Every Word Unsaid

Pub Date 02 Nov 2021 | Archive Date 02 Dec 2021
Bethany House, Bethany House Publishers

Talking about this book? Use #EveryWordUnsaid #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Augusta Travers has spent the last three years avoiding the stifling expectations of New York society and her family's constant disappointment. As the nation's most fearless--and reviled--columnist, Gussie travels the country with her Kodak camera and spins stories for women unable to leave hearth and home. But when her adventurous nature lands her in the middle of a scandal, an opportunity to leave America offers the perfect escape.

Arriving in India, she expects only a nice visit with childhood friends, siblings Catherine and Gabriel, and escapades that will further her career. Instead, she finds herself facing a plague epidemic, confusion over Gabriel's sudden appeal, and the realization that what she wants from life is changing. But slowing down means facing all the hurts of her past that she's long been trying to outrun. And that may be an undertaking too great even for her.

Praise for Kimberly Duffy:

"Duffy shines in elegant, flowing prose and delicate precision that underscores the nineteenth-century setting."--BOOKLIST starred review

"An author to watch."--LIBRARY JOURNAL

"Duffy's writing is beautiful, deep, and contemplative."
--JOCELYN GREEN, Christy Award-winning author of Shadows of the White City

"Duffy [has a] capable pen and inimitable passion for portraying India."--RACHEL MCMILLAN, author of The London Restoration and The Mozart Code

In EVERY WORD UNSAID, KIMBERLY DUFFY uses her incredible command of the English language to not only describe the surroundings, but also the emotions and complexities of human nature. It is a beautiful book with an amazing story and unforgettable characters. There is also a strong Christian message woven into it, especially that of overcoming fear and rejection. It is a book that really needs to be savoured to get the most enjoyment out of it. Augusta (Gussie) Travers’ enthusiasm for life, and wanting to live it to the full, her daring travels in order to get stories and photographs for her column in the Ladies’ Weekly as the Adventuress, cause her family, who have never taken the time to understand her, to reject her. In fact the only people who really love her for herself are her Uncle James, a former Pinkerton agent, and her childhood friends, Catherine and Gabriel (Specs). When the identity of the Adventuress is discovered, the scandal is too much for her family and they send her to stay with her aunt in Chicago until she falls into line with their expectations. She chooses rather to take up her editor’s offer to go to India for six months and write about her travels there, managing to escape her indomitable Uncle James, who follows her there. I really like the way that Bimla, who also suffers from rejection by her family, relates to Gussie, and they form a strong bond. I like to see their refusal to be defined by what others say about them. One of my favourite quotations from the book, and there are many, is, “ We aren’t responsible for where we have come from.Only where we go. ” As we follow Gussie’s journey we see how the people she meets, the change in her relationship with Specs, Catherine and Uncle James, the horrors of the bubonic plague, the abject poverty, together with the beauty that shines through in spite of everything, lead to her wanting to do something worthwhile with her story writing and photographic gifts. I will leave the story here, as I do not want to spoil the read for you. This is a novel that I will definitely read again. I cannot recommend Every Word Unsaid highly enough. I was given a free copy of the book by NetGalley from Bethany House Publishers. The opinions in this review are completely my own.

Much to the chagrin of Gussie's parents, she is traveling all over the country writing under a nom de plume for a women's magazine. Her parents and all other NY society elite are scandalized by this when her identity comes out. Instead of going into seclusion at her Aunt's in Chicago at the behest of her parents, she takes off on a new adventure -- to India. India is where Gussie's childhood friends, Specs and Catherine live. Specs was her childhood sweetheart. He now goes by his given name of Gabriel instead of the fond nickname Gussie gave him and he is a doctor doing missionary work. This is a sweet tale of women's rights and women's hearts and minds. So much love and so much forgiveness! And a few hardheads. I have voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book that I received from NetGalley. All views expressed are only my honest opinion.

This is a new author for me, but I will definitely read anything else she writes. Her writing is phenomenal and evokes India (from a colonist's point of view, yes) with exquisite precision. Gussie is a woman ahead of her time, determined to be independent and self-sufficient. She writes for a woman's magazine (anonymously) and when her identity is revealed, she decides to travel to India instead of going into seclusion. Her two childhood friends work as missionaries and when she sees her childhood sweetheart again - sparks fly, opinions and beliefs are challenged, and lives are irrevocably changed. I really enjoyed this book and am grateful to Netgalley and the publisher for letting me read it! I will read it again and again!

There is something familiar in Kimberly Duffy's writings that take the readers to exotic places without ever leaving their homes. With the protagonist's travels, Kimberly once again takes her readers to India in the late 1800s to a time under British rule, unspeakable poverty, desperate conditions, and astounding beauty. Augusta "Gussie" Travers escapes her family's climb into social status by writing for Ladies Weekly magazine as "Miss Adventuress." She travels throughout the United States, taking photographs and writing articles that allow her readers to escape the drudgery of daily life. Her writing is light-hearted and witty, and her photographs are breath-taking illustrations of her travels. When her identity is leaked on the morning of her sister's wedding, she is denigrated and renounced by her family. Her parents decide to exile her to her aunt's in Chicago, where she might learn some of the finer societal manners, and where she won't be able to harm their social status by her outrageous behavior. Her boss at Ladies Weekly offers to send her to India for a more exotic trip than she's been on before. As Gussie is leaving for Chicago in the company of her uncle--once a Pinkerton agent--she ditches the train she's on and heads to Boston to catch a ship to England and then India. While in India she meets up with her childhood friends Specs and Catherine. And while in India, she finds that she has come home. She has found the place where she is accepted for who she is, where she is valued for her thoughts and ideas, where she is treated with respect and honor--all things that have been missing from her family's treatment and opinions of her. She also finds love. It's a topsy-turvy road to romance for Gussie (and dare I say it, a rather formulaic road to romance). I am not sure where Kimberly came up with the title for Every Word Unsaid, because there were not many words left unsaid by the time the book is finished. Gussie and Specs hashed, rehashed, and sometimes over-hashed their words with each other. But this book is one that was surprisingly compelling. There are events that bring out anger, compassion, excitement, betrayal, understanding, and several other emotions. It will cause readers like me to lose sleep because they just can't put it down, but it's worth every minute. I looked back to see that I have read all of Kimberly's books and they are all just as enjoyable as this one. Five Stars, Two Thumbs Up, and a ride on an elephant to fulfill a bucket list item. Bethany House and NetGalley.com provided the copy I read for this review. All opinions expressed are solely my own.

Really loved this book! Gussie was such an interesting character. Way before her time in wanting to be a journalist and working towards women's rights. I loved the way she followed her own path, not what others expected of her. Though sometimes hard to allow yourself to be open to different dreams, as we grow emotionally, she was ready to explore her options. Thanks Netgalley for the opportunity to read the ARC. I will be recommending this story to others.