PLAYING DOCTOR; Part Two

RESIDENCY (blundering along with imposter syndrome)

Pub Date 27 Dec 2021 | Archive Date 18 Jan 2022

Talking about this book? Use #PLAYINGDOCTORPartTwo #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Playing Doctor: Part Two: Residency is a medical memoir full of laugh-out-loud tales, born from chaotic, disjointed, and frightening nights on hospital wards during John Lawrence’s medical training and time as a junior doctor.

This candid autobiography will demystify medical education and inspire you. Equal parts heartfelt, self-deprecating humor, and irreverent storytelling, John takes us along for the ride as he tracks his transformation from uncertain, head injured, liberal-arts student to intern, resident and then medical doctor.

Advance Praise

"I stayed up far too late, often crying with laughter, reading about the medical mishaps and blunders that are almost always kept under wraps--for good reason! John deftly, and with humor, reminds us that laughing at our absurd reality is human, healthy, and exactly what the doctor ordered." --Lauren Weisberger, #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Devil Wears Prada and When Life Gives You LuLulemons

Another very good read-looking forward to the next in the series. I've read the author's first book in the series. Starting this and glancing through the chapter titles, it looked like a great read, with plenty of variety-he's going to be working in lots of different medical specialties eg Obstetrics, Opthalmology, Family Practice, General Surgery, Radiology, Rural Medicine etc. This follows on from Book 1, where he's just graduated from medical school. Now he's qualified, he needs to get the experiences as a doctor, through residency. This book covers that; residency in a variety of medical fields. This was a very good, easy read, and I finished it in just a couple of days. Witty, poking a bit of fun at himself, a nice style. Good comedy- without being overdone or rude. Glad to see there are more books to come, and I will be reading them.

I blitzed through this book over the weekend as I just could not get enough. Light and witty I enjoyed every second. Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Thank you #Netgalley for the advanced copy! I had read Playing Doctor Part 1 and was excited to get an early copy of part 2. I love John's perspective and his honesty as he describes his experiences during residency. It is so interesting to learn about the different rotations, especially the hours and how they are treated. I don't know how these doctors survive on so little sleep! I love that John shares the highs and lows and how he got by during the difficult months. The variety of what they learn seems so overwhelming. I appreciate that he puts in the personal stories, from the difficult OB cases to the comatose patients in the ICU. Family practice touches so many patient populations. Can't wait for the next installment!

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing this book in exchange for an honest review. I enjoyed Medical School, which was part one so I was excited to continue with part two. The author's sense of humor and self deprecating humor make this a fun book to read. He really tells the Residency experience well, as he did in Medical School. It's amazing what these doctors in training have to go through and a wonder that so many people accomplish the whole process without giving up entirely. I'm looking forward to Part Three!

A fun, uncomplicated memoir of the doctor's memories of residency. I didn't read his first book, but don't think it should impact much on this story. Amidst the funny stories are also stories that make one pause to consider. Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for allowing me to read this book

I loved this book. Many of the anecdotes are humorous and a couple are laugh-out-loud funny. The pacing is great and once I started the book, I couldn’t put it down. The book is a great stand-alone, as I hadn’t read the first book of the series, but I don’t feel that I lost any enjoyment of the second book because of it. I loved the use of sarcasm and humor, not because it was funny, but because I found it an excellent way of better understanding Dr. Lawrence. I also found the book highly informative. Indeed, based on the book, I would trust Dr. Lawrence with my life and would love to have coffee or beer with him. I look forward to reading about more of Dr. Lawrence’s adventures. Thank you to Netgalley and BooksGoSocial for the advance reader copy.