engaging. There were a couple of red herrings, which heightened the suspense and certainly mislead me. I enjoyed the ending and I am looking forward to the next installment in the series. I want to thank NetGalley, Diane Kelly and St. Martin's Press, St. Martin's Paperbacks for the e-ARC of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are honest, my own and left voluntarily.

Lovely start to a new cozy mystery – Misty Murphy turns 50, time for a new chapter in her life. Children have grown up, and after living complete opposites for many years, Misty and her husband, Jack, divorce. Misty sets out to Blue Ridge Mountains, her happy place, to buy the hotel that has many happy memories. Can she make a go of it? And opening with a murder is probably not the best way to attract customers. Looking forward to reading many more adventures of Misty, her handyman Rocky, Brynn her assistant, and Patty her now found friend. Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for an Advanced Copy in exchange of my honest opinion.

Starting a brand-new life isn't easy for 50-year-old Misty, even though her recent divorce was so amicable that her to-be ex brings a chai latte for her to sip while they sign the papers. But nobody expects to arrive at one's new home only to have the ground fall out from under your feet. Seriously, that's a bit much! Misty Murphy has just bought an old lodge in the Blue Ridge Mountains. As the Ridgemont Inn, it had been a happy place during her childhood and honeymoon. Misty and her extremely observant and opinionated cat, Yeti, have just arrived to begin renovating. Her business plan is clever: knowing that people these days book B & Bs for individual vacations, she decides that her lodge can be the place to go for weddings, receptions, hiking clubs, reunions, and other occasions, where people can relax and enjoy a few days in the country. The elements have not been kind to the old place, as Misty learns when a section of the floor and foundation literally crack off under her feet, victims of poor drainage and neglect. Fortunately, her new friend at the nearby diner not only agrees to cater the daily breakfast for Misty's guests, but also introduces her to Rocky, a hunky handyman who can bring the old building up to snuff while quoting Epictetus ("the greater the difficulty, the more glory in surmounting it"). Soon, the newly-christened Mountaintop Lodge has its first guests - a group from an ashram in Asheville whose building was turned to ash in an incense malfunction. The owner, snooty and demanding Sasha, begins a yoga and meditation retreat in the newly-smudged building. The guests, including a celebrity NASCAR driver, a sturdy masseuse, and a peaceful/blissful/unflappable meditation instructor, gather for their yoga session on the deck, signalled by the tone of a Tibetan singing bowl, and then retire for the night. Yes, a murder ensues. Yes, everyone except Yeti seems to have enough animus and motive to kill the victim. Yes, visiting hikers are found to have been investigating native poisons. References are made to types of karma, including the one that is accumulated for past bad actions - which proves to be heavy indeed for the victim and killer. Yeti, whose witty thoughts occupy their own chapters, does not actually speak, but she does add zingers as she observes and judges humans. (Salmon again? And how un-cat-like humans are, getting together to mimic each others movements. ) Best of all, the scenery surrounding the lodge is described so beautifully that the reader wants to be there. NOW! - or, at least, once the murder is solved. This is the first in a new series. I'm looking forward to more! 5 stars, and thanks to NetGalley for the ARC to review.

Thank you NetGalley, Diane Kelly and St Martins’s press for the copy of Getaway with murder. This is my personal review. This is the first book in a new series- The Mountain Lodge Mysteries. I enjoy reading the first book in a new series to get to know the charters what are in the series. Misty is newly divorced and decides to buy an inn in the mountains of North Carolina. The inn is just the thing she needs in her new life and working on the inn to fix it up is the way to do it for her. She has a lodge full for a yoga retreat. Every thing seems to be going fine until yoga instructor is found dead! Misty along with a great cast of friends are determined to solve this murder to get life back to normal.

This is a fun mystery that will keep you turning the pages to see what happens next. It has just enough twists and turns to make it a very enjoyable read. It will keep you guessing until the end. I received a complimentary copy from St. Martin's Press via NetGalley and was not required to write a review. All opinions expressed are my own.

I always enjoy reading this author's work and this new debut series is a charming cozy mystery . Thank you to the publisher and to Net Galley for the opportunity. This was a perfect cozy mystery debut for a wonderful new series. Getaway With Murder is the first book in Diane Kelly's Mountain Lodge Mystery series. I thought this was a delightful read . I like the protagnist Misty. Misty is starting over after a divorce by purchasing an old mountain lodge at the top of the Blue Ridge Mountains. She ended her marriage on good terms with her ex. The setting is described beautifully by the author. Misty's first guests are a yoga retreat. When the yoga instructor is found dead, suspects are many and Misty must solve the mystery of the murder to save her business and her reputation. A fun read with great supporting charcters, nice relationships and a beautiful setting. Very well done and I look forward to the next in series.

Enjoyable first book of a new series. Misty Murphy has just divorced her husband and bought a mountain lodge in the Blue Ridge Mountains. She hires a hunky maintenance man and a quirky housekeeper. All goes smoothly until one of her first guest ends up dead.

I have voluntarily read and reviewed a copy of this title given to me via NetGalley. This book was just amazing. I just lost myself in this story and didn’t want it to end. It was really well written and just drew in you into these characters lives. I look forward to seeing what’s next from this author.

I would have enjoyed this book more if the murder had not happened so late. The pacing was off and I did not feel I had enough information as to why the victim was murdered.

Thank you NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for providing me with an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. Getaway with Murder is the first book in a new series, Mountain Lodge Mysteries, by Diane Kelly. It was a real pleasure to read this book. The main character is a no-nonsense woman, Misty, who decides to give a new direction to her life after her divorce by becoming the owner of a lodge. The story kicks off pretty quickly with the repairs, immediately followed by a group of people who have booked the place for a yoga retreat. With a nice variety of guests, some pleasant, some despicable, it helps propel the story forward, without forgetting Rocky, the handyman. The victim is a real pain, and many people had potentially good reasons to get rid of her. The ending was a nice surprise. I also liked the qhotes at the beginning of each chapter, some of them were quite beautiful. With such a strong beginning for this new series, I definitely do not want to miss the next book. Highly recommended!

I liked the book about a new owner of a lodge in the mountains and her guests. One is murdered and it takes a while to find the murderer.

Misty is fifty and is starting a new life. She and her husband have amicably split after many years and her sons are off to college. She buys a mountain lodge which she'd visited many times and has fond memories of. It needs some repairs and luckily Rocky, a local handyman, will do them cheaply and stay on to do maintenance in return for a room. Misty hires Brynn as her assistant and the restaurant across the street will be providing a buffet breakfast in the mornings so she's good to go. She even has a group booked for a week for a yoga retreat. Things become not so zen when the leader of the yoga retreat is found murdered. Misty is concerned because there may be a killer staying at her lodge, which is not a good way to start a business. I've read many books (and series) by this author and I liked this one ... it's the first in the Mountain Lodge Mystery series. I liked the writing style. It is written in first person perspective from Misty's point of view and third person perspective from Yeti, Misty's cat's point of view (the author has done this in other series ... had dogs and cats share their point of view, which as an animal lover I find cute). It was a quick light read and is a "cozy mystery" so there is no swearing, violence or adult activity. I liked the characters and look forward to reading others in this series. And I liked that Misty is a more mature age (so closer to mine) than a younger woman.