Fandom, the Next Generation

Pub Date 17 Aug 2022 | Archive Date 17 Aug 2022
University of Iowa Press, University Of Iowa Press

Talking about this book? Use #FandomtheNextGeneration #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

This collection is the first to offer a close study of fan generations, which are defined not only by fans’ ages, but by their entry point into a canon or their personal politics. The contributors further the conversation about how generational fandom is influenced by and, in turn, influences technologies, industry practices, and social and political changes. As reboot culture continues, as franchises continue expanding over time, and as new technologies enable easier access to older media, Fandom, the Next Generation offers a necessary investigation into transgenerational fandoms and intergenerational fan relationships.

A Note From the Publisher

CONTRIBUTORS

Maria Alberto, University of Utah
Mélanie Bourdaa, University of Bordeaux Montaigne
Meredith Dabek, Maynooth University
Simone Driessen, Erasmus University Rotterdam
Yektanurşin Duyan, Mardin Artuklu University
Dan Golding, Swinburne University of Technology
Bethan Jones, Aberdale, Wales (UK)
Siobhan Lyons, Sydney, New South Wales (Australia)
L. N. Rosales, University of Nebraska, Lincoln

Meredith Dabek, Maynooth University
Simone Driessen, Erasmus University Rotterdam
Yektanurşin...

Advance Praise

“Utilizing a range of methodological approaches, Kies and Connor have assembled a collection of essays that are brimming with original data to explore the importance of the often-overlooked axis of intergenerationality to the ongoing construction and performance of fan identities. Through analysis of fans of a range of media franchises that span expected cult properties such as Star Wars and Sherlock to previously unconsidered texts like Jem and the Holograms and The Man from U.N.C.L.E., diverse topics including nostalgia, technology’s impact on consumption habits, and reboot or legacy media arise. Central to all of these essays is the concept of identity—both individual and collective—and how gerontological issues are deeply intertwined with other aspects of fandom’s intersectional identity politics. The essays in this collection thus initiate important debates that will hopefully frame fan studies for generations to come.”—Ross Garner, Cardiff University

Fandom, the Next Generation investigates how fandom persists over time, whether in one person, transmitted intergenerationally, or around reboots or new content. With case studies from sci-fi to celebrity culture to novels, from the nineteenth century to the twenty-first, the book provides a rich variety of approaches to an under-studied topic.”—Mel Stanfill, author, Exploiting Fandom: How the Media Industry Seeks to Manipulate Fans

Send to Kindle (PDF)

Being a fangirl on the cusp of forty, this collection of essays naturally appealed to me. Fandom: the Next Generation compiled a range of essays on the subject of fandom with a particular focus on generational fandom both positive and negative, including fandom passed down within families and conflicts arising between different generations of fans when original series and reboots come into play. All the essays were interesting in their own way, but some standouts for me included those that looked at inter-generational fandom within families and the role of media and modern technology in fandom generations, where there was a particularly captivating piece on Jane Austen. If you are a fan and interested in social studies, this is definitely a worthwhile read. It gets 4 stars from me.

This book was a fascinating exploration of and queering of generations upon generations of fandom. I really enjoyed the different research that made up the edition, with foci on The Babysitters Club, Dr. Who, Sherlock Holmes, Star Wars, and more, it was an informative, thought-provoking, and fun non-fiction read.

Fandom, the Next Generation, edited by Bridget Kies and Megan Connor, is an insightful collection of essays addressing inter and cross generational fanhood.

While this is an academic work it is also quite accessible for anyone interested in the topic. Because the general area is still relatively new and the specific subarea of generational fanhood is even newer, each essay offers an explanation of the methodology used. This leads to some repetition for those who used similar methods, it is also essential since there is no single accepted way to do this research. For those reading because they are fans rather than academics, these explanations help to make each essay much clearer.

For the fan, the essays that apply to your particular fandom will be the most interesting but for the academic (or former in my case) each essay offers insight into the phenomenon of fanhood. Some will speak more directly to the reader's particular interest but all offer insight into both the specific fandom being looked at as well as fandom in general.

There were several that stood out for me because of my interests but I learned so much from each and every one. I was a little put off by the way one researcher chose to write up the research. This is more a case of form rather than content. She opted to state what she posited then gave the research that supported it. The problem for me is that doing so almost makes it sound like the evidence might have been cherry-picked, whereas if research is given then the theses posited comes from that research, it appears more solid. Stating broad hypotheses at the beginning of an essay is one thing, to preface every bit of research with a personal statement of what the researcher is positing just looks shady. I am not saying that there was any cherry-picking, I am talking about presenting research in a manner that doesn't encourage (usually subconsciously) whether the information the reader is given is really complete or just what supports the researcher's aims.

That one essay aside (and I still found it interesting, it just rubbed me the wrong way) I would highly recommend this to both the academic and the casual reader with an interest in fandom. For those considering research in the area this is an excellent book that offers superb examples.

Reviewed from a copy made available by the publisher via NetGalley.

This is an excellent collection of academic work on the subject of fandom, exploring the politics of reboot culture, intergenerational relationships to beloved media properties and generational conflicts within fandom, the experiences of aging fandoms, and other topics. Fandom is an underexplored area of the social sciences, and I enjoyed diving deep into fandoms I don't know much about and learning more about how seemingly small "nerd fights" actually serve as a mirror for social issues in the broad overculture we all inhabit.

Thanks to NetGalley and University of Iowa Press for the opportunity to read this book!

Fandom, the Next Generation by Bridget Kies and Megan Connor is an in depth set of essays about different fandoms. The essays are mostly focused on issues in the fandoms, but it covers many known and less known fandoms, and a wide range of topics.
I found this book extremely interesting. It covers current issues a great deal, such as gender and sexuality. But it also goes over intergenerational conflict in fandoms like Star Wars. The essays were well written, and well researched. It is interesting as well, easy to read.
I would recommend this book to anyone interested in fandoms and the issues in them. I would not necessarily recommend this if you are only interested in learning about your own fandoms, it covers a very wide range of fandoms for many different generations.

This is an interesting book. I thought it would be a light collection of essays, but turns out its an academic book. Very interesting, but not for my particular research.

As with any collection, "Fandom, the Next Generation" has some essays that are interesting or intriguing, and others that are less so. Which is which, though, depends on the reader.

The main theme of the book refers to generations of fans (what else?). Depending on the author, the generations might refer to fans' actual ages, such as in the case of Star Wars fandom, where old fans are likely to have seen the original trilogy first, around the time it was released; or it might refer to the version of the story fans encountered first. Whichever is chosen, however, tends to make sense for that particular fandom.

Maybe it's because I'm more of a monograph person, I feel like this collection is an introduction to larger topics more than anything else. There are many interesting topics mentioned, but perhaps because of that (and because each essay is assigned a limited number of pages) the <i>breadth</i> here is much larger than the <i>depth</i>.

Still, I found it interesting to read about Tolkien fandom and Sherlockians through the ages, as those particular essays focused on large-scale transitions from perhaps more literary and text-focused fandoms to more creative, transformative fandoms.

Another interesting essay was on Turkey's Türkan Şoray - an actress who started her career in 1960 and gained a very large following in the 60's and 70's, still being known, respected and loved today, even if she's no longer active as an actor. While the manifestations of her fans are mostly to be expected (collecting memorabilia, meeting her in person), the description of a very <i>personal</i> relationship with her that some fans have, seeing her as part of the family, or as an ideal woman to aspire to, are sometimes almost endearing, and at other times almost like a mania.

Something else that caught my eye was an exploration of the failure of the "Jem and the Holograms" movie (I don't think I even remember the cartoon) and of betraying fan expectations while missing the point of the original series. It's interesting.

I felt that the Star Wars essay gave a bit too much credit to the corporate overlords producing the lastest trilogy, choosing to cast into a nostalgic light what is essentially the ripping off of the whole Episode IV plot to create "The Force Awakens" (I will never get over the disappointment that history is repeating itself a bit too much and nobody in-universe seemed aware of it, along with other continuity issues). But it does say that an appeal to nostalgia and a rehashing of old stories and ideas has been with the series from the very beginning, which was interesting.

I was mostly disappointed by the Backstreet Boys essay; I feel like the author didn't have a lot to say about BSB fandom in the Netherlands, and there was more that could have been explored (e.g. did the women interviewed try to pass on their fandom?). As it is, it's mostly telling us that girls were listening to BSB, felt the music was relevant to their lives, still feel the fandom for the band, are a bit embarrassed about it, but finally have the means to attend concerts and events. Which is well and good if you're not familiar with the phenomenon, but if you are, there's nothing here that I wouldn't have assumed if asked what I think BSB fandom is like.

I'd like to thank the University of Iowa Press and NetGalley for providing me with a free ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. It's neat to see fandom studies growing as a field.