10 at 10

The Surprising Childhoods of Ten Remarkable People

Pub Date 05 Apr 2022 | Archive Date 28 Feb 2022
Lerner Publishing Group, Carolrhoda Books ®

Talking about this book? Use #10at10 #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Sorry friends: e-Galley not yet available for Kindle download.

Audrey Hepburn, Roberto Clemente, Albert Einstein—kids know the names, but do they know what some of history's most famous figures were like at the age of ten? Carlyn Beccia presents ten brief and beautifully illustrated biographies to give young readers a fresh look at the lives of people they may only know through history books. Colorful timelines provide context and add additional details about these extraordinary lives.

Sorry friends: e-Galley not yet available for Kindle download.

EDITION Hardcover

As a mom and a teacher, I always look for books that contain good role models, themes, and life lessons. I found that in the book 10 at 10. What I loved about this book was that it not only provided information about individuals that children may already know from school, but it also let them look into their childhoods. If I was a ten year old, I would love to know more about Bruce Lee at ten and how he became the person he is today. Knowing about these individuals at kids make them more relatable to our children and help them make connections to what those individuals endured. What I also loved was that the ten individuals chosen for the book represent a diverse group of cultures, professions, and life experiences. The illustrations in this book were beautiful and while I sometimes find children's nonfiction visually overwhelming to look at, the layout of this book did not distract from the reader. I will look for this book in bookstores on April 5, 2022. Thank you NetGalley for my advanced copy!

10 at 10 is a collection of short biographies focusing on some accomplished historical figures and what they were doing at the age of 10. The goal of the book is to show that the potential of these famous people was not yet obvious at 10, so kids shouldn't worry about their future. This is a great age to have tailored this book towards as most 10-year-olds will be transitioning from elementary to middle school in the near future and are experiencing a lot of anxiety and uncertainty about their future.

Pros: The cover of this book immediately caught my eye on NetGalley. I was encouraged by the illustrations that this book would feature a diverse group of subjects. When I read children’s books, I study the illustrations to see if any child reading the book could see himself/herself/themself in the illustrations, and I think this book is very inclusive. Not only were the people diverse, their areas of fame were diverse, including scientists, athletes, and artists. I also loved that this book focused on the childhoods of these incredible subjects (who were not child prodigies!) before they became famous in their fields because it might inspire children reading the books to try new things, have big dreams, and practice perseverance. For the same reason, one of my favorite aspects of this book was the use of timelines to show when big events happened in the subjects’ lives. I am often drawn to children’s nonfiction books because I think adults can learn from these books just as much as children can, and they always inspire me to perform my own research. I had not heard of Zitkala-Sa, Eugenie Clark, and Raven Wilkinson before reading this book and loved learning their stories. I also learned new things about historical figures I thought I knew a lot about, including Frida Kahlo and Audrey Hepburn. Cons: The only con I can think of is that 10 was not enough! I hope to see this book become the first in a series. Thank you to NetGalley and Lerner Publishing Group, Carolrhoda Books for the opportunity to read this book.

Easy-to approach mini biographies of 10 famous personalities from recent history provide inspiration for budding tweens in this colorful compilation. Images draw the reader in without seeming to elementary. Glossary at the end of the book helps explain new terms in simple language. Source notes and selected bibliography at the back of the book provide further reading for families. A great non-fiction addition to any child's personal library or reading list.