The Texan's Favor

Pub Date 06 Oct 2021 | Archive Date 15 Oct 2021

Talking about this book? Use #TheTexansFavor #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Ambushed, Texas Ranger Jake Fontaine's a dead man until a Kansas spinster raises her shotgun in his defense. Despite the rogue lawman's obsession to bring in his brother's killer, duty demands he escort her to the next town.

Kat Collins is a thief, though an honorable one. She's on the run from controlling kin and aims to escape her past. Traveling with Jake offers the perfect cover—until her uncle finds them sharing a campfire and imposes his own kind of justice—a wedding.

Marriage will cost Jake his freedom, but refusing may cost him his life. Kat figures he's bound to recognize her on a wanted poster. Would sharing passionate nights in his arms be worth the peril?

EDITION Ebook

I confess I don't read many western romances so take my review with a grain of salt. Jake Fontaine is a Texas Ranger chasing the man who killed his brother. Finally catching up to him in Kansas the tables are turned and were it not for the help of a woman on her own Jake would be dead. They continue on the trail staying together in pursuit of killer. Kat Collins is on the run herself from her controlling uncle who is also a judge. The story is almost two separate parts. The first was page turning with some exciting chases and shoot-outs. Also it is a forced proximity romance as they travel and learn about each other. Then there is a leap in time and the story changes flow. I didn't find the second half as interesting. Other people are interfering in the relationship. I didn't feel deeply connected to the characters. I didn't understand why Kat is placed in control of her uncle other than her family was gone. I also didn't know why Jake was a Ranger and not just running his ranch. Or where his parents were. There isn't a lot of emotion between the MC's either. In the first part Kat offers to share a bed and I didn't know her feelings or thoughts that led to the offer or how she felt when it wasn't accepted. For me parts of the story seem to be missing. And I'm not sure who Texas law would have been but could she really claim ownership of land if she was married? In England the property would automatically have belonged to the husband. I still enjoyed the plot but hoped for a little more. Thank you to Net Galley and The Wild Rose Press, Inc for an ARC ebook in exchange for an honest review.

Love ain’t easy. Isn’t that the truth? Especially when you don’t want to fall in love in the first place. In The Texan’s Favor, what starts out as a forced arrangement turns into one wild ride--whether it ends in happiness or turmoil, that’s up to you, the reader, to find out. Honestly, I don’t want to give away any spoilers, but I loved that each character gets the development he or she deserves. The romance between Jake and Kat isn’t just chalked up to passion but actually has a chance to grow into something worth fighting for and has real depth. I want to read about love that's real, and that's what's in this historical romance. For those of you that aren’t just in it for the romance, you get your fair share of gunslinging and cattle rustling, not to mention a high stakes wager that really makes Kat and Jake’s paths collide for better or for worse. Does love take backstage to a woman’s independence or a man’s pursuit of a killer? If I were you, I’d cozy up on the sofa and read :) Thank you to Net Galley and The Wild Rose Press, Inc for an ARC ebook in exchange for an honest review.

A ranger on a vengeful mission, a thief on the run, can they outrun their pasts or will being caught bring them closer? Texas Ranger Jake is hunting down the murderer who killed his brother in cold blood. Jake almost dies himself at the hands of the criminal’s gang when a beautiful woman shoots his assailants. What is a woman doing unprotected in the middle of Kansas? He offers to protect her while she travels to the next town, yet she scoffs. At him? A Texas Ranger? He persuades her to see his way of thinking and they travel together. Chaos breaks out when her uncle finds them together. Her uncle threatens death until Jake marries her. He’s stuck between a rock and a hard place. He can’t deny how he feels about Kat. Can he convince her he’s not like her uncle and a life with him will be fulfilling? Or will she run away from him? The Texan’s Favor is a historical western romance worth reading. From the emotional narration to the lush descriptions, this story will transport you to the old west. I connected with both Jake and Kat immediately. While both harbor secrets, it was enjoyable to watch them squirm as they worked through their issues. This was a classic western setting with vengeance, independence, propriety, and more twists. The plot was perfectly paced with action, intrigue, and romance to keep the reader invested. The action scenes were historically accurate and every nuance was described so it was easy to whip through the pages. The romance took a while to get going but once they kissed, it took off. I loved the tension between these two independent people. It ratcheted up the anticipation and honestly made my romantic heart beat faster. The ending was so good, I wanted to reread the whole story after I finished reading it. I didn’t want to leave the characters or the world D.K. Deters created. If you love historical western romances, pick up The Texan’s Favor. If you secretly want to live as a feisty heroine in the old west, you’ve got to read The Texan’s Favor. Highly recommend! Disclaimer: I received a copy from the author in the hopes I'd review it. My thoughts are completely my own. My Rating: 5 stars

Jake Fontaine, a Texas Ranger, is hot on the trail of the vicious outlaw, Grizzly Duvall, when everything goes wrong. Kat Collins is hellbent on escaping from her abusive uncle when she witnesses the ambush that will end the lawman’s life. She makes a rash decision to fire at the attackers and her actions save him. Now, Jake is obligated. But because she’s dressed like a boy, he doesn’t realize she’s a woman until her hat falls off and her braid tumbles out. His Texas code of ethics won’t allow him to leave a woman alone in the wilds of Kansas. Frustrated that this new turn of events causes him to lose the outlaw he is so determined to capture, he offers to accompany her to the ferry that will take her across the river to St. Louis. Kat is strongly independent. She needs no one. She will make it to St. Louis and start a new life as a seamstress. So, when Jake insists on accompanying her, she makes it clear she does not need his help. Thus begins a tumultuous relationship. Each struggles to deny any attraction they feel. Things go sideways when Kat’s uncle catches up to the pair and forces Jake to marry her. After all her uncle is a judge and the marriage is legal and binding. For me, this part of the story was not believable. That a man would go to all the trouble to track down his niece, then not force her to return with him seemed a little far-fetched. But now they’re married and when one night of passion brings them together, maybe they are going to work out their differences after all. Not the case. While Jake is sleeping, Kat sneaks away, taking his horse with her. Throughout the rest of the story, Kat is running and Jake is pursuing and each time they meet up, their relationship switches from cold to hot in seconds. The story ramps up when Jake’s grandfather goes to St. Louis to find Kat and get her out of his grandson’s life forever. But instead, in five short weeks, he falls in love with the woman who has given birth to his great-granddaughter and on his dying bed, wills the ranch in Texas to her. Now things get really complicated. Jake is betrothed to another. He has no idea he has a daughter. He and Kat are like oil and water. I grew a little frustrated with both of them at different times during the story when they lied to each other and danced around the truth over and over. However, the story does culminate into an action-filled shoot-out and happy ending. If not for the frustration I felt while reading the story, and a couple of plot twists that were not believable, this would be a five-star read for me. However, I give it a four-star rating. If you enjoy westerns, and tumultuous romances, you would enjoy this story.