Odd Numbers

Narrated by Jess Nesling, Paul Panting
Pub Date 04 Nov 2021 | Archive Date 03 Nov 2021

Talking about this book? Use #OddNumbers #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Strange things bring people together. Things like a tragic death.

31st December 1999. The cusp of a new millennium. Six friends gather for their traditional New Year Celebration – this year, in a lakeside cabin on the outskirts of Prague. In every group of friends, each has a role. All except Gael that is. The outsider. The one who wasn't there when it happened.

Dhan was the jester of the group, until he disappears, taking part of their future with him. In spite of this monumental loss, the remainder of the group has gathered every other New Year’s Eve since to remember Dhan's death and to celebrate their friendship.

But what if that friendship is built on a lie?

Two decades later, on their final celebration together it's Gael’s turn to organise their reunion and she is determined to uncover the truth of what exactly happened that night 20 years ago. In a snowy chalet on New Year's Eve, she starts asking questions. Old wounds reopen and a dark secret comes to light, sending a shockwave through their lives.

Truth comes at a price.

A character-driven psychological drama told from five different perspectives in both past and present, "Odd Numbers" weaves a tapestry of mystery, grief, survivor's guilt, lies, secrets and how humans change and evolve over time.

Strange things bring people together. Things like a tragic death.

A Note From the Publisher

Author Bio: JJ Marsh is a Welsh author based in Switzerland, a founding member of the award-winning author collective Triskele Books and the Swiss Ambassador for The Alliance of Independent Authors. Oh, and she writes in an attic overlooking a cemetery. As an author she is known primarily for her bestseller series of crime novels featuring Beatrice Stubbs. Jill has been featured in The Guardian Readers’ Recommend and The Bookseller’s Editor’s Choice.

EDITION Audiobook, Unabridged
PRICE £10.99 (GBP)
DURATION 5 Hours, 57 Minutes

NetGalley Shelf App (AUDIO)

Five friends go on a wonderful new years trip. the friends all expect to ring in the new year and millennium with fun and excitement. Sadly, they end up with tragedy and a million questions. They will have to wait 20 years for answers. "It's a strange sense of sadness when you lose a friend. Not through sudden death or terminal illness- just the knowledge they want you out of their lives." Although, these characters were not particularly "nice"... "likable" people I did enjoy the first-person account each of them give us. This allows for great character development. I also enjoyed the narration. I love the accent of the narrator, but I also enjoyed her ability to showcase each of the different accents of each of the friends.

Many thanks to Netgalley and Saga Egmont Audio for providing me with the Odd Numbers audiobook version in exchange for an honest review. Odd Numbers is a psychological drama with a clever twist. It is a story about six friends who study in Geneva to be translators. There are three men (a rich Czech, a Europhile American, and an Englishman of Indian descent) and three women (a Fin, a Swiss-French woman, and an Irish woman who wants to be a journalist) in the group. These six uni colleagues gather for a New Year's Eve celebration. They chose to stay on a remote lake in Czech. And not all of them make it out alive. Five of the remaining friends gather every year to commemorate the death of their friend. Their friendship survived because of guilt. The death of Dab is what holds them together. Gael, the Irish woman, finally gets to arrange the 10th New Year's party since their friend died. The story is told from different povs and each character gets to tell their relationship with Dan and how they've been coping with it. There is a reason why their 10th New Year's celebration will be their last one. And it is a question who will survive the beginning of the new decade. As I've consumed this book in a audiobook format, I must say that the narrators were excellent. They did an amazing and I strongly recommend listening to the audiobook. In all honesty, having listened to it as an audiobook only improved the experience. I wouldn't have enjoyed the story If I read it as a physical book or an ebook.

This type of book is catnip to my mystery-loving mind. At the eve of the millennium, six friends went to spend New Year’s Eve at a cabin in the Czech Republic. One of them didn’t make it, and the odd number of friends left kept meeting every 2 years to celebrate and remember. They all have secrets and guilt over their friend’s disappearance. Each chapter is told from the point of view of each character, and they are all very distinctive and well-defined. As with any group, they have things in common and other characteristics that drive them mad. But something else is happening in the background. The chapters jump around in time, but the overarching story is never confusing. I really loved the plot, and the audiobook is flawlessly performed by Jess Nesling and Paul Panting, who give each friend a distinctive voice and accent. I imagined where the story was going and the final part requires a considerable suspension of disbelief, but it was still entertaining. I chose to listen to this audiobook and all opinions in this review are my own and completely unbiased. Thank you, NetGalley/#Saga Egmont Audio!

It was so interesting and confusing. But not so much that it would be impossible. It seemed a slow listening but it was quite different. Many different people makes it better and better and you forgot about time. Friends are friends and this people are still friends also after a tragedy. Can this mystery be in air forever? Discover it here. Thanks to Netgalley and Saga Egmint Audio for this opportunity.

First and foremost, a large thank you to NetGalley, J.J. Marsh, and Saga Egmont Audio for providing me with a copy of this publication, which allows me to provide you with an unbiased review. Having never read anything by J.J. Marsh, I had no idea what to expect. It was certainly an interesting thriller, exploring not only the events on one cold New Year’s Eve, but the fallout over the next two decades. Marsh does well to keep the reader guessing and building on her characters, even if the core event that pulled everyone together is soon left in the past. With a great twist in the latter part of the story, Marsh has a wonderful way of storytelling and I am eager to see how this compares to some of her other work. It was a biennial tradition for a number of college friends to gather on New Year’s Eve somewhere in the world. In 1999, it was the Czech Republic, where the cold and some unique activities would take certain group members by surprise. After an evening of drinking and cavorting, one of the group ends up in the water and disappears. The pall of his disappearance and suspected drowning hangs over them all as they process the truth. As the narrative continues, the reader learns of subsequent New Year’s encounters, as each of the five remaining friends grow and develop in their own ways. Some begin to come out of their respective shells, while others turn away from college memories and try to forge their own personalities. Soon, it’s been two decades and some cannot believe that fateful time in 1999 has been left in the past, without proper resolution. It’s on this 20th anniversary that old wounds are torn open anew, when a revelation comes to pass. Everyone discovers that what seemed a foregone conclusion could not be further from the truth. It’s only when the fallout is realised that new truths must be forged. While the book plays out in a unique way, it’s by no means hard to digest. J.J. Marsh does well to build up narrative momentum in the early stages of the novel, only to turn down the pressure for most of the remaining story. With a mix of unique characters, the reader can attach themselves to someone of their choosing, seeing their growth over the twenty years, but also realise the stagnant nature of life at times. Mid-length chapters keep the reader wanting to know more, particularly as the narrative switches to explore various perspectives and timelines. Marsh weaves a curious tale with strong psychological undertones that surface in the most tense manner during the climactic portion of the story. As this was sent to me as an audio ARC, I had better make some comment on the narration. While using two narrators, the story came to life, with great personalities emerging and accents to add to the creative presentation. I enjoy a well-casted audiobook and it would seem those chosen for this piece fit the bill perfectly. I’ll have to keep my eyes open for their work when next I am trolling for an audiobook to help pass the time. Kudos, Madam Marsh, for an intriguing novel that is both impactful and succinct. I’m eager to see what some of your other writing might be like. Love/hate the review? An ever-growing collection of others appears at:

First I listened to the audiobook. I had trouble keeping the characters' individual stories complete. The narrator did well with some female voices, but didn't differentiate enough for me. The male voice was really just okay. Now, the story itself was good. I did guess which way the author was going; however, I'm not usually right. The clues were there and I followed them. There is always something, and this book is no different. Without spoiling, I didn't understand why one was left out. That's all I'm going to say. I went back and listened at least three times, and I can only surmise I missed a clue. I would like to read the author again, and I love audiobooks. (love is an understatement). If there weren't about 100 books in my house and another 100 on my Kindle, I would actively seek the printed copy of Odd Numbers and physically read this. Should you enjoy a good thriller, not trashy, and light suspense this is for you. #Netgalley #OddNumbers #JJMarsh #Mystery&thrillers

4 stars A fun little thriller. The suspense was built up and motives for a potential crime were created effectively. Some of the characters were well-developed, whereas others felt a bit flat. The ending wasn’t unexpected, but it didn’t go where I thought it was going, which is okay; it also felt a bit rushed towards the very end, which is less okay. I enjoyed this one and will probably check out more work by the author in the future.

Odd Numbers by JJ Marsh was a gripping read with a compelling plot. I listened to the audiobook that was excellently narrated by Jess Nesling and Paul Panting. Odd Numbers was a psychological drama that included a surprising twist. It was a stand alone book that was well written, tense at moments and had interesting characters. New Year’s Eve celebrations were usually highly anticipated especially for those in their late teens and early twenties. The celebration of the 1999 New Year’s Eve was probably the most anticipated one in a very long time. After all, it was the YK2 celebration. For a group of six friends that met at university, this New Year’s Eve celebration had to be special. The location was chosen. The six friends, Gael, Lovisa, Mika, Simone, Clark and Dhanesh met at a remote cabin on a lake near Prague. It was perfect until one of the six friends tragically died that night. None of the five remaining friends were ever the same again after that night. Each had their own guilt and secrets. They each coped and mourned for their friend in their own way. The remaining five friends continued to get together each New Year’s Eve to celebrate and remember the friend they had all lost. Each year, one of the five friends took on the task of choosing the venue. That person was in charge of orchestrating the festivities. Now, twenty years later, the group had gathered once again. Each of the five had healed to some extent but none of the remaining five had ever forgotten their friend that died. As each friend arrived at the venue, each and every one of them had a sense of foreboding. It had been Gael’s turn to choose the venue. As each friend arrived, they all felt that something wasn’t quite right with this venue. No one was able to put a finger on what they were feeling or experiencing but they all felt the chilling atmosphere, odd occurrences and unexplained sightings. I enjoyed JJ Marsh’s storytelling in Odd Numbers. Not all of the characters were very likable but I did like the character, Gael. Even though I was able to anticipate some of the elements in the plot I still enjoyed it. The twist in the story was quite good but I felt that the ending was a little bit rushed. Odd Numbers addressed the themes of tragedy, grief, coping, friendship, secrets, acceptance and confusion. Overall, I enjoyed this audiobook and would recommend it. In my opinion, Odd Numbers deserved 3.5 stars. Thank you to Saga Egmont Audio for allowing me to listen to the audiobook of Odd Numbers through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

Five friends were once six. They now spend every other NYE celebrating the dawning of a new year together and mourning the one they lost. All were there on the night he died and none have ever forgotten him, or the things he did to them before his passing... I found this a read as tense as it was intriguing. This book was told through a multitude of perspectives and with stories provided from past new year celebrations and during other areas from each of their lives. As each told their tales, the truth about the precarious situation of their friendship group began to be revealed. Each revelation disclosed more of the crevasse lying below them, and how all would become entirely disbanded and shatter in the wake of the final secret divulged. I devoured this audiobook in one sitting. It was a relatively short book and that, combined the switching perspectives, non-chronological order of events, and multiple narrators had me entirely immersed and unable to stop my listening.

I recommend this character-driven mystery! For me it was a real page turner that I listened to every chance I got The characters were so well written I could picture then and the audio book readers did an excellent job with different accents that kept me wondering what would happen next Six college friend meet in Prague for a New Year’s Eve Party in 1999 to ring in the new millennium. What happens that night will change each of their lives forever. The ending was a bit too obvious for me but I enjoyed how the story gave each character’s viewpoint in individual chapters . I highly recommend this book and author Thanks for the opportunity to read in exchange for an honest review

It’s been twenty years since that fateful New Year’s Eve gathering in 1999. A group of friends has gathered together every year to remember Dhan, the joker of the group, who disappeared all those years ago. This year Gael is organizing the reunion, and she has decided that this year she will uncover what really happened that night. An outsider twenty years ago, Gael wasn’t in the loop with the others that night, but she’s going to be sure that at this, their final reunion, the truth comes out, no matter what the cost. This setting, a group of friends, alone in the wilderness, hashing over some dark event buried in the past, has become a popular trope in the last couple of years. Marsh does a good job at keeping the suspense going and adds a few surprises that help keep this story fresh

I have never read anything by this author so this was an introductory novel to the author and it was exciting. Odd Numbers by JJ Marsh was a gripping read with a compelling plot. I listened to the audiobook that was excellently narrated by Jess Nesling and Paul Panting. Odd Numbers was a psychological drama that included a surprising twist. It was a stand alone book that was well written, tense at moments and had interesting characters. It was certainly an interesting thriller, exploring not only the events on one cold New Year’s Eve, but the fallout over the next two decades. Marsh does well to keep the reader guessing and building on her characters, even if the core event that pulled everyone together is soon left in the past. For the past twenty years, Gael, Lovisa, Mika, Simone and Clark have spent every other New Year together, taking it in turns to choose the venue for a short holiday. There used to be six of them, but Dhan died at their Y2K celebration two decades before. At the time it was thought to be a terrible accident, but as the book progresses, we start to wonder if it was suicide, or even murder. The book is told in first person chapters from all five friends, and dots back and forth in time between the present and the various reunions of the past twenty years, which were held in many different locations. One of the characters comments that if it was not for Dhan's death, maybe their friendship would not have endured. Murder does change people and friendships. I really enjoyed delving into the different relationships, as well as trying to guess what actually happened that night of New Year’s 1999. Full of intrigue, atmosphere and suspense, I found Odd Numbers hard to put down and would highly recommend it to fans of the psychological thriller genre. Thank you to NetGalley, J.J. Marsh, and Saga Egmont Audio for providing me with a copy of this publication, which allows me to provide you with an unbiased review.

I've not read anything by JJ Marsh before so I had no preconceptions. The story is based around six friends who celebrated New Year's Eve together in 1999 where a terrible accident happened. They get back together every other year to mark the sad occasion and the story begins 20 years later when the characters are each looking back at past events, This is beautifully written with believable characters, Each new chapter makes you try to piece together what could have actually happened that night 20 years ago. Was it an accident? Full of intrigue and suspense, I found Odd Numbers a very enjoyable story would recommend it.

Many of us remember where we were on New Year’s Eve 1999, the turn of the millennium. For six university friends, Gael, Lovisa, Mika, Simone, Clark and Dhan, their New Year’s Eve trip to the mountain cabin in the Czech Republic should have been a night to make memories, something to look back on in years to come – and it was, but not in the way it should have been. Dhan did not return from that trip, but what happened could not be explained. The five remaining friends would never be the same again. Connected through tragedy, they decided that they wold get together every other year on New Year’s Eve to celebrate the future whilst remembering the friend they had all lost. Each year, one of the five friends took on the task of choosing the venue & planning the festivities – from Rome to London to Majorca they had been to various locations & built new memories, though the events of 1999 would always be with them. As the years go by, some things stayed the same (eg Lovisa the “mum” of the group always having the First Aid kit to hand) whilst other things changing as they grew apart in many ways. Were they really friends? Or just a group of people whose only connection was a tragedy 20 years ago? Now it is 20 years later & once again the friends have gathered again. This year they are meeting at a chalet in a skiing area, but as each arrives on that wintery evening they have a sense that something isn’t quite right. Everybody is on edge and there are some weird happenings – coincidences or sinister pranks? Does somebody know more about what actually happened that fateful night than they are letting on? I enjoyed the way the author unfolded the mystery – the suspense built well and as more secrets were uncovered we had more motives for a potential crime. The story flips between characters & their thoughts or experiences but we always know who is talking & when (eg “Gael, now” or “Simone, then”) and the overarching story is never confusing. The narrators did well to differentiate the voices though there were a few times when the accent slipped and I had to double check. Whilst not all of the characters were likable they did have distinct personalities and I really appreciated that we saw the characters develop as they aged over the 20 year period. I found this book difficult to rate - I thoroughly enjoyed it & was desperate for it to end so that I could find out what really happened, and yet I didn’t want it to end because I was enjoying it so much! The “big twist” and the ending wasn’t unexpected, as the clues were there throughout, however the way that the second part of the ending unfolded felt rushed & a bit flat – it was almost as if the author had got to the climax of the story & wondered how to wrap it up. However I absolutely loved this as an audiobook, in a way that I don’t think I would have done as a physical/e-book. The narrators did well to differentiate the characters & to keep the pace of the story just right. I will be looking out for more by this author!

This really was addictive and the narration was brilliant. I really enjoyed it. I had worked out what was happening but not the why which was good so it kept me listening. I was given an advance copy by netgalley and the publishers but the review is entirely my own.

I was a bit nervous of starting this book because I’ve read quite a few where a group of friends gets together at some kind of reunion and something forgoes horribly wrong etc etc and not once been impressed. However this was a really great story with an interesting mix of characters and locations. Lots going on in multi timescales but I found it easy to follow and quite easy keeping the different characters clear in my head. Helped enormously by the excellent narrators who really added to the enjoyment

This is one of those tales that slowly unravels, smacks you round the face and then kicks you while you are trying to get up. A really good read, or listen in my case. The narrators were so good I didn’t realise there was only two of them as they played the different protagonists who narrate each chapter.

I would like to thank @NetGalley and the publisher for giving me an advance copy of J. J. Marsh’s “Odd Numbers,” an above-average mystery which has introduced me to an accomplished writer. I finished “Odd Numbers” in a day because I couldn’t wait to find out—not just the plot secret—but also what the outcome means for each of the well-drawn characters. I immediately sought out J. J. Marsh’s other books but was disappointed to find that they seem to consist of a standard series featuring a female detective. I will almost certainly read these. But “Odd Numbers” is not at all standard, and I hope J. J. Marsh will pen another such unusual mystery. “Odd Numbers” concerns a group of 5 friends, who originally met at a language school in Switzerland. There was once a sixth member of the group, and his disappearance during a vacation at a Czech lodge has led the group to gather every other year in resorts across the world, as a mourning ritual. The point of view moves from one group member to another, as each recounts what happened the year he or she organized the group trip. In twenty years, the locations span New York, the Greek islands, and many renowned European cities; but the book is not a travelogue, and the narrative moves at a brisk pace. However, the multinational setting does add an element of interest, as does the fact that the protagonists represent several different nationalities. There is a certain amount of stereotyping in this—the French woman is beautiful flirt, the American a slightly uncouth outdoorsman, and so forth—but it does help to differentiate the characters. And—despite my reading this as an audiobook—I was never in doubt as to point of view. I also very soon came to care about each character; and the creation of intriguing characters is one of the distinct virtues of the writing. As is the intricacy of the plot. While the episodes are held together by the gradual discovery of what happened to their absent friend, every one of the protagonists has his/her own secret as well. This is skilled narrative construction; and it makes this book one of the most intelligent psychological thrillers I have read this year. I heartily recommend this book. 4.5 stars.

Narrators 5 stars These narrators were brilliant bringing all the different characters to life with the different accents. Story 4 stars While this was not a psychological Thriller (because it was very obvious how this was going to play out) it was definitely a really good suspenseful drama! All the characters were not necessarily likeable but they were definitely interesting and I was never bored listening. Would definitely try this author again.

Odd Numbers is about five friends that get together every other New Year to be with each other: celebrate, grieve, and try to move on. As something similar starts to happen again, they must figure out what to do so history doesn't repeat itself. This will be their last reunion... This was an audio book and I was hooked from the moment it started! The narrators were phenomenal and the book was very fast paced. The first half of the book you get a feel for the characters, as this is told through the POV of the 5 remaining friends and their memories. Although somewhat linear, starting in 1999 and moving to "now", the book does jump back to the past when characters are reliving their memories of what happened "that day" and New Years celebrations since. I enjoyed the way the friends interacted with each other and somehow manage to keep their bond throughout the years. As light is shed on their past and mistakes/regrets that they have, you become invested in their feelings and memories. During the "now", they meet up for their reunion when weird things start to happen; pictures being moved, chocolate coins in someone's bed, but who would be doing this? I'd like to say a huge thanks to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for an ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review. #reading2021 #fallreading2021 #booklover #booksofinstagram #audiobook #netgalley

Riveting from start to finish! It will keep you guessing until the very end, and I was easily swept up in the fast-moving story. Told from the viewpoint of 5 friends from college who have a shared trauma, the story takes twists and turns resulting in an unexpected final one. If you like thrillers that border the line of suspense at moments, you'll love this book- I certainly did!

This was the first I book read by the author, J. J. Marsh. In it, we follow a group of five friends, who once were six... The story begins in 1999, when the six (Clark, Dhan, Gael, Lovisa, Mika and Simone) want to celebrate the Millennium near Prague, in a cabin by a lake. But one of them dies and does not get to see the year 2000. For the next 20 years, the five survivors organize a New Year's Eve party every two years. The rest of the story is told in first-person narrations by the survivors, describing either one of the parties of the "Odd Number" year, or even the tenth (and final) party. Having never read anything by J.J. Marsh before, I didn't know what to expect. But I discovered that the author has a wonderful way of telling stories and I can't wait to read some more of hers! Marsh kept me guessing until the very end - and what a twist at the end! A creepy but very cool ending! Throughout “Odd Numbers”, we follow various characters at different stages of their lives. In this audiobook, two narrators, with distinct personalities and accents, tell us the story and allow us to identify each character by the way the chapter is read. The story comes alive in front of us, which makes this book quite addictive. It's a relatively short book which, together with the changing perspectives and the non-chronological order of events make the story fly by! I listened to this audiobook over 3 days, but if I could, I would have done it in one go! In short, it is a very addictive and intriguing story, and this audiobook version only makes this experience better! Thank you to NetGalley and SagaEgmontAudio for the opportunity to listen to this audio ARC!

Odd Numbers - JJ Marsh Narrated by Jess Nesling, Paul Panting I received an advance review copy for free thanks to NetGalley and Saga Egmont Audio and I am leaving this review voluntarily Can you forgive a friend? Strange things bring people together. Like a tragic death. Over two decades, five friends reunite every other New Year. They celebrate, grieve and heal. Memories grow dusty and the nightmare starts to fade. On the 20th anniversary, in a remote snowy chalet, old doubts surface. I had no idea what to expect going into this book, but it was definitely an interesting thriller. Marsh does well to keep the reader interested throughout this book and keeps the reader guessing until the latter part of the story. Whilst the books play out in a different way - it is no means difficult to follow. A gripping read with a very intriguing plot. Once I started listening to this book I found myself wanting to listen on to just one more chapter. My enjoyment of this book was definitely added to with the skills of the narrators. Rating 4/5

There seem to a flurry of books written/published recently about groups of people, often friends, meeting up and then something going wrong. I'll say no more on the plot as the blurb does it better without giving anything away. I listened to the audio version of this book and really enjoyed the narration as it was told from each of the friends points of view over a period of over 20 years. Overall the characters are well portrayed and the tension builds towards the end. However I did feel that the book finished rather abruptly with a somewhat predictable conclusion. A further twist in the final chapter would have made this an excellent novel. As it is the end left me feeling disappointed after enjoying the build up.

This audiobook ticked all the boxes for me! A close knit group of friends✅ Multiple POV chapters with talented narrative cast✅ A mysterious disappearance/possible murder✅ I loved every moment of this short book and my heart was racing at the last act. This is my first read by JJ Marsh but I think it’s a must listen for anyone who enjoys a suspenseful story! The audiobook narration is fantastic — (although whoever voiced Clark had a spotty American accent at best) — and made it very easy to keep track of the various characters and their personal motivations. This is good for fans of Ruth Ware and Lucy Foley. On New Year’s Eve 1999, six university friends gather at a Czech chalet and decide to take a plunge in the frozen lake. Only five friends come out of the lake that night. Dhan, handsome and funny and charming Dhan, never resurfaces. The long shadow of that night follows the other 5 friends for 20 years as they reunite every other year to celebrate the New Year and remember their lost friend. Over the years, we get everyone’s perspective and learn that this close knit friend group has more than a few weak spots. And everyone had a reason to be upset with Dhan on that night long ago…

Five, university friends gather for a New Years eve reunion, a biennial tradition. This is the twentieth year since a terrible accident meant the loss of the sixth member of their group. As there are unanswered questions relating to this tragedy, the five remaining friends struggle to trust each other. The setting for their reunion is a remote cabin and, after a few strange unexplained happenings, this sets the scene for a wonderful suspenseful thriller. I was kept guessing most of the way through and enjoyed the excellent narration. Thank you to J. J. Marsh, Net Galley and Saga Egmont for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I received an ARC of this audiobook from Netgalley. I really enjoyed most of this book. The characters were vibrant and interesting, as was the format, told almost exclusively over New Year’s Eve holidays spent together by a group of friends. There was an element of mystery, but most of it was a character drama. This book moved swiftly, especially since the chapters cycled through five different perspectives. We didn’t trawl through the same scene over and over; instead each chapter built on the story and character development of the previous one. I liked the characters a lot - they were unique and didn’t easily fit into stereotypes. On the rare occasion a trope was used, it was either abandoned or subverted. I loved that. I don’t think we see enough of that in books. What I will say is that this book was far too pared back. It almost read like a script. I needed—wanted—to read more about these characters, their lives, motivations, feelings. This book gave us the cliff notes version of the protagonists, but would have been so much richer and intriguing had the author filled in more details. We understand the gravitas of the situation, and the pain and struggle they endure, but we don’t know them as people. We know what they do and who they are. This was an outline of these characters. A story like this needs to be immersive, not just diverting, and because of the bare bones style of writing, that’s how it came across. Our main protagonist, Gale, is the audience stand-in, but I hardly know anything about her. She has one trait that is essential to the story, but who is Gale outside of that? Who are the others? Because I enjoyed these characters and this book so much, I feel like we needed to know so much more. SPOILERS: Most of the characters read like they’re white. There’s no mention otherwise, so that’s the default that I assumed. I say this because the author specifically stated that Dan is of Indian origin. Now, I liked that they had this complex character of Indian origin, but then, he was the one who died, and also, he turned out to be a total rotter. Worse, and this was a trope that I wish the author had subverted, he was almost forced into an arranged marriage. I know this is hard for some people to believe, but not every single Indian person—inside or outside of India—is faced with this ultimatum. It’s the trope that’s used far too often and came into this book so late in the day. That too, when it’s the only apparent character of colour, it’s disappointing that he’s such a bad guy and he’s facing a stereotypical situation. END SPOILERS Despite my enjoyment of the book, I didn’t care for the ending. It just fell flat for me. I think there are a few reasons why. It dragged on too long with unnecessary plot-blocking dialogue that was more infuriating instead of suspenseful. It was also a little predictable. The bigger issue was that we suddenly got a singular view and it didn’t delve into the psychological impact of the twist. We’re talking about people who’ve dealt with trauma for nearly half their lives. Anything to upend their understanding of reality has to also address the grief that comes with this new knowledge. That would have made a much more powerful denouement. As I’ve said, this book is thoroughly engaging and the characters are the key to this book’s success. But it wasn’t detailed and filled out enough to be wholly memorable.

ODD NUMBERS by J J MARSH - an AUDIOBOOK PUBLISHED DATE: 4 NOVEMBER 2021 LISTENING TIME: 5 HOURS AND 57 MINUTES. NARRATORS: JESS NESLING & PAUL PANTING Where do I start? With the narrators of course! Jess Nesling and Paul Panting were EXCELLENT! For me personally, the narrators are so important, get it right and your on a winner! The narration moved the book along at a good pace (once you get to hear & learn the characters by accent). The accents were super! At 6 hours of listening, this audio book can be read in one sitting and is addictive. I did find I had to rewind 30 seconds quite a bit and had to slow down the speed of the narration at times. For me, the correct speed of listening was 1.25 on the audio scale. I enjoyed this audio book but was confused in parts. Once you '' tune'' into the accents you are off and running. The storyline can be gleaned from the blurb and no spoilers in this review. The story is about grief, guilt, secrets, lies and human behaviour, Oh boy, what an ending. I would recommend this audio book. I give a 4 start rating. I WANT TO THANK NERGALLEY FOR THE OPPORTUNITY OF LISTENING TO AN ADVANCE COPY OF THIS AUIDIO BOOK FOR AN HONEST REVIEW

This book was crazy y'all! So, it opens with 5 friends who are going on a trip to celebrate New Year, Dec 1999. During the trip, Dan is involved in an accident and 2 years later he is legally declared deceased. The friends continue meeting through the next 10 years to commemorate Dan and his memories. That 10th Anniversary is unsettling. The memories, the realization that they really should have stopped meeting years ago, it is just too much.

Thank you NetGalley, JJ Marsh and Saga Egmont Audio for the chance to listen to and review this audiobook. The performance of this audiobook is amazing. The story follows a group of translators and their trips that take place over several New Years Eves over the course of multiple decades. This group hails from a variety of countries and the two narrators skillfully imbue each character with their own accent making it easy to distinguish between characters. I saw the twist coming but thrillers are my favourite genre. I still thoroughly enjoyed the book and will check out more from JJ Marsh. JJ Marsh was great at slowly weaving more information into the storyline.

This book was brilliant. I enjoyed it that much I listened to in one day. I really enjoyed the full cast of this audio book with various accents. This book has a very creepy feel to it. There was a great sense of atmosphere and tension and I felt an immediate connection to the characters. Although one aspect of the story was predictable there were also many twists and turns along the way that I didn't expect. I really loved the aspect that a group of friends meet together every year at different countries across the world. The interactions between them made me laugh out loud at times. The ending surprised me a little I did see apart of the ending coming but defiantly not the way it ended. I was like what ... why! I failed to understand why it ended the way it did. It left me a little disappointed hence why it got 4 stars and not the 5 it was heading for. It is well worth listening to though, as it is a great story. I'm left wondering did I miss an important point somewhere and that is why I didn't quit understand the ending, or maybe I looked to hard to find an answer. Thanks to the author and publishing team for creating such a gripping and creepy thriller for us all to enjoy. Posted review on amazon, goodreads, waterstones, kobo and BARNES&NOBLE. Also just published the review on my blog https://ladyreading365.wixsite.com/website/post/odd-numbers-by-j-j-marsh-saga-egmont-audio-4-stars

What an enjoyable story. About deceit and friendship, how friends can let each other down. False trust. I really liked this story and flew through it in 2 days. Thank you for allowing me to listen to this audiobook, Books like this make me obsessed with audio.

Odd Numbers by JJ Marsh is a mystery told from the point of view of 5 friends who lost one of their own. The audiobook narration was superb and kept the pace flowing nicely. I believe the question that the author is asking us to think about is “what are these people capable of” and he answers it with a great final twist at the end. Secrets are shared throughout the whole novel between the friends and lead us to constantly question the character of our protagonists. I would definitely recommend this short book to mystery lovers, unless you dislike stories told from multiple points of view, because the reader does have to keep up with 5 different ones.

Odd Numbers by JJ Marsh is a story about friendships that are not goals. 20 years ago 6 friends celebrate New Years Eve but by the end of the night only 5 are left. Now every other New Year's they reunite in honor of the one who didn't return. But after 20 years of their shared tragedy there is paranoia, distrust and possible murder. The descriptive prose of European locales like wintry Prague put you right into the story. Narrators Jess Nesling and Paul Panting are spectacular at giving distinct voices for each character. The ending felt a bit rushed but I appreciated the wink to the audience about what occurred though a follow up epilogue would have been perfection. Also, check out the author's Beatrice Stubbs series. It is just brilliant. I received a free copy of this audiobook from Saga Egmont via #Netgalley for fair and honest reviews. All opinions are my own

A tragic accident on the eve of the new millennium leaves a lingering sadness among a group of five college friends. They meet every two years on New Years Eve to rekindle their friendship and share memories of that night. Each chapter is narrated by a different member of the group, over a period of twenty years. It's an engaging story of interpersonal relationships, as well as the mystery surrounding that incident. The narration was mostly quite good with each character's reflecting their heritage. But I found the accent given to Clark (who is supposed to be from Alaska) to be more like a New York or New Jersey accent, and thus not authentic.

Thank you so much for my ARC! On November 4, I will feature the book in my Instagram post on my blog-account @thrillers_and_unicorns , and I will also post my review on that day! I will tag Netgalley, the author, and the publisher. Also, as soon as I finished this book, I will post my review on Goodreads, Amazon, and send it to you via Netgalley. Best regards Sandie

I enjoyed the narration of this thriller. Thank you Netgalley for the opportunity to review this audiobook. I will admit I had an inkling of how it might end.

I would like to thank the Publisher Saga Egmont Audio, the author JJ Marsh, and Netgalley for the review copy of this book #OddNumbers #NetGalley Six friends became 5 on New Years Eve of 1999. Because of that incident, they find themselves gathering every other NYE in places around the world to catchup but also to mourn the lost of one of them. Was it suicide? Was it murder? The friends question it over and over and rehash what happened. No one has forgotten him or what he did to each of them as individuals. What is to become of this group? Will they stay friends or has this one incident been the only thing holding them together? I found the story very intriguing. It was told from different perspectives and time periods with bits and pieces of each of their current and past lives thrown in. I felt this lead to some difficulty in following the story with my normal audiobook consumption (listening while engaged in many other things that are competing for my attention). No matter it still kept my attention and gave me a good journey. I sat back for the ride and was not disappointed.

Format: audiobook Author: JJ Marsh ~ Title: Odd Numbers ~ Narrators: Jess Nesling, Paul Panting Content: 3.5 stars ~ Narration: 5 stars A group of six friends met at the University during their studies of linguistics. On 31st December 1999, Dhan disappears. So, two years later, five remaining friends organize a new year’s gathering as a memorial for a lost friend. They meet every other year on new year’s eve. As linguists, they meet in a different city each time. We get to know a group of distinct characters from different parts of the world: from party animals to fragile and sensitive ones. Psychological drama. Slowly, through five POVs, the true story of friendship unravels. And with it also the lies and secrets they are trying to hide. The story stretches from the first gathering to the last, twenty years later. I liked most of the book and this whole character dissecting, but the last twenty percent of the book was just ok. I guess I was hoping for something more. Despite that, I liked it, and it was worth reading it. The narrators did a wonderful job. Jess Nesling narrated three different accents for each female friend. Thanks to Saga Egmont Audio the for the ARC and the opportunity to listen to this! All opinions are my own.

This book was captivating from the very beginning as a group of friends reunites and tries to put aside long-buried secrets. I was never too sure of what to think, which I loved but the ending did feel a bit rushed and I wasn't entirely sure it fit. The audiobook version of the book was an enjoyable listen - the narrator did a great job telling the story and bringing these characters to life. Many thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for the advance copy.

Six friends gather for a crazy weekend of snow, champagne, and other indulgences. In the midst of their mischief, one disappears. And now there are five. Did Dahn really jump into the frozen lake? All but one saw him go in, but no one saw him come out. Could he be waiting for them in the sauna? Could he have slipped passed them when the outside lights flickered? Gone. He's just gone, swallowed whole at the icy lake. Over the course of the next twenty years his friends gather in various countries every other year to reunite with each other and morn his untimely death. But Gael, being a journalist now, has some questions brewing. Would her friends have committed murder? There was the missing thirty-thousand pounds, the pregnancy, and the one night of forbidden passion. Gael is determined to discover the truth. With a full audio cast, J.J. Marsh's novel is brought to life and it won't disappoint. Thanks To NetGalley for an advanced audio copy. All opinions expressed here are my own.

What an incredible short story. Having the revolving characters narration throughout each chapter made it so easy to feel as though you were just another friend I’m this friend group. I really never saw the end coming and I have already recommended this story to multiple friends! Thank you to NetGalley for the advanced audio copy of this book in return for my honest review.