The Who

Much Too Much

Pub Date 15 Nov 2021 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #TheWhoMuchTooMuch #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

The Who were one of the most popular and influential rock groups of the 1960s and 1970s. Revered by fans, they became a world-class act, securing their longevity with sensational live performances and pioneering music. From their early days as The Detours, they evolved, emerging at the vanguard of the UK Mod movement as The Who. With a vernacular of teenage angst, pop art-inspired attire, and sell-out shows at London’s Marquee Club, The Who cultivated a devoted following and captured the voice of a generation. The Who: Much Too Much follows the group’s tumultuous history. Through the triumphs of Pete Townshend’s ambitious creations in rock operas Tommy and Quadrophenia, to Roger Daltrey’s forays into film and television, and the tragic death of first Keith Moon, then John Entwistle. With incisive text, archive reviews and interviews, and a track-by-track summary of all The Who’s studio and live albums. Sumptuously illustrated with a wealth of colour and black-and-white photography, including album art, this book is a must-have celebration of one of the most enduring names in rock music history.

A Note From the Publisher

Please note that this is a large illustrated book, and is best read via Adobe Digital Editions. Instructions for installing here: https://netgalley.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003979634

The Who’s amazing journey is well chronicled in this recent offering from Mike Evans. A true celebration of the band from their early days as Mods to their rise to fame and their ever evolving musical roots from rock to rock opera, this is a joy for all fans of the band and music in general. The four distinctive personalities of Daltrey, Townshend, Entwistle and Moon captivated audiences with memorable music and live performances with often destructive stage antics. Their presence at the Monterey Pop, Woodstock and the Isle of Wight Festivals helped to catapult them to rock star status. Amidst the fame and adulation were the shadowed pitfalls of touring, drugs, drink and the eventual deaths of Moon and Entwistle. From breakups to reunions to reformation, the Who have endured and influenced. Filled with interesting text, track listings, photos, reviews, anecdotes and ephemera this is a triumph and an unparalleled tribute. Thoroughly enjoyable and highly recommended. My thanks to NetGalley, Mike Evans and Palazzo Editions for an ARC in exchange for an honest book review.

The Who: Much Too Much by Mike Evans is a wonderful history of both the band and the music. Combined with excellent photographs this is a great addition to any fan's collection. I know that many people like to claim they "didn't learn anything new" in books like this, mostly as a form of posturing, or, of course, that reader is the only person in the world with a perfect memory. I have no idea how much of the information here is brand new, nor do I care. I like having this much info in one place, well written and organized. Even if I have heard most of the facts before, I have forgotten many of them so having my memory refreshed is, well, refreshing. The book progresses album by album, covering tours, personal lives, tragedies between the track lists for each. I enjoyed playing each albums I have while I was reading the chapter about it. I was actually a little surprised at just how much detail there was. I expected, and would have been satisfied with, a simple overview of the band's career and albums along with the pictures. But this includes anecdotes, the usual stories, and some nice commentary as well. Very pleasantly surprised. If you have ever seen The Who, the pictures from the time frame(s) you saw them will bring back memories. I only saw them three times, but twice was in the 70s and those pictures really took me back. I would highly recommend this to fans of the band as well as anyone interested in the music and youth culture of the 60s and 70s in particular. Reviewed from a copy made available by the publisher via NetGalley.