Just River

Pub Date 24 Nov 2021 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #JustRiver #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Sara B. Fraser paints for readers how life in a nothing upstate New York town in the ’90s might look: bleak and gritty. Wattsville was a booming manufacturing town on the Otis River. But now, the mills are closed. The windows boarded up. The same people frequent the same bars every day without fail. What once was a prosperous place is now somewhere riddled with substance abuse, poverty, violence, and hush-hush secrets. But only the river bears witness to all these secrets — and only the river can divulge the truth.

At the heart of these secrets is one family. When Carol’s daughter, Garnet, is caught in the crosshairs of justice and her former boyfriend’s deceit, Carol and her best friend Sam plot to prove Garnet's innocence. Told with beauty and tenderness against the landscape of forgotten everyday America, Fraser’s JUST RIVER connects the complexity and danger we all contain.

Send To Kindle (PDF)

Just River by Sara Fraser is a well-written general fiction novel tinged with mystery, drugs, LGBTQ themes, domestic violence and prison life. The novel starts off at the end and goes from there. The story centers around an imprisoned woman, her mom and the neighbor two floors away. With well-developed characters, Ms. Fraser takes us through the life of a gay man who enjoys walking the line between male and female. We also meet the mother of woman imprisoned for fighting back against her boyfriend. Unflinching looks at the loneliness of prison, the devastation incarceration brings on a family and what survival can look like for some women are all covered within. With a smooth flow and insightful writing, this second novel should not be the author's last.

A good read. I would recommend this book. I enjoyed this story. I received this from Netgalley as an ARC for an honest review.

Just River by Sara B. Fraser is a novel about hopeless people in Wattsville, a small upstate New York town. Once a place with a booming factory, it’s now slower and sadder. It’s the kind of town people leave as soon as they can. And yet, Carol raised her daughter Garnet here. And her best friend Sam finds a kind of grudging acceptance from people around him. Still, their lives are rough and Fraser reminds us that life is unpleasant. The time is the 1990s, before the promise of a new century. Carol works in a community college cafeteria, ringing up purchases. Her constant worry is Garnet, who’s doing time nearby for accidentally (or not) injuring her wealthy boyfriend. The two depend on each other, but Carol also particularly depends on Sam for support. At the time, we would’ve described Sam as a gay man into cross-dressing. Fraser uses he/him pronouns for him but gives him strong feminine sensibilities. As the book starts, he finds a decent job at the local paper with an understanding boss. Then he meets Ronaldo and the two circle around a possible connection. But what Sam really loves is singing karaoke, dressed to the nines in high heels and sparkly dresses. Both Sam and Carol would do anything for Garnet, since they believe she’s wrong incarcerated. She’s in a world of hurt living in prison. But then she asks them to do something risky. Their plan to fulfill the request goes off the rails more than once. My conclusions Just River hovers on the edge of depressing, with moments of groaning laughter at the follies perpetrated by its main characters. It’s a tough balance, but Fraser manages to keep propelling the story forward amidst the difficulties. Carol is every schlumpy middle-aged woman. Sam’s teetering gender queerness is a bit of a trope. And Garnet is a selfish twenty-something who expects life to go her way, despite all indications. I didn’t find any of these main characters especially likable, but I empathize with them. Their lives are a constant struggle to keep from drowning in a strong downstream river current. This is Fraser’s second book, and I hope she keeps writing. Her work will likely continue to gain polish and subtlety. Right now, though, she delivers many heavy-handed descriptions and a somewhat rushed ending. Still, I recommend Just River if you appreciate character studies, books set in the 1990s, and a Keystone Kops style “can they pull this plan off?” storyline. Acknowledgments Many thanks to NetGalley, Black Rose Writing, Mind Buck Media, and the author for a digital advanced reader’s copy in exchange for this honest review.

The first book I'd read from this author. It is an emotional read with well developed characters and a storyline that touches on many topics. Thanks to NetGalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.