Shadow of Spain

Pub Date 04 Jan 2022 | Archive Date 31 Dec 2021
Canongate Books, Severn House

Talking about this book? Use #ShadowofSpain #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

As King Philip of Spain prepares to invade England, Ursula heads to Brussels on a desperate mission in this compelling Tudor mystery.

March, 1588. With England in a state of high alert as King Philip of Spain amasses a vast fleet of warships ready to invade, Queen Elizabeth and her advisors seek a possible alliance with the Duke of Parma, Governor of the Netherlands. But their plans suffer a major setback when one of their most reliable spies is found murdered in the Hertfordshire countryside, shot dead by a crossbow bolt as he was transporting secret correspondence between the queen and the duke.

The queen’s half-sister and occasional secret agent, Ursula Stannard, is happy not to be involved for once. But when Ursula’s ward Mildred elopes with the handsome yet mysterious Berend Gomez, Ursula is forced to follow the pair to Brussels, where she finds herself plunged into a hotbed of intrigue and rumour at the Duke of Parma’s court, a place where no one is to be trusted.

Can Ursula rescue Mildred, effect an alliance with the duke, and stay alive in the process? The future of England depends on it.

March, 1588. With England in a state of high alert as King Philip...

A Note From the Publisher

We will consider requests from established bloggers, Acquisition and Collection Development Public Librarians and booksellers in the UK and USA. For Goodreads and Amazon reviewers, we will take into consideration your NetGalley Feedback history.

EDITION Hardcover

WOW! This book is phenomenal! It is gripping, intriguing, full of history, full of twists and turns, and so much more. Whenever I picked up "Shadow of Spain", I was whisked back in time to the Elizabethan Era, and went on such an adventure with this story. The Tudor and Elizabethan Eras are two of my favorite eras to read about, and as soon as I saw that this novel is set during this time, I just knew I needed to read it! This is the 20th book in Fiona Buckley's "An Ursula Blanchard Mystery" series, but is the first I have read. I definitely think this book can work as a stand-alone novel, and I can't wait to read the previous books in the series as well! Ms. Buckley's storytelling is simply spectacular. She brings the past vividly to life right before the reader's eyes, and she seamlessly weaves history and fiction together to create a story that is rich in historical detail. I can only imagine the amount of research Ms. Buckley must have done, and her passion for writing is so clear. Queen Elizabeth I's court is preparing for an invasion by King Philip II of Spain, which will become known as the Spanish Armada. Elizabeth is also hoping to form an alliance with the Duke of Parma, who is Philip II's nephew. During a meeting, Elizabeth, Ursula, and some of the queen's other advisers find out that one of their spies has been murdered, but, they do not know by whom. Ursula, Elizabeth's half-sister and a secret agent, is told that it is possible she will need to flee to safety should England be attacked. However, when Ursula's ward, Mildred, runs away and elopes with a man whom she hardly knows, Ursula and her friend Christopher follow the couple to where they believe the couple has gone, the Duke's court.. Did the man Mildred marry actually marry her for the right reasons? Will Ursula be able to find Mildred? Who can be trusted, and who can't? What happens once the Philip II's ships come to England? With lots of spying, double-crossing, alliances, lies, secrets, and more, this book will keep you on the edge of your seat. If you enjoy historical fiction and / or historical mysteries, I highly recommend this book! It kept me turning the pages chapter after chapter to see what would happen next, and I read the book in one day as I absolutely could not put it down! I hope this series continues, and I can't wait to read what Ms. Buckley writes next. Thank you so much to Canongate Books-Severn House for the ARC of this book! All opinions expressed in this review are my own.

A rollicking and very entertaining new addition to Fiona Buckley's marvellous Tudor Mystery Series starring Ursula Stannard, Queen Elizabeth's half sister and talented royal spy. It's March 1588 and England is facing the imminent invasion of its shores by the formidable Spanish Armada, a huge naval operation orchestred by Philip II of Spain who dearly hopes to bring England back under the Catholic umbrella and avenge Mary Stuart's death....So begins a race against time for the English crown to thwart the voracious ambitions of a dangerous & perfidious foe determined to wreak havoc upon its lands and topple the beloved Virgin Queen from her throne.... Spies, double agents, traitors, murderous shenanigans and a colorful (and at times sinister) cast of characters will take the reader into a frenetic voyage from London to Brussels and to the court of Philip's nephew, the Duke of Parma, the current governor of the Spanish Netherlands where the maps of the impending and much feared invasion must be obtained at all costs..... Cleverly plotted with enough twists and turns to keep you on the edge of your seat, this delightful historical romp is also a very captivating fictional tapestry of a nation on the brink of greatness. Ms Buckley is simply brilliant! So go ahead and enjoy this literary feat whitout any moderation whatsoever👍 Many thanks to Netgalley and Canongate/Severn for this terrific ARC