Midnight in Everwood

Pub Date 25 Jan 2022 | Archive Date 15 Feb 2022

Talking about this book? Use #MidnightinEverwood #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

In the darkness of night, magic awaits…

The Nutcracker for adults, perfect for fans of Robert Dinsdale’s The Toymakers, Erin Morgenstern’s The Night Circus and Stephanie Garber’s Caraval

’It was a rainy day that the magic came, and once magic has entered your life, you stay in its glittering clutch forever’

Nottingham, 1906

Marietta Stelle longs to be a ballerina but as Christmas draws nearer, her dancing days are numbered. At the wishes of her family, she will be obligated to marry and take up her place in society in the New Year. But when a mysterious toymaker, Dr Drosselmeier, purchases a neighbouring townhouse, it heralds the arrival of magic and wonder in her life. Although Drosselmeier’s magic is darker than Marietta could have imagined…

When he constructs an elaborate theatrical set for her final ballet performance, Marietta discovers it carries a magic all of its own. As the clock chimes midnight, Marietta finds herself walking through a land of snow-topped fir trees leading to a frozen sugar palace silent with secrets and must find a way to return home.

In the darkness of night, magic awaits and you will never forget what you find here…

In the darkness of night, magic awaits…

EDITION Hardcover

I loved this Nutcracker inspire novel from M.A. Kuznier. The characters were rich and the use of the Nutcracker as inspiration makes it a great holiday read. I always try and find something to read around the holidays and this one definitely fits the bill. It's magical and a great read!

An Edwardian ballet dancer has to give up her dreams when a new and mysterious neighbor proposes marriage, delighting her parents. However, the man isn't what he seems and her steadfast refusal to his charms finds her transported to an alternate world where winter reigns and magic delights. Once there, she must find her way through the wicked king, his lavish balls and an admiring captain to help herself and other women escape back to their own worlds. This was very lyrical, the prose was very fitting with the winter wonderland setting and I liked the focus on the women working together to escape!

Such a beautiful, thought-provoking read. A perfect blend of the story we know with new, lush elements that keep the pages turning.

this is such an amazing christmas read!! it's perfect for the holidays and this time of year! i loved every second of this and it was just so cute and precious and you should definitely read it immediately!!

The Nutcracker is one of my favorite things about the holiday season, and when I chanced upon a retelling for adults I knew I had to read it. This delectable, romantic, hopeful, and tragic story made my heart soar to the highest heights and smile through tears. It was absolutely beautiful and magical, and I am too afraid to give anything away to say much about the plot. Let’s just say a tenacious Edwardian woman is swept away into a world not her own, rife with magic and danger that she must navigate to return home as well as potential romance.

Whimsical and wintry. Perfect for this time of year. Marietta dreams of being a ballerina. While her parents indulge her by letting her take ballet lessons, they would never allow her to actually become a ballerina. It would mar the family name. She is to marry for for wealth and status. That is her duty. When she first meets Dr. Drosselmeier, she is fascinated by his inventions. They are magical. Until she realizes his magic is of the dark sort. This is a magical retelling of the Nutcracker. I really enjoyed the characters. Especially the friendships.

This book is gorgeous. I just can’t get over how pretty the cover is. I enjoyed reading this one. Some of my favorite books are retellings so I was super excited for it!

Thank you to Harper 360 and NetGalley for the ARC. I was intrigued by the concept of this work and was so pleasantly surprised by the execution. I enjoyed the world that was built and the emphasis on sisterhood and the bonds with people that make you stronger. The world was atmospheric and well described. It was a book that had a solid ending but I would have kept reading if it was longer. Great work!

Once I started this book I couldn’t put it down! I have always loved the story of the Nutcracker so I was so excited for a retelling of it! This book was whimsical and fun and kept me turning pages until 2 am! I’ve already ordered a hard copy for my physical shelf because I loved it so much!

The ideal atmospheric winter read. "Midnight in Everwood" is a fresh take on E.T.A. Hoffman's traditional nutcracker story. What impressed me the most was the revision of the Marie (now Marietta) as our main heroine - instead of being a delicate, love-struck girl, Marietta is now an up-and-coming ballet dancer determined never to marry and lose her independence. This is a must-read for anyone who has ever desired a feminist take on this traditional Christmas story.

I was completely captivated by this Nutcracker retelling! Richly detailed with complex characters, this dark, sugar crusted, magical tale will enchant you. I especially enjoyed reading this book at Christmas time and will enjoy rereading it next year. Thank you to NetGalley and Harper 360 for access to this arc.