An Island at War

Pub Date 29 Mar 2022 | Archive Date 19 Apr 2022
Harper 360, One More Chapter

Talking about this book? Use #AnIslandatWar #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

A moving historical novel inspired by the German occupation of the Channel Islands during WW2. This is a story of courage, resilience and everyday acts of defiance from ordinary people forced to live in an extraordinary time.

June 1940

While her little sister Rosie is sent to the UK to keep her safe from the invading German army, Estelle Le Maistre is left behind on Jersey to help her grandmother run the family farm. When the Germans occupy the island, everything changes and Estelle and the islanders must face the reality of life under Nazi rule.

Interspersed with diary entries from Rosie back on the mainland, the novel is also inspired by real life stories from the author’s own family who were both on the island during the occupation and in London during the Blitz and is a true testament to the courage and bravery of the islanders.

Readers are loving An Island at War:

‘A ‘mesmerizing’ story of a island captured by the Nazi's in World War II’ Debbie

I fell head over heels in love with this book…It brings to light strong female characters, who have bravery and courage to stand up for themselves and for what is right’ Jenny

‘I loved getting to know the characters and truly experiencing their rather unique predicament…a fascinating read to those who enjoy WWII fiction’ Denise

‘Absorbing and full of emotion, compassion and wisdom’ Joan

‘Very well written and a great curl up with a cuppa and get lost in the story kind of book’ Gill

Will pull at your heartstrings…beautifully written’ Louise

‘The story was much more meaningful knowing it was written by someone that was from the island…I enjoyed reading about the beautiful island and the community that stuck together to help each other’ Shirley

‘It ticked the boxes of love, family, strength, and character and I would recommend it for others looking for an engaging historical fiction read’ Stacey

‘An emotional story of how life changed for the residents of Jersey during the German occupation’ Ethel

EDITION Paperback

Send to Kindle (MOBI)

A very well written novel restarting the struggles of a family during the occupation of their country during WW2. The story and characters are well done. The story is interesting and well paced and will hold your interest. A great book.

Thank you to #NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for my honest review.

I have only read one other Historical Fiction book about the occupation of the Channel Islands during WWII, so An Island at War by Deborah Carr intrigued me. This story spans the 5 years of the occupation on Jersey told through the main character, Estelle's point of view with a few journal entries from her sister Rosie's point of view. I loved the way that the author portrayed the characters in her novel, and based some of them loosely on her own family members that lived through the Occupation and the Blitz. She showed some of the evil atrocities committed during this time ( not discriptively ), but also showed the human side of some of the German soldiers. My only complaint is that it seemed to end a bit abruptly. I would have loved to have read an epilogue to see where the characters ended up, but at the same time know that war stories don't always wrap up in a neat little bow. This is the first book of Deborah Carr's that I have read, and I look forward to reading more of her work.

Thank you NetGalley and One More Chapter for the opportunity to read this e-ARC. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

A basic hstorical fiction novel told through the points of view of 2 sisters. One is send to England for her safety and one stays back on the Channel Islands (Jersey) during the 5 year period of WW II. Nazi occupation of the island. Very well written and descriptive.

This book was a new perspective on a heart wrenching topic. It is a wonderful and captivating read. The book dealt with very serious topics but did not make the story to dark.