How Dogs Work

A Head-to-Tail Guide to Your Canine

Pub Date 02 Nov 2021 | Archive Date 07 Dec 2021

Talking about this book? Use #HowDogsWork #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

The unique dog encyclopedia explores and explains the world of dogs:

• The dog in pictures — with more than 500 original illustrations
   • Encyclopedic in scope — covers dog behavior, psychology, communication, history and dog breeds, as well as celebrity pups and record-breaking hounds.
   • Dog infographics that communicate facts and ideas in a fun way.
   • Witty language that will both inform and entertain readers.

Do you walk your dog or does your dog walk you? Can you teach an old dog new tricks? What is your dog saying with its wagging tail? The fun infographics book gives you all the essential facts about dogs to help you translate their curious canine behavior. Covering history, breeds, dog care and training, How Dogs Work is the perfect gift for dog lovers of all ages — from 9 to 109!

When your dog looks at you with those big, expressive puppy-dog eyes, do...

EDITION Hardcover

How Dogs Work by Daniel Tatarsky and David Humphries is a delightful book that, for the most part, delivers useful information in a humorous and lighthearted manner. My biggest issue is more about my preferences than something done poorly in the book. I found the parts that had to do with understanding and interacting with your dog the most interesting. They offered simple rules and guidelines with adorable drawings. I could have done with less about the breeds, or at least the breed groupings. Which brings me to what just did not appeal to me, the overemphasis on purebred dogs. Yes, choosing the breed(s) of your dog is important based on your lifestyle and other factors. But how many winners of various dog shows were of what breed do not matter to me at all, in either my choice of a dog or in my interactions with my dogs. The groupings and their general characteristics could have taken considerably less room and been replaced with more information actually useful for dog owners. Yes, I am one of those who get my dogs from shelters or friends who have an unexpected litter, so the emphasis on purebred dogs rubbed me the wrong way. Like I said at the start, this is my personal preference. The parts I could have done without were done every bit as well as the rest of the book, so those into inbreeding can rest assured that it is all done well. While I would recommend this to many people this is also one I would not give as a gift. It is a fun book and does offer helpful hints, but if I am giving to a new owner I would find one that is more geared toward that end and if I am giving to someone who just wants to better understand their dogs, I would find one geared more toward that. Reviewed from a copy made available by the publisher via NetGalley.

This was a colorful and delightful book with tons of dog information in it - my kids read it with me and loved it!

This was sooo cute and informative!! Great for any dog lover to learn more about their pooches. Bright and colorful illustrations too.

Thank you to @netgalley @dkbooks for the digital ARC in return for my honest review. . My thoughts… If you 🧡 dogs, get this! I really enjoyed this book, and I don’t know what else to add to this description…”From nose to tail and everything in between — this is your definitive visual guide to understanding your four-legged friend! When your dog looks at you with those big, expressive puppy-dog eyes, do you ever wonder what’s going on in their fur-covered heads? This dog book for adults will help you gain invaluable canine insight through quirky illustrations and infographics.  From how dogs evolved from the wolf and our favorite pet to the finer points of working dogs and show dogs — this unique dog guide is a wonderful celebration of man’s best friend! Learn what experts believe the cute doggy head tilt could mean, explore what your dog’s wagging tail could be saying about their mood and discover the world’s fastest dog that’s twice as quick as Usain Bolt. This a must-have book for every soon-to-be dog whisperer!” . 🐾This was such a fun and informative non fiction book for me. I’m going to get myself a physical copy!🐾

As a dog lover I found this book to be full of interesting information and insight into man’s best friend. The content was well organized and easy to understand— a book that any dog lover would appreciate.

Absolutely adorable! With the holidays coming up, I think this would be the perfect gift for the dog lover in your life. I absolutely love dogs, and this book made me smile many times. I quite enjoyed all the illustrations and the brief explanations. It made it easier to read through and I was still able to learn things I didn’t know before. I think this type of formatting really worked for the information being relayed. This book outlines facts about the life of a dog in general as well as taking deeper dives into a variety of breed types. I quite enjoyed this book for a lighter read!