Incubators

A Graphic History

Pub Date 01 Jan 2022 | Archive Date 30 Nov 2021
Lerner Publishing Group, Graphic Universe ™

Talking about this book? Use #Incubators #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Sorry friends: e-Galley not available for Kindle download.

When babies are born early, they often have trouble surviving. But special containers called incubators help babies grow by keeping them warm and protected.

At first, people in the medical world were skeptical about incubators. But some trailblazing doctors believed in the technology—and put it on display across Europe and the United States. "Incubator exhibits" showed the public how incubators saved lives. The controversial displays led people to accept this medical innovation. Meet the doctors who invented the incubator, and follow the incubator's fascinating rise with this graphic history.

Sorry friends: e-Galley not available for Kindle download.

A Note From the Publisher

Title also available as library bound for $29.32 (ISBN 9781541581517).

Title also available as library bound for $29.32 (ISBN 9781541581517).

More proof that comics can do a lot. The images and text in this book work well together and I love that this is an info-text visual book.

Easy to read and not too technical. Gives a great historical account of how incubators came about and the impact they’ve made for premature babies. Interesting facts and illustrations help to make the concept easier to understand.

This book was really interesting and educational! The inventing of the incubator is a wild ride and was depicted wonderfully in this graphic novel. I think kids of all ages and adults will enjoy this story. Definitely recommend.

This was a cute little story. It told the history behind the Incubators and how they were able to make enough profit to keep making them. I think this is a perfect book to teach children about Preemie babies, if their parents have one or if they just want them to understand different ways babies meet this earth. It was a quick read to, which is perfect for the younger demographic. I loved it!

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review! Incubators by Paige V. Polinsky and Josep Rural is a children's graphic novel that would make a great addition to any elementary or middle school's science curriculum. The 36-page book revolves around the invention of incubators in response to the many births of premature babies all over the world. There were a lot of facts that I was surprised about, such as how 1 in 10 babies are born premature. I was also surprised about how they found out that feeding babies through the nose was a good idea. I would definitely have been too scared to be the first one to try that! Overall, Incubators is a great children's graphic novel about science and history. I can envision teachers using it in classes to teach elementary and middle school students. The book itself was interesting, and I also learned a lot that I did not know before. For example, I had no idea that the inventor of incubators used to charge admissions for people to see preemies in the incubators. The invention of the incubator is definitely a fascinating story. If you're intrigued by the synopsis, or if you're a fan of children's graphic novels, you won't regret checking out this book when it comes out in January!