Primal Animals

A Novel

Pub Date 24 May 2022 | Archive Date 07 Jun 2022
St. Martin's Press, Wednesday Books

Julia Lynn Rubin's Primal Animals is Wilder Girls meets The Female of the Species: a girl gets sucked into a secret society at an elite summer program, with deadly consequences…

I'm not going to say much about what Primal Animals is about because I think it's best to go in not knowing much. All you really need to know is that it takes place on a summer camp girl gets pulled into a secret society there. This book is something else, from the plot to the setting to the characters, I was invested in all of it. I love horror that gradually gets under your skin and this story delivered exactly what I wanted and then some. Primal Animals is haunting and beautifully written and if you like horror thriller with a sapphic romance, I definitely recommend this book! A special thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press & Wednesday Books for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

To say this book is chilling is an understatement! It's YA horror that takes place in a summer camp with an elite secret society; what could possibly go wrong?? Young Arlee is excited to follow in her mother's footsteps as this camp promises to encourage academic tutoring in addition to activities such as archery, swimming, and horseback riding. Arlee has some fears of her own though (bugs, moths, flies, etc) that seem to seek her out at the most inopportune times (and. now I'm a little afraid of those too)! The vibe is downright creepy even as the campers make friends and attempt to complete "normal" summer activities; the tension is always there though--right below the surface until it spills over into real life. So read at your own discretion (and note that I gave it 5 stars as Rubin's prose is fluid and ever-shifting)! This one will haunt me for a good long time (but it's worth it)!