The Woman Who Took a Chance

Pub Date 17 Mar 2022 | Archive Date Not set

Meet Jen. Flight attendant. Mum to a grown-up daughter. Permanently single.

Age: Fifty (gulp)

Number of children: One

Number of husbands: Zero (it’s complicated)

Number of failed first dates in the last month: Too depressing to contemplate

Number of tickets for a romantic, once-in-a-lifetime trip: Two

Readers can’t get enough of Fiona Gibson:

What a treat!… A riot of a story, showcasing a woman in her fifties… Bravo!’ Goodreads review, ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

‘With a sparkle and packing a punch, this was a read I galloped through… It was definitely the escapism I needed’ Goodreads review, ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

I love Fiona's books, they are so uplifting… Fab, enjoyable read full of likeable characters great settings’ Goodreads review, ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

‘Give me more stories like this one! I loved it and I read it as fast as could’ Goodreads review, ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Fantastically feel good… A happy, uplifting read’ Goodreads review, ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

‘Gem of a read… I loved the vivacity of the protagonist and it felt like I was watching a friend over the course of a year’ Goodreads review, ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Meet Jen. Flight attendant. Mum to a grown-up daughter. Permanently single.

Age: Fifty (gulp)

Number of children: One

Number of husbands: Zero (it’s complicated)

Number of...

EDITION Ebook
PRICE £2.99 (GBP)

Fiona Gibaon's writing always makes me smile and this novel definitely did. Jen is made redundant her life long career of working at a budget airline. So she finds a part time job at a local supermarket and enters the world of online dating. A cheerful look at life when things go wrong. A must read for fun!

Another wonderful Fiona Gibson novel.Love that this is a novel that women can really relate to.Warm funny entertaining a story I really enjoyed .#netgalley #avonbooksuk

I was drawn to this book as I read 'The Little Bakery On Rosemary Lane' (penned under the name Ellen Berry) earlier this year and thoroughly enjoyed it. 'The Woman Who Took a Chance' lived up to my high expectations. A heart-warming book, I love that Jen is a mature woman rather than the twenty/thirty something's which seem to dominate women's fiction. Well-written, I devoured this book in a day - the characters are believable and true to life. There were a few parts which moved fairly slowly, however overall, an enjoyable and warm read. Thank you to Netgalley and publishers for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

Jen has just been made redundant from her lifelong job, and feeling sad she goes to visit her daughter Hannah in London. Hannah convinces her that dating apps are the thing to get her back on track. This is the hilarious story of the next few months of Jenn’s life as she navigates the world of dating whilst looking for a new job.

I loved this delightful story and found it to be very heartwarming. It was the feel good story I needed and as a woman in her 50's I could relate. I look forward to reading more from Fiona Gibson. Thanks to NetGalley and Avon Books UK for the advanced e-book in exchange for a fair and honest review.

I have read a few of Fiona Gibson’s book now and have enjoyed them so when I seen the chance to review this on NetGalley I was excited and thankfully it didn’t disappoint Telling the story of Jen, a 50 year old woman who gets made redundant after 29 years of being an air hostess. The story details the ups and downs of finding love and a new job whilst dealing with family dramas. Fiona has an amazing way of dealing with daily struggles which I find all readers can relate too.

I was so.glad that she believed In herself and how strong she actually is. That is why she attracted Harvey. Hannah gave her full.support because she saw how her mom changed. A fun and uplifting book.

I absolutely love Fiona Gibson's work, these are real women, living real lives and their stories leap off the page. Engaging, entertaining and incredibly funny, this is a razor sharp look at dating in your fifties which shows that love - and flirting - is not just for the twentysomethings. Highly recommended.

The Woman Who Took a Chance is a fun story about Jen, a 50 year old flight attendant who is encouraged by her daughter to start online dating when she loses her job. We follow her journey to find a suitable partner through a series of dates that show all the pitfalls of meeting someone via a screen. It’s certainly not something I’d want to contemplate, and even less so after reading this 😂. I really enjoyed this lighthearted read that also touched on the more serious sides of midlife too. All the characters were believable and it was easy to pick up and put down, although I did read it in a couple of days. I wasn’t expecting that ending either which is always a nice surprise. As I’m now in my 50s, it’s good to read books where the main characters are of a similar age, in a market that is often flooded with 20 and 30 somethings. I thoroughly enjoyed this - 5 stars.

Another really strong read by Fiona Gibson. As always, I loved the character development in this novel and this was brilliant at moving the story forward. Perhaps not her most gripping of stories so far, but this is definitely a good read to pass time and be entertained.

This book is refreshingly different in that it deals with the woes of a 50 year old woman. She has difficulties with her career, her elderly mother, and despite having family, wants someone special to share her life and embarks on online dating. This book deals with issues in a sympathetic way and is hilarious in parts. The ending was quite unexpected. A very entertaining book.

It was so nice reading a book targeted to a larger age group than just the twenty something troupe. Really enjoyed this fun relatable read. Meet Jen. Flight attendant. Mum to a grown-up daughter. Permanently single. Age: Fifty (gulp) Number of children: One Number of husbands: Zero (it’s complicated) Number of failed first dates in the last month: Too depressing to contemplate Number of tickets for a romantic, once-in-a-lifetime trip: Two Number of days left to find her Mr Right to take on holiday: Quickly running out… A heart-warming and hilarious novel that proves age is just a number and it’s never too late for a second chance. Fans of Kristen Bailey, Sophie Kinsella and Jill Mansell will be totally hooked from the very first page.

I love a Fiona Gibson novel. You always know what you are going to get, a fabulous read, giggles, true to life scenarios! Jen 50 something has only known her life as a flight attendant finds herself redundant, what path can she take now. I absolutely loved this read, fun, humourous and a real pick you up read. Fantastic ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

I love books by Fiona Gibson, having read most of them, and I am pleased to say this new release didn’t disappoint. Meet Jen - a single mum to a grown up daughter who is made redundant from her long serving career as a flight attendant and decides to use the free time to dip her toe into the world of online dating, after some pressure from her daughter. Cue lots of disastrous dates! Will Jen find love? You’ll have to read to find out. This has lots of genuine laugh out loud moments and I gobbled it up in 24 hours. I loved it!

This is the first book I have read from this author and it definitely won’t be the last. I really enjoyed this novel – it was fresh and light and stands out from the standard women’s fiction romances where two main characters meet and fall in love. I like that this is a far more realistic portrayal of modern day dating and relationships where not everything turns out to be perfect in the end. I don’t have experience of online dating/dating apps however that didn’t detract from the storyline and didn’t stop me from enjoying the book and relating to Jen. The characters weren’t cliches or stereotypes and I particularly enjoyed the dynamic between Jen & Rod. I think that the sub-plot with Jen’s mother added a layer of depth/sentiment to the novel. The only criticism is that some parts of the book did move fairly slowly and I felt myself skipping over certain scenes that could have been covered quicker or been omitted entirely. The ending, though unpredictable, did fall a little flat for me.

Thanks Netgalley and the Publisher. I have really liked all this authors books and this was no exception, a real feel good read, great storyline and great characters.

Down to earth Jen has just been made redundant from the job she had for 20 odd years. Encouraged by her daughter to try online dating, she decides to give it a go. We follow Jen as she navigates her way through the ups and downs of the dating world in search of the perfect partner. A fun filled story which was an enjoyable read.

I adored this book! Jen was just the character I was looking for when I decided to try another romcom (which I don't really gravitate towards but I'm trying to branch out a bit)...maybe it's because we're closer in age (though she's older by a couple of years!) but I definitely felt like I connected with her more than I have in some other books with characters in their twenties. Jen's online dating debacles were written well, not overly long but long enough that you got the point of why dating can suck. The writing had me stifling giggles throughout and everything worked out exactly how I had hoped at the end so I was left completely satisfied. I'll be checking out her other books now for sure...

I have loved Fiona GI son’s novels for ages, and this one felt like a treat I needed! The story of a middle aged flight attendant trying and often failing to find love had me entranced! It was heartfelt and real, and I just wanted to keep on reading!

Midlife mayhem, redundancy,empty nest syndrome and an ageing parent, a funny lighthearted look at midlife through the eyes of Jen, a totally relatable read for women of a certain age! It certainly resonated with me! After losing her job as an air stewardess and taking stock of her life Jen is persuaded to try online dating! This opens up a whole new world to Jen often with hilarious results! Supported by her daughter, friends and her daughters dad Jen tries new experiences, gets a new job, forms a closer bond with her mother and generally overhauls her life obtaining a perfect work life balance and finding herself Along the way! A fun fast read that I thoroughly enjoyed! Thank you netgalley for this early read.

Funny, uplifting, true to life, relatable, and cheerful. If you need sheeting up this is yh perfect book for you.

This book spoke to me since I am the same age as the main character. It was a fun read but as she is much braver than me, I won’t be following in her footsteps. Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC Kindle book in exchange for an honest review.

Just brilliant, I love this author and so far, everything she writes. Another great read. Thank you NetGalley for my complimentary copy in return for my honest review.

Absolutly loved this light hearted, easy to read, comical book by fiona. Have read previous books by her and this one did not disappointment. Jen is a 50 year old woman, recently redundant from her long term job as an air hostess. Initially her world is thrown upside down but her daughter Hannah, alongside Jens friends persuade her to dabble in internet dating. Alongside this, she finds herself a new job she loves as a shop assistant, and re establishes a good friendship with Rod, Hannahs father. This book takes us through the mayhem of chatting to, and on occasions, meeting up with men from the dating site, with hilarious outcomes. A brilliant read that takes us through a very modern phenomenon of internet dating. Highly recommend a read.

Such an uplifting and inspirational story! My first to read by this author but cannot wait to read more! The story stays with you long after you finish the book. Highly recommend!

Following the life of Jen, whose currently working her dream job as a flight attendant, single mother to Hannah, until.... Jen is made redundant. Now life for Jen is looking for new employment, whilst trying to find love (and a date for her holiday). Lighthearted read, filled with humour and the reality of life.

Jen is a fifty-something, single mother of an adult daughter, a flight attendant with a budget airline based in Glasgow. When the airline goes bust she's suddenly unemployed, living alone and hasn't had a date in two years. Pushed into joining a dating app by her daughter Hannah and colleagues she finds there are slim pickings for a mature woman, Jen's not necessarily looking for true love, just someone to share a luxury holiday in Greece she won for selling the most airline mascot toys in the period before the voucher expires. Will Jen realise that her daughter's father could be the man for her? Or will it be the suave solicitor with a way with words? Will it be the dentist or the fencing specialist? Or what about the silver fox Jen sees running effortlessly while she's struggling with her Couch to 5K app? It's probably not the guy who stares at her boobs or the reformed thief though ... As with so many of Fiona Gibson's books this took me on a journey I wasn't expecting and the reader really is left guessing until the last minute who Jen falls in love with (with whom Jen falls in love). Funny, yet with serious concerns about ageing parents and being jobless over fifty, quirky and charming. Another winner from one of my new favourite authors. I received a free copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in return for an honest review.

Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and Fiona Gibson for providing me with an ARC of this book. I really enjoyed following Jen as she navigates Online Dating, New Friendships and Family. This was an interesting and engaging read that I enjoyed

A laugh out loud romp of a book about the perils of dating in your fifties. Made me very glad that I’m not ‘out there’ at the moment!! Jen is a recently out of work flight attendant who has realised that she’s not too old to start again. I really enjoyed this light hearted book, perfect for dreary January nights! Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the ARC in exchange for my honest review.

Let’s start this review by saying I really should pay more attention to the blurb. I as sure it would be a book the woman would go into several adventures and then she would meet a man for her to go on a romantic vacation together (the title and the cover made me think this). However, the book is about Jen, a fifty year old woman who lost her job and find herself alone and without a purpose in life. She decides then (after her daughter and her friends telling her to) try online dating. It took me some time to understand I wouldn’t be getting adventures here, but a book of the everyday life of a mature woman. After I did, I enjoyed it. Jen is the highlight in this book (I’m glad, because it’s her book), she is authentic, polite, supportive, a really good friend/daughter/mother. She is a really likable character and I couldn’t wait for her to have her HEA. She does, by the way. I didn’t know who she would end up with, but I was glad with her choice. If you like a clean, sweet and clever romcom, this book is for you.

Another fabulous, warm and witty book from one of my favourite authors. Lots of laugh-out-loud moments, but plenty of depth, and dilemmas that are relatable, especially for women 'of a certain age'. I particularly enjoyed the relationship between former flight attendant Jen and her ex, Rod, and how supportive Jen's daughter was. Fun-filled with a big heart, I loved The Woman Who Took a Chance!

Another hilarious romp from Fiona Gibson. She really does understand the part of the downtrodden woman / wife / mother - and often all three! Her poor heroines all win through in the end, usually discovering something about themselves in the meantime. I have read all her books and enjoyed this one as much as the others!

A funny, uplifting story of a 50 year old woman who goes there? Sign me up! This book will give you the warm and fuzzies at all the right times. Simply put the story is about Jen, a 50 year old flight attendant who is encouraged by her daughter to start online dating when she loses her job. Life doesn't end for this powerful woman! I loved it

The Woman Who took a Chance by Fiona Gibson is a delightful read and made me laugh. I have read other books by Fiona Gibson and her books are always an entertaining read and I am on the lookout for new books she has written. I was thrilled to get an E-copy from NetGalley of her upcoming novel and started reading it right away and was not disappointed. I couldn’t put it down and finished it in two days. Her training as a flight attendant 👩‍✈️ enabled her to any job she tackled on and off the job, even her personal life. This new book is a must read and what a great read for 2022.👏🥳🇨🇦🥰📚Bravo Fiona Gibson👍

An honest to goodness sublime and funny five-star read. This author always manages to bring me smile, they always manage to make me laugh even on my darkest of days. Jen was someone I would love to be in 10 years, her passion for flying shone through, even when she was grounded. Jen’s spirit shone through and her relationships with Hannah, her mum and Rod, all mad me smile, the love she feels for them all is so vastly different, but vastly huge and encompassing. But they aren’t the only great characters in this story, all of the dates are complex people and there are some corkers popping up. But this story is great, everything has its place, and it flows so well. Do not miss this great story if you are after funny, but real.

I like reading the story because I can relate with most of what the character is going through. The part of the story that involves dating, through the internet, makes me uncomfortable because it's the second story about a woman over 50 years old who has a nightmare of a time meeting men from the dating site, it makes me glad I never did it. Some of the dating was funny, but mostly it was scary and it was upsetting that so many of the men were creepy, but Jen does meet the one man she likes and it's kind of cute. The part of the story that was really close to home was how she had to deal with her mother who has dementia it was scary and upsetting because the disease makes you feel unhelpful and worry and I was hoping for some answers but I didn't see anything for me, but in the book it all works out. The most important point to the story is you should do what you want and not let someone talk you into something you don't want to do and no matter what happens you have to go forward. I enjoyed the friendship of Jen and Rob but was a little confused about what happen at the end. I want to thank Avon Books UK, Avon and NetGalley for the advance copy of this down to earth story.

A quick, easy uplifting andd fun read that I finished in one sitting. I loved the writing, I loved the characters and I loved the storyline. A really enjoyable read.

Fiona Gibson never lets us down. Feel good fiction that puts a smile on your face! Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for letting me access an advance copy of this book in exchange for my feedback.