When We Cease to Understand the World

Narrated by Adam Barr

Pub Date 30 Sep 2021 | Archive Date 14 Oct 2021

Talking about this book? Use #WhenWeCeasetoUnderstandtheWorld #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

When We Cease to Understand the World is a book about the complicated links between scientific and mathematical discovery, madness, and destruction.

Fritz Haber, Alexander Grothendieck, Werner Heisenberg, Erwin Schrödinger—these are some of the luminaries into whose troubled lives Benjamín Labatut thrusts the listener, showing us how they grappled with the most profound questions of existence. They have strokes of unparalleled genius, alienate friends and lovers, descend into isolation and insanity. Some of their discoveries reshape human life for the better; others pave the way to chaos and unimaginable suffering. The lines are never clear.

At a breakneck pace and with a wealth of disturbing detail, Labatut uses the imaginative resources of fiction to tell the stories of the scientists and mathematicians who expanded our notions of the possible.

Fritz Haber, Alexander Grothendieck, Werner...

EDITION Audiobook, Unabridged
DURATION 5 Hours, 41 Minutes

NetGalley Shelf App (AUDIO)