The Crochet Crowd

Inspire, Create & Celebrate

Pub Date 26 Jul 2021 | Archive Date 20 Sep 2021
Nimbus Publishing, MacIntyre Purcell Publishing Inc.

Talking about this book? Use #TheCrochetCrowd #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

As a solitary young boy, Michael Sellick took refuge in the art of crocheting. As an adult, that refuge would grow into a passion. He started sharing videos to fellow crocheters in something he called The Crochet Crowd — a far-flung group that now includes three million people around the world on Youtube, Facebook and Instagram. For Mikey the passion and joy are stronger than ever, and now he?s hanging with the "in" crowd too: The Crochet Crowd.
Packed with pictures, personality and 15 patterns, this book will resonate with first-time and experienced crocheters alike. Crocheters will be treated to an exclusive collection of patterns for afghans, scarves, hats, cowls and other items that emphasize the texture, colour and coziness that Mikey and Dan have become known for.

Advance Praise

INCREDIBLE

"I love how this book begins with their background and gives a real and raw look at their journey. Then you get a plethora of incredible crochet patterns! Gorgeous wearables, blankets, and home décor filled with color and creativeness can be found on every page."

— Sarah Zimmerman, author of Crochet Cute Critters and founder of RepeatCrafterMe.com

SAY GRILLED CHEESE

"Two of the most magnetic, funny, smart and therapeutic guys I've ever met. Like your favorite comfort food (Say Grilled Cheese!) they accept you for who you are and make you feel connected to their world. I love their energy, thoughtfulness, design expertise, and overall amazingness!"

— Courtney Talkington, JOANN, former Manager, Marketing Planning & Execution

MASTERS OF THE HOOKAVERSE

"Mikey and Diva Dan are absolute masters of the 'hookaverse'. Their inspiration and community spirit keep them at the forefront of the crocheting world. But what makes them so special is their approachability and their down to earth attitude. For this, their fans absolutely love them. And 'The Boys' love them back."

— Sherry Leybovich, ECCS, LCS, CTA

INCREDIBLE

EDITION Paperback
PRICE CA$22.95 (CAD)

This was my introduction to the online community that is TheCrochetCrowd, and even knowing nothing about the group, I was blown away by the book. So warm and welcoming and funny and so many great patterns! I have not crocheted since 2019, and this has made me want to pick up my hook again. Definitely a great addition for our library, and a wonderful gift for the yarn artist in your life.

A charming introduction to The Crochet Crowd, plus patterns that are absolutely beautiful! Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

For me crochet has been something I’ve been doing since I was a long girl. My mom encouraged me to try all different kinds of crafts, from quilting to doll making and of course, crochet. I was drawn to this specific fiber art after trying knitting and not really grasping it. Crocheting came easier to me and has been something I even use as a form of meditation. Plus at the end of a project, you have something to show for it and a great gift for those you love is a bonus. Who doesn’t love a handmade gift? When I found this book, I knew I had to check it out and was pleasantly surprised at just how much was offered in the way of patterns and tips. You’ll learn edging techniques and find some easy patterns if you’re just starting out. I recommend you check it out and try a few of the patterns!

This book shows a charming insight into the world of the crochet crowd. I absolutely loved the pages and the stories about each of the members, I taught myself to crochet a few years ago and the stories told in this wonderful book felt very personal and heartfelt. The patterns were also stunning and I thoroughly enjoyed looking through all the patterns and picking a couple out as future projects. The book also went into depth over abbreviations and terms with crochet and resources linked to the crochet crowd which would be very helpful for a beginner. I would say that this book would be helpful for beginners and an exciting addition to any crocheter's shelves including the more advanced crocheter as they have more complex patterns in the book which beginners may struggle with initially. *a big thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for providing me with an ARC copy in exchange for an honest review*

A beautiful book both aesthetically and for the heart of the creators which shines on every page. I’m a long time crafter but fairly new to crochet, having started out 8 months ago. It was wonderful to read the authors journeys into the craft, and how it can even save lives. Then there are the gorgeous patterns and stories behind the people and places that inspired them. The book is colourful and engaging with wonderful colour photography throughout and guides to every stitch pattern. I can’t wait to hook up some of these creations! Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for letting me access an advance copy of this book in exchange for my feedback.

A fantastic introduction to The Crochet Crowd and its community. The patterns look beautiful with a mix of easy-to-manage beginner-friendly patterns and more complex and challenging patterns for an advanced crocheter. I look forward to making one or two of these projects!

Awesome read. Mikey is not a fan of the saying "I crochet so I don't kill people" my saying is.I crochet in the car so I don't help my hubby drive. Enjoyed the back story of how the website started. Ive been crocheting over 55yrs and The Crochet Crowd YouTube channel helped me out a few times understanding a pattern. I agree crochet is a community of people coming together for a purpose. The patterns are nice for new crocheters.

The Crochet Crowd: Inspire, Create, Celebrate is such an exuberant, inclusive, and just plain fun crochet guide with tutorials and patterns collected and written by Michael Sellick and Daniel Zondervan. Released 26th July 2021 by MacIntyre Purcell Publishing, it's 243 pages and is available in ebook format. Print format is in pre-release now. The first part of the book contains some background for the authors and their journey within the fibrecrafts world as designers. I enjoyed reading about their lives (before and after they met one another) and building their online community and the story until now. There's a warmth and kindness to their writing "voice" and although it's certainly quirky and fun, it's also honest, and not all yarn and sunshine. The second part of the book contains the patterns and tutorials. Patterns include accessories, baby things, blankets, wraps, cowls, and several other items. The patterns are written by several different designers and they're all attractive and well written. Most include both written directions and design charts, so readers have a choice. Patterns include yardages and specific yarns, so readers can potentially substitute followed by step-by-step directions. Every page includes clear, full colour photography. Tutorials and patterns include process shots (without fingers or tools in the way of the camera). The authors have also included some useful appendices: a primer on making a success of selling at craft shows, abbreviations and short directions for different stitches used in the book, and a useful resource and links list. This is a quirky, inclusive, and very fun book with some beautiful patterns and a strong sense of community. I hadn't heard of them before (I'm much more of a knitter than crochet-er), but I'm definitely a follower now. Highly recommended for library acquisition, fibrearts and guild studios, and home use. Five stars. Disclosure: I received an ARC at no cost from the author/publisher for review purposes.

If you only buy one crochet book this year, make it this one! Michael Sellick sets the example for other instructors. His patterens are easy to follow, available in both written and graphed but best of all, they are beautiful! Ive made many family heirlooms utilizing the patterns and guidance provided by the Crochet Crowd. I cannot say enough great things about this book.

Michael Sellick is a character, a great character. This book is full of his character. The pictures might be the best thing about this book. Don't get me wrong the patterns are nice and I'm sure that anyone can find something they'd like to make. There are blankets, scarves, hats,etc. I would say they are beginner to beginner intermediate. If you want to smile and crochet go ahead and purchase this.

As a member of The Crochet Crowd I was thrilled to receive a copy of this book from the publisher. This book was definitely written for those who already are familiar with Mikey, Dan & The Crochet Crowd. In this book we learn about Mikey’s life, how he came to his love of crochet and how The Crochet Crowd came about. There are also some really great all new patterns in the book. The patterns are clearly written and include all different skill levels. If you want to learn how to crochet this book is not for you.. I would recommend that you check out Mikey’s videos on YouTube. He’s a great teacher. Then come back and get the book.

This is a lovely book. I loved the back story of the authors and how they got into crocheting and the story of their journey to where they are today. the full color photos and sample projects are really a nice addition to break up the text of the narration part of the book. Then, to top that all off, are beautiful patterns for hats, afghans, shawls, baby blankets, scarves, and many other wearable items that are unique and beautiful. This would be a great gift book for anyone would would like to learn to crochet, or someone who already loves to crochet and appreciates a great story and even better patterns.

Intermediate to advanced crochet level patterns. Interesting new (to me) stitches that I am excited to try. Yarns used are available.

What a delightful book! We read how Michael, and then also Daniel, ended up in the world of Crochet. Michael learns to crochet as a young person and even crochets later as a truck driver on the road to keep himself occupied in his downtime. That passion to crochet evolves into teaching others through his YouTube channel and sharing the enthusiasm of creating beautiful projects with yarn. I’ve been a crocheter for many years and love the great colorful pictures throughout the book and with the crochet patterns. I’ll be purchasing the paperback version of the book and have already noted a few patterns I want to make soon!

The Crochet Crowd: Inspire, Created, Celebrate by Michael Sellick, Daniel Zondervan Book starts out with table of contents then introduction and about the authors and just how the crochet crowd came about. So many personal details and about how crocheting saved him while growing up. So sad to hear of the tragic upbringing and then again so very happy about how crochet saved him. So many items in this book I want to make. Patterns are easy for all and even though they have row by row instructions there is also the option to use the chart to crochet. Very colorful photos of the items. Each patterns starts with a paragraph about the item. List of what you will need: yarn, hooks, other notions are listed. Special stitches are explained along with other notes for the pattern. Instructions per round or row start the pattern and you can also use the chart format included. Charts include stitch key. Photos with people in them they are all so happy, they must love what they are doing. Like hearing of the idea of crochet cruises and swapping a square with others to make your own charity afghan or give it as a gift to another. Love yarn tales stories, so cool! 1800's Ireland and potato famine and how Irish crochet came about. Love the idea of the craft shows and how to watch and listen to what it is people want to buy. Tips about how to be a success at the craft show is included! Abbreviations are listed at the end and they explain how to make the stitches. Tunisian abbreviations are also included with explanations of the stitches. Resources via YouTube channel are listed. Acknowledgements and thanks lists yarn testers. Love how the colors of the yarn tell a story along with just the right pattern. Links online of where to find the authors are included. Great resource book and pattern collection to keep on hand. A KEEPER! I received this review copy from Nimbus Publishing, MacIntyre Purcell Publishing Inc. via NetGalley and this is my honest opinion. #TheCrochetCrowd #NetGalley

I have to admit that I have no previous knowledge of Mikey, Diva Dan, and the hookers who make up the Crochet Crowd, but I'm a sucker for fine crochet books - and this one certainly qualifies. First up - I LOVED the fun, kicky layout of the book! Perhaps a bit too much of it is taken up with Mikey's story. I would have preferred less bio, more projects, especially since the patterns that are included are SO gorgeous. We are treated to fifteen patterns for hats, scarves, afghans, and more. (I have an affinity for infinity scarves, and, yep, there's a nice one here.) I'd say most of the patterns trend toward the more experienced crocheter. Directions seem simple enough, though the abundance of scary looking diagrams give me pause. (Then again, I'm a gal who uses mostly single and double crochet in making crocheted critters.) I'm assuming plenty of help will be available via the internet. In the past few years it seems like the knitters have been getting all the COOL books, so it's nice to see crocheters finally get their due. I'll definitely be buying this one!

What a lovely book! I’ve been following The Crochet Crowd for years, so I was so excited to see that they had written a book! Part memoir, part pattern book, I really enjoyed it.