Anonymous Sex

Pub Date 01 Feb 2022 | Archive Date 01 Feb 2022

A bold and playful collection of erotic stories written by some of the world’s finest writers. The twist? Each story is “anonymous,” allowing for tales as subtle or explicit, strange or familiar, tender or fierce as each writer wishes—leaving readers to guess who wrote what.

Welcome to the ultimate literary parlor game—a collection of unattributed erotic stories written by a stellar list of authors, including winners of the Pulitzer Prize, National Book Awards, PEN Awards, the Women’s Prize for Fiction, Edgar Awards, and more. Anthology editors Hillary Jordan and Cheryl Lu-Lien Tan present an elegant, international collection of erotica, that explores the diverse spectrum of desire. There are stories of sexual obsession and sexual love, of domination and submission. There’s revenge sex, unrequited sex, funny sex, tortured sex, fairy tale sex, and even sex in the afterlife.

This seductive anthology is true to its name: while the authors are listed in alphabetical order at the beginning of the book, none of the stories are attributed, providing readers with a glimpse into the landscape of sexuality as explored by twenty-seven of today’s best-known authors.

Contributors include: Robert Olen Butler, Catherine Chung, Trent Dalton, Heidi Durrow, Tony Eprile, Louise Erdrich, Jamie Ford, Julia Glass, Peter Godwin, Hillary Jordan, Rebecca Makkai, Valerie Martin, Dina Nayeri, Chigozie Obioma, Téa Obreht, Helen Oyeyemi, Mary-Louise Parker, Victoria Redel, Jason Reynolds, S.J. Rozan, Meredith Talusan, Cheryl Lu-Lien Tan, Souvankham Thammavongsa, Jeet Thayil, Paul Theroux, Luis Alberto Urrea, Edmund White

ISBN 9781982177522

This book is an anthology written by authors with a definite skill for writing the erotic. No awkward bedroom scenes here, only great atmosphere, great writing, and something for everyone to enjoy!

I received a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. Thank you NetGalley! Let's start with the cover. It's vibrant and eye-catching due to that. It suites the book in that manner. This book is certainly spicy and keeps your interest. There are some hot scenes. I'd definitely recommend this to my friends.

A book full of stories that cover all of your romance needs - from full-on steamy to much tamer. I loved tried to guess who wrote each story. They also all worked well together as one collection.

Thank you Netgalley for this ARC for an exchange of an honest review. I really enjoyed this one. Recommend it.

Anonymous Sex features short vignettes written by multiple authors. It's a fun and spicy read, easy to pick up and devour just a few pages at a time or the whole thing. I just wish I knew which authors wrote which stories!!

What a fascinating concept for a book: an anthology of stories about sex, in the wide range of what that can entail, written by great authors who are listed in the beginning, but you don't know who wrote what: so it's aptly named Anonymous Sex. You can try to analyze who wrote what, or simply enjoy each story on its own merit. It certainly would make for some lively discussions.

Wow, this book is filled with juicy stories and it will make you want to hide out and read it in one sitting. I am not sure who wrote all theses stories but, it definitely had me scouring the internet looking for clues based on the writing styles. I think this book will be loved by everyone who enjoyed contemporary romance novels.

An interesting collection of short stories that is bound to have something for everyone. The stories are well written and a quick read. Thank you to #NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for my honest review.

NetGalley ARC Educator 550974 The stories aren't about anonymous sex, they are stories by the authors mentioned in the beginning of the book. No stories are attributed to its author. Some of the stories are steamy, some will have you shaking your head. You get to choose who the author is for every story.

First, thank you so much to NetGalley for this advance copy of Anonymous Sex. What a fantastic idea, so credibly and trickily executed: The book is titled Anonymous Sex, and it's a compilation of stories/essays/musings by various authors. Those authors are listed alphabetically, their stories are not. You read the stories not knowing who wrote them. No point of reference. Whether you think the story is based on truth, whether the author wrote the story more freely knowing that the reader didn't quite know who wrote it...........I'm not sure. Some of the stories may be true, they may reflect the author's longings or retellings. Some stories are in the very distant past, and some told in the much distant future. They may be about sex, or what someone thinks is sexy. It's a lot. I loved the variety, and I felt that all the stories were told very freely. Each story fit its own style perfectly, whether short or long, graphic or illusory. It's probably a book I never would have thought to pick up and read. Yes, the title is rather inviting, but the body of the book is so much more. I really can't go into any of the stories, as it might be telling in just that, and I would not want to spoil any one author's contribution. Let's just say that if you are willing to take a leap of faith here, you may really enjoy yourself. I really recommend this book!

I received an Advanced Reader copy from Netgalley for my honest review. The book has short stories written by notable authors. They are anonymous so that you do not know which author wrote which story. Some of the stories have more depth than others. The title intrigued me. The premise is interesting. I wanted to know which author wrote each story, but that would ruin the idea of animosity.

Great writing and I love how all of the stories are different. Some are heartbreaking and some are absolutely steamy! Loved them all! The fun might be in guessing who is who.

This was a series or semi-erotic/erotic short stories written by authors listed. All authors of the short stories are listed, but the short stories themselves are anonymous in terms that you are left guessing which of the authors wrote each story. The stories varied in their eroticism levels. I also liked how the anonymity allowed for a safe space for creative sexual ideas and writing to flow. Some stories were different with very abstract/almost paranormal premises while others focused heavily on the religion comparison. There were some with relationships and some with beginning fantasies. There are stories to fit everyone and plenty of ideas to really get one thinking in almost a sexual awakening. Maybe so people do not feel alone in their thoughts.

A really good collection for people looking to give erotica a try! I occasionally read erotica, but often find that it's too fetishy or too crude to be enjoyable, or, on the flip side, that it's more like a romance novel and it's too tame to actually be erotica. This one is perfect! It's intriguing without being crazy crude or vulgar, there's a story line but it's not a lengthy romance, it's just all around a really good choice for the occasional reader or someone new to the genre!

I received this book as an ARC from Netgalley. So thanks!    The concept of this book was pretty great. I find myself struggling to read two books at once, feeling like I am going to confuse myself and not give the adequate attention that they all deserve. Having short stories really appealed to me in that aspect. The different writing styles also were phenomenal to ready, did I like every story? No, but I found several that I cannot get out of my brain. Rapunzel Rapunzel? Loved it, probably my favorite along with Asphodel, Find Me and Ode etc Amo to just name the prominent ones that got stuck in my brain. I would say the biggest downfall is that it's SO anonymous that I can't follow up with the authors whose work I loved BUT it's also a huge reason why I loved this work as well. Should the collaborators who put this work together publish another, I would get it.

A bold anthology of short stories, each written anonymously so we don't know which author penned what. The cover of anonymity allowed each writer to let their creativity and imagination run free, with a fantastic end result. This collection covered everything --- from first times to married couples to escorts to futuristic encounters. Some of the stories really nailed it (no pun intended) and the book as a whole was a quick and interesting read.

This was a great collection of short stories from start to finish. It was such an interesting and unique premise - but beyond that it actually followed through on the stated goal. I enjoyed every single story in this collection and I’m only sad that it’s over.