Proper Scoundrels

Pub Date 28 Dec 2021 | Archive Date 27 Jan 2022

Talking about this book? Use #ProperScoundrels #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Don’t miss this highly anticipated next book in Allie Therin's acclaimed Magic in Manhattan universe!

Their scandalous pasts have left them wounded and unworthy—and hopelessly perfect together.

London, 1925

Sebastian de Leon is adjusting to life after three years spent enthralled by blood magic. The atrocities he committed under its control still weigh heavily on his conscience, but when he’s asked to investigate a series of mysterious murders, it feels like an opportunity to make amends. Until he realizes the killer’s next likely target is a man who witnessed Sebastian at his worst—the Viscount Fine.

Lord Fine—known as Wesley to his friends, if he had any—is haunted by ghosts of his own after serving as a British army captain during the Great War. Jaded and untrusting, he’s tempted to turn Sebastian in, but there’s something undeniably captivating about the reformed paranormal, and after Sebastian risks his own life to save Wesley’s, they find common ground.

Seeking sanctuary together at Wesley’s country estate in Yorkshire, the unlikely pair begins to unravel a mystery steeped in legend and folklore, the close quarters emboldening them to see past the other’s trauma to the person worth loving beneath. But with growing targets on their backs, they’ll have to move quickly if they want to catch a killer—and discover whether two wounded souls can help each other heal.

Magic in Manhattan
Book 1: Spellbound
Book 2: Starcrossed
Book 3: Wonderstruck

...

PRICE CA$11.99 (CAD)

Allie Therin delivers another smash hit with Proper Scoundrels. Soft, sad boy, and self-proclaimed dangerous paranormal, Sebastian volunteers to protect cantankerous, secretly sweet, Wesley whose own past has left scars. A thrilling mystery and a beautiful love story are woven into a wonderful, magical world in this world-class spinoff.

A spin-off from the Magic in Manhatten trilogy, Proper Scoundrels is as delightful as the original works. Readers who enjoy Arthur and Rory's story will enjoy Sebastian and Wesley's happily ever after. This standalone could also be read and enjoyedc by those new to this 1920s paranormal universe. Both protagonists struggle to feel worthy of a happily ever after and their discovery of one another as intimate partners is full of gentle warmth even in the midst of paranormal threat. Highly recommended. Content note: trauma/PTSD related to bothWWI military service and magical kidnapping/torture.

I have 100% fallen in love with Allie Therin's books! This book exists in the same universe as the Spellbound books - and focuses on Wesley, Lord Fine and Sebastian de Leon. Both have complicated histories - both within the previous books and within their own lives. Sebastian de Leon was under the control of blood magic and forced to do things his very kind soul would have never considered. He is still dealing with the trauma of that experience and doesn't feel safe anywhere. He has been looking out for Lord Fine ever since the end of the last book - even though Lord Fine has no idea about it or about the supernatural world. Sebastian really is a very dangerous marshmallow. Wesley is also a very complicated man. He is basically - an asshole - but a very likeable one. He has absolutely no filter and keeps everyone around him at arms length. He is also almost completely alone in life. I adored every bit of him. He is one of those characters who is so unique and utterly delightfully, unrepentantly himself that you can't help but love him. The book is set in 1925ish and I adored being immersed in that period. I also adore the diversity shown in this book (and all the others). And if Allie Therin doesn't write more books in this universe I will be utterly devastated. This book does stand alone - and you could 100% read it without reading the other books in the same universe - but I really can't recommend the other books highly enough, so you're missing out if you don't read those too! I was so lucky to receive and ARC of this book from Netgalley, but these opinions are all my own.

oh. Oh this was one of the best things I’ve read in a pile of amazing things I’ve read lately. The grumpiest grump in Wesley, who I adored the second he told Arthur: “I want one” about Rory (yes you absolutely must go read their series first why wouldn’t you) who thinks the most wonderful things about Sebastian The purest danger marshmallow fluff sunshine in Sebastian who has to be the most intriguing redeemed (is it redeemed tho? Was he ever bad? No.) who just wants to be good Visits from Jade and Zhang and Isabel and add in Molly and Mateo, making this even more special Scary villains This was unbelievably good and Sebastian and Wesley are at least tied with Rory and Arthur as favorites….probably are favorites tbh but don’t tell Rory I’d love to see Wesley and Sebastian in Puerto Rico. Can we have that? Please? Please show Wesley that the waters are actually that blue and show Sebastian his home again. Take every recommendation I’ve ever given and more. This book is magic.

This is a lovely LGBTQ+ historical urban fantasy. It's pleasure to read; the characters are delightful, the sex scenes are smoking (whooo-hooo!!) and I really loved how the romance came together naturally of two people getting to know one another. The world is well developed and, although I was a little lost because I hadn't read the previous trilogy, Therin gives enough backstory for the reader to get along. In this case, I'm going for the highest compliment I can give an author. I'm going back to read the first trilogy because now I want more! I hope Therin continues to write in this world.