None of this is Serious

Pub Date 07 Apr 2022 | Archive Date 07 Apr 2022

Talking about this book? Use #NoneofthisisSerious #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Dublin student life is ending for Sophie and her friends. They’ve got everything figured out, and Sophie feels left behind as they all start to go their separate ways. She’s overshadowed by her best friend Grace. She’s been in love with Finn for as long as she’s known him. And she’s about to meet Rory, who's suddenly available to her online.

At a party, what was already unstable completely falls apart and Sophie finds herself obsessively scrolling social media, waiting for something (anything) to happen.

None of This Is Serious is about the uncertainty and absurdity of being alive today. It’s about balancing the real world with the online, and the vulnerabilities in yourself, your relationships, your body. At its heart, this is a novel about the friendships strong enough to withstand anything.

Advance Praise

‘An extraordinary novel. None of This Is Serious brilliantly explores the impossibility to "come of age" in end times, where screens are so contiguous to experience that no-one is ever truly online or offline. She writes truthfully and with affectless nuance about the labyrinthine workings of friend groups and the defences women scramble for in a world that still hates us’
NAOISE DOLAN, author of EXCITING TIMES

‘I inhaled None of This Is Serious. I’ve been waiting for a fictional story that reflects the all-consuming influence that the Internet has on my life. None of This Is Serious is that story. A compulsively readable, fresh and painfully accurate description of the way we live now. Don’t let the title fool you. It is serious. Seriously good’
LOUISE NEALON, author of SNOWFLAKE

None of This Is Serious is brilliant – so devastatingly precise about being a young woman living in Ireland and online today, moving deftly between sharp, hilarious observations and heartbreaking, enraging moments’
CLAIRE HENNESSY, author of LIKE OTHER GIRLS

‘A stunning, searing vision of modern neurosis and female experience in the online age, with characters so boldly done they jump out of the page and follow you around the room. You'll come away from it punch-drunk and staggered’
J.R. THORP, author of LEARWIFE

EDITION Paperback
PRICE £12.99 (GBP)

This book was something I did not expect, in a good way. Sophie has graduated, and is right in the middle of that existential crisis of 'what am I gonna do with my life' and 'how am I ever going to be able to buy a house in this economy', right at the moment a purple crack appears in the sky, which triggers existential crises of 'is the world ending' and 'why is no one as panicked as I am' etc. Very relatable for me, a millennial with eco-anxiety. The best thing about this book is that it uses these two different types of existential threats to Sophie to show how much we tend to focus on things that don't matter (boys) because of trauma, and how we use the internet to escape from the anxiety and depression the trauma and climate crisis (or possible apocalypse). Smart and well done. The writing was also impeccable: sharp and feverish.

I devoured this book, it was such a good read and so relatable with the obsessive nature of social media and the effect and hold it has on peoples lives. It was both funny and heartwrenching, I was engaged straight from the beginning.

Sophie isn't the person she seems online. Her best friend has outgrown her, the boy she loves hardly knows she exists, she's starting a strange new online friendship and she doesn't feel together at all, not in the way everyone else seems to be. Her life as a student is over and now she has to go out and add new worries about houses and taxes to the ever growing pile. Then at a party she doesn't even want to be at, a crack appears in the sky. And she finds herself just waiting for someone on the internet to tell her something rather than adding yet another phone-camera picture of the crack to Instagram. Now, all she can do is scroll until something, anything happens. "I'm not sure when the internet ceased to be a place I could escape to, to get lost down rabbit holes and take care of virtual pets, but it does not offer me the same things anymore. I have a feeling it's to do with cyber and personal space melding, warping each other." None of this is Serious is a celebration of just how wonderful the world is but also just how strange modern life can really be. Delving into the amazing truth of having worldwide connection at your fingertips - but the dangers that come with it too. The mental anguish that seeing polished, curated social media feeds can cause and of course how easily the internet can become a rumour mill. Perfectly capturing the very real burnout many young people feel when faced with a hopeless future, this story was full of dryly funny and wickedly witty observations about growing up and getting lost - painfully relatable and delightfully weird. Sophie was a brilliant narrator - chaotic and messy but just trying her best. Bordering somewhere between the mundane and the absurd - this book will make you take a step back and not take things so seriously.

Read through netgalley I thought this book captured exactly what that weird period after leaving uni and having to be a real adult is like perfectly. I thought it was well written and the crack gave the story an interesting dimension. It kind of felt like the whole story was waiting for something to happen with the crack which sums up the feeling the book was trying to capture really well. Would recommend