Blood Metal Bone

Pub Date 17 May 2022 | Archive Date 19 Jul 2022
Harper 360, HQ Young Adult

Talking about this book? Use #BloodMetalBone #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Blood Metal Bone surprises you in the very best ways. Unique world-building, a bold heroine with a heartbreaking past, and awe-inspiring magic that simply cannot be caged.’ Andrea Stewart, author of The Bone Shard Daughter

A DEADLY OUTCAST
A DANGEROUS SECRET
ONE EPIC QUEST FOR THE TRUTH

Wrongly accused of her brother’s murder, Sonara’s destiny was to die, sentenced to execution by her own mother. Punished and left for dead, the shadows have cursed her with a second life as a Shadowblood, cast out and hunted by society for her demon-like powers.

Now known as the Devil of the Deadlands, Sonara survives as a thief on the edge of society, fighting for survival on a quest to uncover what really happened to her brother and whether he is even dead at all…

Blood Metal Bone is the gripping new novel from New York Times bestselling author Lindsay Cummings. This is the perfect adrenaline-packed read for fans of Leigh Bardugo’s Six of Crows, The Mandalorian and Sarah J Maas’ Throne of Glass series.

‘A skilful blend of fantasy and science fiction, full of twists and turns, and sure to thrill fans of both.’ Jay Posey, author of Every Sky A Grave

‘A dark, twisting tale with an incredible cast of characters immersed in a richly detailed world I couldn’t get enough of.’ KayLynn Flanders, author of Shielded

EDITION Paperback

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

Blood Metal Bone by Lindsay Cummings is a great read. I was nervous atbfirst going into this book but what a wonderful story this one was.
The characters were great, Sonara was amazing here. This book had so many twists I never saw any of them coming. The writing was outta this world. Cummings did a wonderful job with this story and I can't wait for book two already!

HQ Young Adult,
Thank you for this eARC.
I will post to my platforms close to pub date.

After reading the description my thoughts were “ok I want to know more about these shadowbloods” Being completely honest I almost put the book down early because I was not expecting an alien abduction. I decided to keep going because I had no idea where the story was going and I’m glad I did! The story is very different from anything I’ve read but I did enjoy it!

Where to start on this wild ride between the sands of the beaches in Soreia, to the blistering desert ocean sands of the Deadlands or the endless void of space on the Starfall. This story drew me in to the very end. Amazing character written and woven together like pieces to a beating heart. World building was perfect amount, the magic system was unique and well thought out. This was my first Lindsay Cummings book and wont be the last. Definitely recommend to any fantasy reader out there.

This was a pretty interesting and an enjoyable read for me. I was hooked on to it since the very beginning. I loved the exceptional word building, the amazing plot line and whole the set up. It’s definitely a full 5 stars read.

This was an awesome book! There was a lot of information to learn based on the world and the different “powers” each character had, but the author wrote the book so well that I felt like it was easy to keep track of who is who and what they can do. This book was action packed and I would suggest it to anyone!

This is a Young Adult novel that has a marvelous venture into the fantasy/Science Fiction genre. I loved this book. It is the perfect combination of fantasy and science fiction together into one fantastic read. The charcters are all richly drawn to the story . I can honestly say I was unable to part with this book until it was completed. The author artfully crafted so much action that you will be compelled to keep turning pages, lose sleep and tell all your friends.

The creation of Sonora is brilliant She is a outcast living outside her society surviving any way she can. Her beloved Brother taken from the earth she never stops seeking a way to find him. Her family blames her and cast her out. She finds a rowdy gang of thieves to be part of to steal to survive. I loved her tenacity to reinvent herself in spite of her hateful family. She finds she has magical powers and uses her powers for her survival. Her magic proves useful and she works to steal from the King, is jailed and freed by her gang and their amazing dragon. She is accepted in her band of thieves and good at her craft.. She is simply a amazing charcters. This was such a fun read I wish it was not a stand alone. Well done to the author .

Thank you to Net Galley and to the publisher. A fantastic read I highly recommend.

Where to even start with this story…it was AMAZING! Words can’t even describe the praise I want to give to this book! As I was reading it, I could tell a lot of work went into this to make the plot just right. It flowed perfectly. I enjoyed every minute of it. I couldn’t stop reading and just wanted more. The characters and plot twists were so well done. The descriptions were beautiful and realistic. I loved the world-building and the ending was great. Highly recommend!

At the time I'm writing the review, the average is 3.37 stars, which I would not normally pick up. However, I'm really glad I did read this one because it's a super interesting fusion of genres. Medieval fantasy x western x sci-fi outlaws. It was a nice, fun read for an afternoon, but in the days since finishing, I've lost a lot of the content, with just some interesting vibes left behind.

Thank you Netgalley and the publishing house for allowing me to read this e-arc in exchange for honest feedback.
5 stars
Holy cow was this good. This was just a spare of the moment pick and I'm so glad i read it for the month of May. I will be surprised if this isnt on my favorites of 2022.

Thank you to Harper 360 and NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review!

Blood Metal Bone by Lindsay Cummings is an interesting blend of fantasy and sci-fi. The story revolves around Sonara, who has been sentenced to execution for her brother's murder. Instead, she becomes a Shadowblood, a being with magical powers, banished from society. Sonara becomes a thief known as the Devil of the Deadlands. Will Sonara be able to survive in the perilous society?

Here is an enchanting excerpt from the opening chapter:

"Soahm came as he always did: unannounced and disguised in a cerulean hooded cloak that did little to conceal his true identity.
Everyone knew the Crown Prince of Soreia.
He stood a few paces away, a pale mare nuzzling at his pocket, trying to uncover the hidden wintermints he’d purchased on his latest journey to the neighboring kingdom of the Deadlands. Soahm’s azure hair and eyes, deep as the sea, were the mark of Soreian purity; a trait that had passed down from generation to generation, marking the worthy from the not.
“If I were you,” Soahm said as he stroked the mare’s nose with a bejeweled hand, “I’d consider it a blessing that mother doesn’t look upon you at all. Some days I swear the goddesses are punishing me beneath her wretched stare.”"

Overall, Blood Metal Bone is an amazing sci-fi adventure that will appeal to fans of Jupiter Ascending.. One highlight of this book was the nonstop action. I was also a fan of the reveal at the end, which I wasn't expecting at all. I did take off 1 star, because there were points in the middle where I wasn't sure where the plot was going, which didn't really keep my interest. If you're intrigued by the excerpt above, or if you're a fan of fantasy or sci-fi, I recommend that you check out this book, which is available now!

When a book claims to remind people of Leigh Bardugo’s “Six of Crows” and/or SJM’s “Throne of Glass”, I hear a kind of claxon go off inside my head. You know, it kind of sounds like that noise whenever stuff is about to get serious in “Kill Bill”? I’m pretty sure you know that sound. It’s the sound that says to me in Admiral Ackbar’s voice, “It’s a trap!”

There’s only so many times a scifi/fantasy novel can claim they’re like Bardugo or SJM before a reader just starts to become weary and wary of the claim. This is why I have trust issues (this will be my epitaph, I swear).

While nowhere near being like SJM in terms of, well, anything, “Blood Metal Bone” does have a a little bit of a Bardugo vibe. But it’s only a touch. Other than that, it’s its own animal, and I actually think Cummings and Harper 360 should be proud of that fact. About 1/3 SciFi and ⅔ fantasy, it’s the first honest SciFi/Fantasy blend I’ve read in a long time. Usually it’s either/or, but this book is largely a fantasy with a sprinkling of scifi thrown in that’s largely justified by a fascinating technological divide between alien civilizations. This disparatation, along with the usual themes of colonialism and imperialism that come with one alien civilization with more resources believing they are superior to another and therefore have the right to pillage and plunder, make up one portion of the overall story arc. The other portion of the plot of the book is taken up by themes of second chances at life, found family, resurrection, and of saving your planet from being torn apart by those who wish to strip its resources.

While the writing of this book is pretty standard for the genre, it’s the characters and world-building that stand out. The main characters have the vibe of being kind of like a D&D party, but they’re all morally gray. They might save your life, they might steal your knife. Their rough and tumble camaraderie is full of trust issues and strife, but they keep together just the same because all they have is each other. There is no one else like them. They’re outlaws, and they like it that way. They’re full of wounds both internal and external, but their wounds fuel their power. We’re all molded by our experiences, and the extreme trauma these characters went through shaped them into who they have become as well.

I also love that it’s a standalone novel. I still think there should be more of them. I will gladly sit through a more than 500 page standalone novel than read 2 or 3 novels that could’ve been trimmed down and streamlined to craft a much tighter and deft story.

All in all, I recommend it. It’s not knock-your-socks-off fantastic-to-the-max, but it’s a solid hybrid read in the genre.

Thanks to NetGalley, Harper 360, and HQ Young Adult for granting me access to this novel in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Blood Metal Bone, written by Lindsay Cummings, follows some adventurers through space as they race to find their freedom, and take some revenge.

I loved the writing in this novel. This kept pushing me through, and honestly, I think this was one of the more fun reads I've had lately. There is an adventure, there is heartbreak, there is redemption, and I think this book does a great job of melding science fiction and fantasy.

There are a lot of characters and plots going on in this book, to the point that I don't want to risk mentioning any of them and ruining something for the reader. But, if you are alright with books written from multiple perspectives and are up for a science fiction adventure novel, I think this is a fantastic choice. Cummings has created a universe that is captivating, and I am so sad that this is a standalone novel.

I loved this book was super excited to read it and it did not disappoint its full of action and honestly could not put it down and the characters were amazing.