The Nurse's Secret

A Thrilling Historical Novel of the Dark Side of Gilded Age New York City

Pub Date 28 Jun 2022 | Archive Date 05 Jul 2022

Talking about this book? Use #TheNursesSecret #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

From acclaimed author and registered nurse Amanda Skenandore, The Alienist meets The Light of Luna Park in a fascinating historical novel based on the little-known story of America’s first nursing school, as a young female grifter in 1880s New York evades the police by conning her way into Bellevue Hospital’s training school for nurses…

“A spellbinding story, a vividly drawn setting, and characters that leap off the pages. This is historical fiction at its finest!” – Sara Ackerman, USA Today bestselling author of The Codebreaker’s Secret

Based on Florence Nightingale’s nursing principles, Bellevue is the first school of its kind in the country. Where once nurses were assumed to be ignorant and unskilled, Bellevue prizes discipline, intellect, and moral character, and only young women of good breeding need apply. At first, Una balks at her prim classmates and the doctors’ endless commands. Yet life on the streets has prepared her for the horrors of injury and disease found on the wards, and she slowly gains friendship and self-respect.

Just as she finds her footing, Una’s suspicions about a patient’s death put her at risk of exposure, and will force her to choose between her instinct for self-preservation, and exposing her identity in order to save others.

Amanda Skenandore brings her medical expertise to a page-turning story that explores the evolution of modern nursing—including the grisly realities of nineteenth-century medicine—as seen through the eyes of an intriguing and dynamic heroine.

PRAISE FOR AMANDA SKENANDORE’S THE SECOND LIFE OF MIRIELLE WEST

“In this superior historical, the author’s diligent research, as well as her empathetic depiction of those subjected to forced medical isolation, make this a winner.” —Publishers Weekly

Send to Kindle (MOBI)

I loved this book. Plain and simple. I enjoyed reading every page, and I'm disappointed it's over.

The murder mystery was interesting and provided a great deal of suspense. I didn't figure out who the killer was until he/she was revealed.

One of Skenandore's strengths as a writer is how she creates her characters. She always creates characters you just can't help but root for, and her characters are always "people" I'd like to know in real life. I really enjoyed Una from the very beginning. She was handed a difficult set of circumstances in life, and she found a way to triumph in the end. I adored Dru. I was pulling for her and Una the entire story and so much wanted things to end well for both of them.

The period details were fascinating and well-researched. As someone who works in healthcare today (not a nurse, though), it was so interesting to see how things were done long ago, what has changed and what hasn't. And, truly, Skenandore's being a nurse adds to the story as it's clear it was written by someone who "gets it" - all the emotions of caring for patients, the successes, the failures, the drive to keep going in spite of what's going on around you. One of the characters said nursing requires "an iron constitution and a gentle soul," and I couldn't agree more.

And, though I was disappointed my time with Una and Dru (I was a fan of Edwin, too) was over, I love how the story ended.