Just Health

Treating Structural Racism to Heal America

Pub Date 22 Feb 2022 | Archive Date 29 Mar 2022

Talking about this book? Use #JustHealth #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

The author of the bestselling Just Medicine reveals how racial inequality undermines public health and how we can change it

With the rise of the Movement for Black Lives and the feverish calls for Medicare for All, the public spotlight on racial inequality and access to healthcare has never been brighter. The rise of COVID-19 and its disproportionate effects on people of color has especially made clear how the color of one’s skin is directly related to the quality of care (or lack thereof) a person receives, and the disastrous health outcomes Americans suffer as a result of racism and an unjust healthcare system.

Timely and accessible, Just Health examines how deep structural racism embedded in the fabric of American society leads to worse health outcomes and lower life expectancy for people of color. By presenting evidence of discrimination in housing, education, employment, and the criminal justice system, Dayna Bowen Matthew shows how racial inequality pervades American society and the multitude of ways that this undermines the health of minority populations. The author provides a clear path forward for overcoming these massive barriers to health and ensuring that everyone has an equal opportunity to be healthy. She encourages health providers to take a leading role in the fight to dismantle the structural inequities their patients face.

A compelling and essential read, Just Health helps us to understand how racial inequality damages the health of our minority communities and explains what we can do to fight back.

With the rise of the Movement for Black Lives and the feverish calls for...

Excited to read this book by @lawdeanmatthew. So timely and an honest look at how the passing of her father and many in his generation was not merely due to individual health flaws, but generation systemic racial burdens that chip away at lifespans and carry forward domino effects for their offspring. #DaynaBowenMatthew #JustHealth #NetGalley

I really enjoyed this title and highly recommend. I feel this will make an excellent addition to anyone’s book collection. Please be sure to go and pick this one up!

This book is full of information. Like JAM-PACKED. A lot of important historical and extensive epidemiological research went into this and it shows. It’s not the smoothest reading experience as this reads a bit like a textbook but it’s a very valuable resource for people who do the work of creating safe and healthy communities to get into. I was able to read this through #Netgalley.

I think people who teach public health at universities or are interested in working in health policy should read this especially.