A Hundred Other Girls

A Novel

Pub Date 26 Jul 2022 | Archive Date 14 Aug 2022
SOURCEBOOKS Landmark, Sourcebooks Landmark

Talking about this book? Use #ahundredothergirls #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

For fans of The Devil Wears Prada and The Bold Type comes a smart, modern story about the shifting media landscape and one Middle Eastern-American writer finding her place in it.

How far would you go to keep the job a hundred other girls are ready to take?

Noora's life is a little off track. She's an aspiring writer and amateur blogger in New York—which is a nice way of saying that she tutors rich Upper East Side kids and is currently crashing on her sister's couch. But that's okay. Noora has Leila, who has always been her rock, and now she has another major influence to lean on: Vinyl magazine. The pages of Vinyl practically raised Noora, teaching her everything from how to properly insert a tampon to which political ideology she subscribes to.

So when she lands a highly coveted job as assistant to Loretta James, Vinyl's iconic editor-in-chief, Noora can't believe her luck. Her only dream is to write for Vinyl, and now with her foot firmly in the door and the Loretta James as her mentor, Noora is finally on the right path... or so she thinks.

Loretta is an unhinged nightmare, insecure and desperate to remain relevant in an evolving media landscape she doesn't understand. Noora's phone buzzes constantly with Loretta's bizarre demands, particularly with tasks Loretta hopes will undermine the success of Vinyl's wunderkind digital director Jade Aki. The reality of Noora's job is nothing like she expected, and a misguided crush on the hot IT guy only threatens to complicate things even more. But as Loretta and the old-school print team enter into a turf war with Jade and the woke-for-the-wrong-reasons digital team, Noora soon finds herself caught in the middle. And with her dream job on the line, she'll need to either choose a side or form her own.

Clever, incisive, and thoroughly fun, A Hundred Other Girls is an insider's take on the changing media industry, an ode to sisterhood, and a profound exploration of what it means to chase your dreams.

How far would you...

Advance Praise

"You'll love this insightful―and incredibly fun―deep-dive into media and sisterhood." Marie Claire

"Juicy and fun. I loved it!" ―Cat Marnell, New York Times bestselling author of How To Murder Your Life

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

Diverse cast of characters. Morally gray characters. Mostly loveable, all compelling. All characteristics of a great read.

The writing is smart, engaging, and intentional. I've never read a "closet scene" like that before! Obsessed! This picked up more in the second half of the book, for me; I usually steer clear of work-related fiction. I loved this insider's take on the media industry. The fact that a WOC wrote this, makes it all the more special and insightful. The way the novel treats race parallels my own experience. The ending made me cry and feel full of light. I would recommend this to other media/magazine girlies, aspiring writers, and tokenized workers.

Just as an editor's note, if the reference was to Peggy from Mad Men, Elisabeth Moss' name is with an S not a Z, haha!

I absolutely LOVED this book! It’s one of the best debut novels I’ve ever read. A Hundred Other Girls was marketed as a sort of modern “The Devil Wears Prada,” and I was NOT disappointed! The vibe very much captured the essence of that movie but with more relatable and diverse characters. This book has something for everyone: mental health representation, LGBTQIA+ representation, familial and romantic relationship struggles, etc etc. Seriously, I think this is going to be my new comfort read. Noora was such a relatable character for me with her anxiety and striving for perfection. I loved loved loved this book. 5 stars.

A Hundred Other Girls reminded me a lot of The Devil Wears Prada. Except it’s a women’s fiction novel. I found out about this book through tik tok and I am so glad I got the chance to read it!!

I can't get over how much I enjoyed A Hundred Other Girls by Iman Hariri-Kia
I'm super grateful for the chance to read an early copy!
This is an amazing work of fiction.
Beautifully written, A Hundred Other Girls is a powerful and moving book about love, sisterhood, and chasing after your dreams and what you believe in.
I couldn't turn my head away from my kindle.
The dialogue felt so real and I loved the vivid descriptions.
The characters were so easy to connect to!

Thank you Sourcebook Landmarks for this stunning ebook!

There were several.lines that really reverberated with me. New York is a place that you can be your authentic self. You may be living a better life but there is something better that is yet to come. Noora gave New York a character personification and her observations and attention to detail gives kudos to the author for such a well written book. I truly enjoyed the way she built herself back up even with what she experienced at Vinyl and her refusal to be used as a prop. Three squeezes with Leila meant I love you and I must say, this book is meant to be loved.

I love this book!

Rating: 4/5

Synopsis:

How far would you go to keep the job a hundred other girls are ready to take?

Thank you NetGalley for giving me an eARC!!

4/5 ☆

This was such a fun and diverse book filled with a ton of pop-culture references. This was an amazing debut novel by Iman Hariri-Kia that is centered around the media industry, following your dreams, sisterhood, friendships, and more. Everything was so detailed and painted what I imagine a culture magazine would look in NYC.

I loved this insider's take on the divide between Print vs. Digital media. I don't work in this industry at all so its definitely interesting to read about what goes on between the teams and what fuels each side. It felt really insightful, especially coming from a WOC. There was a ton of pop-culture references that relate to Gen-Z and millennials that I found to be fun and somewhat cheesy.

I'm giving this four stars just because getting through that one chapter (iykyk) was so rough, even though it was obviously very realistic. It just pained me. really. bad. Nonetheless, a fantastic debut novel! Can't wait to read the rest of Hariri-Kia's books!

Finished in one sitting! I'm a millennial, but very much appreciated this glimpse into Gen-Z. It sadly felt very realistic and was an interesting glimpse behind the curtain of the magazine world.

This book was delightful! Read it in one sitting! A Generation Z "Devil Wears Prada." Makes a perfect Summer read.

This is the story of a young woman trying to make her mark in the media world, despite societal disparities and an horrific boss, and ready to do whatever it takes to succeed. I loved the main character and her motley crew of friends.

This book will draw comparisons to "The Devil Wears Prada," but "A Hundred Other GIrls" is much more than just the story of a young woman trying to make it at a fashion magazine helmed by a tyrant. Iman Hariri-Kia paints a realistic picture of the current state of publishing while filling it with inclusive characters and youthful, engaging dialogue.

I loved this book! Iman’s writing is incredible. Noora was so relatable, just everything about her reminded me of my day to day life. I loved how different this book was than what I normally read, seriously couldn't put it down! I’ve already recommended it to many of my friends and family.