Freaks

Narrated by P.J. Morgan
Pub Date 01 Mar 2022 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #Freaks #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Hunted by monsters. Wanted for questioning. Late for class.

Four high-school friends suffer daily humiliation at the hands of three bullies. When the friends accidentally open a portal to another dimension, they unintentionally allow terrifying, other-worldly creatures to invade their small Arkansas town. Discovering that they are now endowed with strange superpowers, the four teens dub themselves “Freaks,” the very name their tormentors used to ridicule them. The Freaks must fight to save the lives of family and friends now in mortal peril and thwart a secret government task force that appears to be hunting them.

Hunted by monsters. Wanted for questioning. Late for class.

Advance Praise

“A great spin on the superhero story, told with genuine depth.”—Mark Waid, best-selling author of History of the Marvel Universe, Doctor Strange, and Superman Birthright.

“A fun and fresh twist on the superhero story! Fast-paced, strong characters, and twists and turns make this a must read!”—Jennifer Brody/Vera Strange, author of The 13th Continuum Trilogy, Spectre Deep 6, and the Disney Chills series.

“Adult fans of superheroes and fantasy books don’t miss out, you are going to enjoy this book as well. I couldn’t put the book down and can’t wait for the next in the series.”—Peter Thornburn, UK educator,

“With Freaks, Brett Riley has accomplished something very few YA authors have: freakishly good writing, freakishly relatable characters, freakishly awesome premise — all making for a freakishly great read.”—M. P. Kozlowsky, author of Frost and Rose Coffin

“Freaks is propulsive and brilliantly written, with compelling characters and plenty of action. Brett Riley knows how to keep the reader’s attention.”—Scott Bergstrom, author of The Cruelty and The Greed.

“A fun and fresh twist on...

EDITION Audiobook, Unabridged
ISBN 9781945501555
DURATION 7 Hours, 57 Minutes, 50 Seconds

NetGalley Shelf App (AUDIO)

Not gonna lie, was very apprehensive when I first looked at this book. I thought it was gonna have a lot of plot holes and just kind of jump from place to place, but boy was I wrong! The different perspectives given in this book really helped me understand the plot and I think it overall enhanced the story so much more. I thought the end was a bit drawn out, but regardless I was on the edge of my seat in anticipation until the last minute. I also loved the complexity of the characters. At first I had some pretty stubborn views on each of the characters, but throughout the story those views developed and it was a lovely example of how people, much like most things in life, are never black and white, but there's a lot of grey that we have yet to be exposed to!

Freaks is a book that portrays a group of "nerdy" kids that open a portal that allows otherworldly creatures into their community. It has all the elements of a real page-turner, but somehow misses the mark in a few places. I agree with some other reviewers that the bullying is both graphically portrayed and a little dated. I can't imagine schools tolerating this type of bullying in the 2020s, but there definitely have been times when it would have. Setting the story in one of those times would have had a greater effect, I think, even in other aspects of the book: Videos are being uploaded from school to the Internet to shame these kids, but literally none of the adults whipped out a cell phone and started recording when things got weird? No home security footage to review? Okay... I guess? There's a whole government agency (or at least sub department) dedicated to the supernatural in this book, but the agents are wildly incompetent and unprepared, too. I'll probably listen to the second book, the story was entertaining, and the reader was pretty excellent. However, I'm hoping that there is some shift that's made here - all of the grownups are awful. I understand that, at the end of the day, the "superheroes" will be the ones to fight the creatures and save the day, but the current trajectory is doomed. Thank you to NetGalley and Imbrifex Audio for the audiobook ARC in exchange for my honest review.