Wetiko

Healing the Mind-Virus That Plagues Our World

Pub Date 19 Jan 2022 | Archive Date 23 Nov 2021

Talking about this book? Use #Wetiko #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

How to break free from the collective mind parasite of wetiko

• Explores how wetiko covertly operates both out in the world and within our minds and how it underlies every form of self-destruction, both individual and collective

• Reveals how wetiko’s power lies in our blindness to it and examines how people across the ages have symbolized wetiko to help see it and heal it

• Examines the concept of wetiko as it appears in the teachings of the Kabbalah, Hawaiian Kahuna shamanism, mystical Christianity, and the work of C. G. Jung

In its Native American meaning, wetiko is an evil cannibalistic spirit that can take over people’s minds, leading to selfishness, insatiable greed, and consumption as an end in itself, destructively turning our intrinsic creative genius against our own humanity. Revealing the presence of wetiko in our modern world behind every form of destruction our species is carrying out, both individual and collective, Paul Levy shows how this mind-virus is so embedded in our psyches that it is almost undetectable--and it is our blindness to it that gives wetiko its power. Yet, as Levy reveals in striking detail, by recognizing this highly contagious mind parasite, by seeing wetiko, we can break free from its hold and realize the vast creative powers of the human mind.

Levy explores how artists, philosophers, and spiritual traditions across the ages have been creatively symbolizing this deadly pathogen of the psyche so as to help us see it and heal it. He examines the concept of wetiko as it appears in the teachings of the Kabbalah, Hawaiian Kahuna shamanism, Buddhism, and mystical Christianity and through esoteric concepts like egregores, demons, counterfeiting spirits, and psychic vampires. He reveals how visionary thinkers such as C. G. Jung, Sri Aurobindo, Philip K. Dick, Colin Wilson, Nicolas Berdyaev, and Rene Girard each point to wetiko in their own unique and creative way. He explores how the projection of the shadow self--scapegoating--is the underlying psychological mechanism fueling wetiko and examines wetiko in the context of the Covid-19 pandemic, showing that we can reframe the pandemic so as to receive the lessons and opportunities embedded in it.

Revealing how the power of imagination can cure the wetiko mind-virus, Levy underscores how important it is for each of us to bring forth the creative spirit within us, which helps shed the light of consciousness on wetiko, taking away its power over us while simultaneously empowering ourselves.
How to break free from the collective mind parasite of wetiko

Send To Kindle (PDF)

Average rating from 1 member

Wetiko is a sickness of the spirit if I understood correctly. I cannot explain the importance of this book and its concepts. It is literally like a curtain was being drawn from the man at the controls the more I read Mr Levys story of Wetiko. There is something wrong with the way we live today but it is hard to define IMO. Wetiko describes what may be at the center of our mind virus and gives many examples of its occurrences. The book is not at all depressing as there are alternatives to Wetiko and it is up to us to change our thoughts and therefore change our lives and the future of this planet. I love this book and could not put it down. Excellent.