Long Story Short

A Novel

Pub Date 26 Jul 2022 | Archive Date 09 Aug 2022
St. Martin's Press, Wednesday Books

“Like the best of the Bard himself, Long Story Short combines dazzling repartee with iconic, nuanced characters and the kind of charged, perfectly paced romance fit for the world stage.” —Emily Wibberley and Austin Siegemund-Broka, authors of Always Never Yours

Growing up homeschooled in Berkeley, California, Beatrice Quinn is a statistical genius who has dreamed her whole life of discovering new mathematical challenges at a school like Oxford University. She always thought the hardest part would be getting in, not convincing her parents to let her go. But while math has always made sense to Beatrice, making friends is a problem she hasn’t been able to solve, so her parents are worried about sending her halfway across the world. The compromise: the Connecticut Shakespearean Summer Academy and a detailed list of teenage milestones to check off. She has six weeks to show her parents she can pull off the role of "normal" teenager and won't spend the rest of her life hiding in a library.

Unfortunately, hearts and hormones don't follow any rules, and there is no equation for teenage interactions. When she's adopted by a group of eclectic theater kids, and immediately makes an enemy of the popular—and, annoyingly gorgeous—British son of the camp founders, she realizes that relationships are trickier than calculus. With her future on the line, this girl genius stumbles through illicit parties, double dog dares, and more than your fair share of Shakespeare. But before the final curtain falls, will Beatrice realize that there’s more to life than she can find in the pages of a book?

In this sparkling debut from Serena Kaylor, Long Story Short is a YA rom-com about a homeschooled math genius who finds herself out of her element at a theater summer camp and learns that life—and love—can’t be lived by the (text)book.

This was a delightful read! The relationship between Beatrice and Nik played out nicely over the course of the book and the addition of the supporting characters added to the story. I felt like the end of the book wrapped together nicely but did leave me hoping for a sequel to hear more! I really enjoyed this story and the main character’s growth and development over her summer at camp, and I’m already looking forward to the next Serena Kaylor story. ARC was provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed this book. The writing was spectacular and Bea was such a relatable character. I really loved the other campers and the location of the camp. Mia was especially a wonderful character and I loved her friendship with Bea. This book has everything from romance to friendship to character development and a ton of Shakespeare. This is definitely a YA book you’ll wanna keep on your radar.

Long Story Short by Serena Kaylor is a lovely young adult romance that is sure to pull at your heartstrings and leave you wanting more.

This is one of those books that makes you feel so nostalgic about being 16, summer memories, and going away to camp (before remembering you never actually went to summer camp!). Serena Kaylor's Long Story Short was one of the most wholesome, feel-good books I read all year. It's not easy to make every character in a book likable, but the author pulled it off. From our protagonist Bea with her endearing overthinking brain to Mia and Nolan, who are just the absolute best friends ever to Nik, the love interest, whose journey with Bea was quite the ride. I wasn't a theater kid, but I still had such a fun time reading this one. I imagine actual theater kids and Shakespeare fans will adore it. If you're in need of a good summer read, pick this book up! And psst Netflix, we're gonna need a movie adaptation of this one.

I really enjoyed Long Story Short. There's nothing like familiar tropes with interesting spins on them. I loved the premise, the main character was the right balance of flawed but looking to grow, and going with her on her journey was really entertaining. The supporting characters and friendships added some whimsy and enjoyment to the overall experience. It was equal parts nerdy but romantic, a pairing that is always timeless to me. I'd recommend this book wholeheartedly for a feel good read.

This book. I cannot even tell you how much I loved it. I stayed up until 1:40 reading and then got up early to finish it. The setting! If you love Emma Lord and camp books, this is for you. Throw in a Shakespeare theatre camp and it was perfection. I love when romance books have more to their story and this one definitely did. The found family and friendships formed throughout this book made my heart so happy. The anxiety representation was fantastic. It was authentic and real. However, it wasn’t super heavy. I loved how much Bea grew and how amazing her friends were. Then there was the romance. Holy wow I adored it. It was enemies-to-lovers, but also some miscommunication with a side of missed signals. The banter was perfection and the Shakespeare battle? Couldn’t get enough. In one word, SWOONY. Preorder this book, add it to your list, and do all the things because you won’t want to miss it. I am a new Serena Kaylor fan! ★★★★★/5 🔥🔥/5 (make out) Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CWTJlcFLSk6/ Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/4339423277 BookBub: https://www.bookbub.com/reviews/1930981422?source=link_share

I love this book with my whole heart! I had the pleasure of reading an early draft back in 2018 (!!) and reading the most updated version this week had me falling in love with these chaotic theatre children all over again. I'm so excited for this to be out in the world! Serena is such a master of character and romance. I root for these characters every step of the way, from awkward auditions to opening night. Nik and Bea are the kind of slow burn YA romance I wish I could bottle up for cold days. They're prickly with each other, yes, but when it comes down to it, their relationship is build off mutual respect and trust. This is the kind of romcom my theatre kid self would have adored in high school and I can't wait for everyone to fall in love with this book.

Nothing beats a smart and witty main character. Beatrice rocks all the boxes we want in our heroines. Long story short really bright me back to my teen years in a waxing nostalgia way.

I loved this book so much! Bea is such a complicated and relatable character. I love her friendship with Mia and Nolan, and her teen angst over Nik's mixed signals is just *chef's kiss* YA perfection. The Shakespeare camp element is a charming backdrop and the quote battles between Bea and Nik had me swooning. This is a quintessential YA story and I enjoyed every minute. Such a fantastic debut. Definitely add this to your TBR! Thank you to Netgalley, Wednesday, and the author for the eARC in exchange for my review.

This was a bright, fun, refreshing read that would be perfect for the summer months! I really enjoyed the character development and the relationship growth over the course of the book and thought the writing was excellent!

To say I enjoyed this book is an understatement. From the beginning I knew I liked Bea. She's smart, blunt, and puts her ambitions first ALWAYS. Her parents forced her to go to summer camp to see if she can be a normal kid for once in her life instead of an academic scholar 24/7 and her character development during it was DELIGHTFUL. Serena Kaylor wrote Bea so well. Her attitude and anti-socialness doesn't come off as too negative and is the perfect amount of sass. I really enjoyed the supporting characters who had SO much life and helped Bea so much. Really looking forward to new books from Serena Kaylor!

I really enjoyed this book! I loved to see the subtle development in Bea’s character and the blossoming emotions and experiences she’s had. Each character was wonderfully detailed and left me loving them all! The development between Bea and Nik left me in anticipation throughout the entire book, wondering what was going to happen between them next, and i was pleasantly satisfied with the ending, but of course, this book left me wanting more of Bea and Nik! I loved the game between Nik and Bea, and loved even more the way the author emphasizes that friendships aren’t always built on agreements and support, sometimes it has to be built on support, honesty, and sometimes arguing, something th author highlights perfectly. Cannot wait to have a physical copy of this eventually!!

The synopsis for this book sounded too good to be true. I mean, a YA enemies-to-lovers romance that takes place at a Shakespearean summer camp? I had an inner feeling that it would fall short somewhere, because I had a hard time imagining a book that could be that good. Here’s the good news—the book exists, and it is as great as it sounds, if not better. Long Story Short is about Beatrice Quinn, a homeschooled recluse who spends more time with books than in the outside world. She possesses a photographic memory, which caused her to be accepted to Oxford University at the young age of 16. The only issue is that her parents don’t think she’ll be able to handle the pressures that come with moving to another country, which is why they designed the perfect plan—sending her to a Shakespearan summer camp. From the beginning, the protagonist immediately established herself as a strong-willed, intelligent woman. It’s clear that she has personality, and her narration is both sarcastic and quick-witted. All of the characters, in fact, were incredibly witty, putting the ‘rom’ in ‘romcom’. The banter and dialogue shared between every character was also impeccable, and it was a delight to read it. The protagonist also has extraordinary character development. Over the course of the book, she learns to step outside of her comfort zone and not shy away from things that typically scare her. There was so much romantic tension between the protagonist and her love interest, and I could feel it radiating off the pages. I don’t often physically react to romance books, but the relationship between Beatrice and Nik had me kicking at the floor. The setting of the book worked so well for the story. The many difficult steps that came with putting on a play only amplified the plot, and the bonds shared between campers were so familial and sweet. It made me wish that I had a relationship like the ones Beatrice had—both the romantic, and the platonic ones. I cannot say enough good things about this book, but what I can say is that it blew away my expectations in every way possible. It may have even increased my standard for YA romances, which is not something I expected when going into the book. If you find the synopsis intriguing in any way, I highly recommend it. This book will not disappoint.

I loved this novel, cover to cover! What a great read!! 💚 As a HUGE lover of all things Shakespeare, I absolutely loved reading the lines from the plays as the characters rehearsed and through their "games". All I kept thinking was how much I wished my parents would have sent me to Shakespeare camp when I was that age. 💙 I also love the characters in this novel. Our protagonist is beautifully crafted and developed, as are each of her friends she meets along the way. 💜 I highly recommend this one!

I can’t remember the last time I was able to—or made time to—finish a book in one day. I couldn’t put this one down. There was something about Bea that was so adorably disarming, and Nik was a heartstopper from the jump. The ending was just *mwah* chef’s kiss! Let’s back up to the writing: I’m not going to say one of those, “Oh my gosh—I can’t believe this is a debut!” sort of comments. (And can we normalize not expecting debuts to be subpar, please? At least for a budding and hopeful author like me?) But, I will say, the author’s ability to make tangible the insecurities and observations and feelings of our beloved MC was seemingly the work of a seasoned author. There was so much imagery and so much humor—I LOLed through this entire book. I loved it. I loved Mia and Nolan, and eventually, I loved Shelby. But mostly I loved the lesson this book teaches that sometimes, it’s ok to go a little off book or to admit that you don’t have everything fully figured out yet. I’m looking forward to more from this author.

Long Story Short by Serena Kaylor was an absolute joy to read. The secondary characters were so confident and excited to be experiencing life in a place where their passion was centered. It made quite a contrast to our protagonist, Bea, who definitely had some social and anxiety issues to work through. I loved all the characters, except maybe for the twin sister who took out her frustration on the person least able to deal with her. I would definitely recommend this book to all my students, but especially those who struggle with social situations and like to hide behind constant familiarity. The anxiety was so authentic, I just wanted to hug the little protagonist and give her courage to keep moving forward, even when it was so difficult.

Rating: 4.5 stars Wow! When I read the blurb, I was immediately interested in this book. I mean it had a theatre camp, a list to complete and Shakespeare! But I didn’t expect to fall so completely in love with this novel. Our protagonist, Bea, was great lead! She was so snarky and had such a dry sense of humour. She made me laugh so much throughout the story. It was also beautiful to watch her grow and learn to step out of her comfort and try new things. The friends she made at camp were equally amazing. Mia and Nolan were the friends that Bea needed and I loved how they supported and loved her no matter what. They knew when to push her and when they needed to let her come to a decision on her own. Their friendship was wonderfully written! Now, let’s talk about Nik. I don’t even know where to start. The banter between him and Bea was everything I wanted. I couldn’t stop smiling whenever the two would get lost in their own world and start going back and forth with each other. The lake scene was one of my favourites. And the Shakespeare-off😭I loved that so much! Overall, I just had so much fun with this book. It had everything you could want in a YA novel: young love, humour and adventure. This would be a perfect read for the summer🥰 (A review will be posted on my bookstagram closer to the release date🤗)

Long Story Short; Serena Kaylor 5/5 stars Where do I even start? This book was fantastic. I mean, debut YA authors are really upping their game. Did I already mention I adored this book? Well, let me say it again: WOW. I couldn't take a breath.  It took a few chapters for our main character, Bea, to meet her love interest, Nik, but it was well worth the wait. I was gasping for air as a result of their banter and tension. Normally, in enemies to lovers, the boy always has a snarky remark and the girl almost never has a retort, but Miss Beatrice Quinn was so sharp, sarcastic, and feisty... It was fantastic. Bea is a one-of-a-kind character considering that I've never read about a shy, brainiac who is so sarcastic. She made me laugh out loud every time, and her views were always incredibly realistic for a 17-year-old girl establishing new acquaintances and having a crush.  Nik was everything. He was caustic and, in Nolan's words, "Hot." The chemistry and tension between him and Bea...UNREAL. Of course, I couldn't leave out Mia and Nolan. I can't convey how much I adored them. Their bond with Bea was pure and completely lovely. It was amazing. Everything about this book was 5 stars, from the environment to the people to the romance to the Shakespeare offs. I wish it never ended.

This is the story about an intelligent, socially challenged, funny, snarky girl and how, with the help of new friends, she steps out of her comfort zone to try new experiences and redefines herself while still keeping true to who she is at her core. I really enjoyed this fun and witty story. The novel is dialogue heavy (which I like) and very funny. I smiled and laughed through most of it. When I wasn’t smiling I was stressed out. You could really feel Bea’s emotions. From the very beginning, I fell in love with Beatrice. She just has a way of pulling you in. And the chemistry between her and her two new best friends is wonderful. This is a very quick read as it is hard to put down. I would read more by this author. I would recommend this book to Shakespeare fans, theater geeks, and to people who enjoy YA romance or coming-of-age novels. Thank you Net Galley and Wednesday Books for this digital arc in exchange for my honest review which is not affiliated with any brand. #NetGalley #LongStoryShort