A Fan Studies Primer

Method, Research, Ethics

Pub Date 01 Dec 2021 | Archive Date 01 Dec 2021

Talking about this book? Use #AFanStudiesPrimer #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

FAN STUDIES
The discipline of fan studies is famously undisciplined. But that doesn’t mean it isn’t structured. This is the first comprehensive primer for classroom use that shows students how to do fan studies in practical terms. With contributions from a range of established and emerging scholars, coeditors Paul Booth and Rebecca Williams pull together case studies that demonstrate the wide array of methodologies available to fan studies scholars, such as auto/ethnography, immersion, interviews, online data mining, historiography, and textual analysis. This collection also probes the ethical questions that are unique to fan studies work, such as the use of online fan content for research, interview methods, consent, and privacy.

FAN STUDIES

A Note From the Publisher

CONTRIBUTORS: Maria Alberto, Cait Coker, Renee Ann Drouin, Anne Gilbert, Danielle Hart, Matt Hills, Lies Lanckman, Julia Largent, Katherine Larsen, Lori Morimoto, EJ Nielsen, Mandy Olejnik, Rukmini Pande, Milena Popova, Kadian L. Pow, Suzanne Scott, Josh Stenger, Alex Thomas, Elise Vist, Lesley Willard, Benjamin Woo

Advance Praise

“This groundbreaking collection marks the further maturing of fandom studies as an academic field through its consideration of a diverse range of fan practices, methodologies, and theoretical issues, with a strong emphasis on ethical concerns. I know I will be sharing many of these contributions with my students for years to come.”—Henry Jenkins, author, Textual Poachers: Television Fans and Participatory Culture

A Fan Studies Primer is a necessary contribution to the field. The book makes a vital case for the importance of methods and methodology in fan studies—while, importantly, recognizing the complexity and risks of doing so. It is an essential resource for scholars, researchers, and students.”—Adrienne Evans, Coventry University

EDITION Paperback

Send To Kindle (PDF)

Average rating from 1 member

I loved this. As someone who is a fan, who writes and consumes fanfiction, enjoys fanart, loves transformative work, with a background in media studies, this primer made me think that if I ever went back into academia, it would be media fandom focused. These essays were thoughtful, well-referenced, and tended towards being concise and sharp. I very much appreciated that many of them drew attention to the invisibilised 'normative' whiteness within fandom, the problems this presents, and the oppression it continues. I also appreciate the effort of the editors to include the voices of people of colour, and I particularly enjoyed the essays particularly written by Kadian Pow and Alex Thomas. But all of these essays are excellent, thoughtful and encapsulate relevant and topical (and controversial in some cases) themes in fandom, academia and acafandom. Some of the essays in this were quite dry and opaque, using a lot of jargon (I have never encountered the word 'multisited' before), while others are extremely accessible even for laypeople. It does presume that readers will have some awareness of the initial and most famous or well-known acafandom academic pieces, which I didn't, and I don't think that's necessarily a barrier to entry (if anything, it inspires curiosity). On a personal level, I enjoyed that this primer delegitimised antis, and shone a spotlight on their harmful and abusive behaviours. I think anyone interested in fandom and topical fandom issues, especially around race, ethnography, colonialism, transnational communities and the different ways we see ourselves in fandom, or see fandom, or interact with media fandom, will find a lot useful in this primer. I'm really grateful for this review copy, and it's going to have a special place on my shelf, I wanted to quote a ton of it on Tumblr and in other fan spaces as I was reading. This work is *relevant.*