Choices

Pub Date 01 Aug 2021 | Archive Date Not set
Publisher Spotlight, Child's Play International

Talking about this book? Use #Choices #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

A girl considers her future while she people-watches at her local outdoor pool. Choices, both insignificant and life-changing, are all around us. Whether we want to make a splash or just dip our toes into new experiences, there's always a decision involved. Profound and humorous, CHOICES encourages readers to value the power behind their thoughts and actions!

Send To Kindle (PDF)

Absolutely gorgeous illustrations! They're so bright, engaging, and detailed that, though the text is simple and straightforward, there are endless possibilities for further discussion in the pictures. This would work equally well in large group, small group, and one-on-one reading situations and would be appealing to a large range of ages, from the earliest readers to early elementary. The message of the book is subtle and non-judgmental in helping kids recognize that they make choices all the time and they all have consequences, good or bad, significant or minor. It's a nice start to a conversation about personal agency and the power we all have to make positive contributions. There is also wonderful representation of many ages, races, body types, and abilities (presented incidentally, without comment). This would be a great addition to classroom, school, and personal libraries and I'm looking forward to getting my own copy! Many thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review!

This simple but thought-provoking book for young readers will be a great addition to my classroom library. It explores the difference between easy, everyday choices and life-changing decisions. Do you want to blend in or do you want to stand out? This will be an excellent conversation starter for my first graders and I know that they will love the illustrations as much as I do!