The Many Half-Lived Lives of Sam Sylvester

Pub Date 03 May 2022 | Archive Date 01 Apr 2022
Astra Publishing House, Astra Young Readers

Talking about this book? Use #TheManyHalfLivedLivesofSamSylvester #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

In this queer contemporary YA mystery, a nonbinary teen with autism realizes they must not only solve a 30-year-old mystery but also face the demons lurking in their past in order to live a satisfying life.

Sam Sylvester has long collected stories of half-lived lives—of kids who died before they turned nineteen. Sam was almost one of those kids. Now, as Sam’s own nineteenth birthday approaches, their recent near-death experience haunts them. They’re certain they don’t have much time left. . . .

Yet Sam's life seems to be on the upswing after meeting several new friends and a potential love interest in Shep, their next-door neighbor. Yet the past keeps roaring back—in Sam’s memories and in the form of a thirty-year-old suspicious death that took place in Sam’s new home. Sam can’t resist trying to find out more about the kid who died and who now seems to guide their investigation. When Sam starts receiving threatening notes, they know they’re on the path to uncovering a murderer. But are they also approaching their own end?

The Many Half-Lived Lives of Sam Sylvester explores healing in the aftermath of trauma and the joy in living a full life.

PRICE CA$23.99 (CAD)

Send To Kindle (PDF)

Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for sending me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. What drew me to picking this book up was the fantastic representation of the MC being queer, non-binary and autistic along with the added element of a murder mystery. I adored the relationship between Sam and his adopted, single father, Junius who share a beautiful, loving and compassionate bond. Junius is such a strong character who stands by Sam through and through and was a clear winner for me in this story. When Sam moves to his new school he meets Shep who tells him that the house they have relocated to witnessed a death 30 years ago. Shep is insistent that it was infact a murder not a natural death and this leads to Sam and Shep going on a thrilling mission to uncover the truth. At times I felt the plot was a little dragged and the target audience, younger than me, but overall this is an enjoyable read with plenty queer representation and characters who you will fall in love with! I truly believe this would be a fantastic book for many young adult readers out there who would connect with Sam and his exploration of self, in a heartbeat.