The Incredible Shrinking Lunchroom

Pub Date 26 Jul 2022 | Archive Date 26 Jul 2022

Talking about this book? Use #IncredibleShrinkingLunchroom #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

This modern retelling of the classic Yiddish folktale and Caldecott Honor book It Could Always Be Worse asks: What do you do when the school lunchroom gets too crowded?

The students at Parley Elementary have a hard time using the space in their lunchroom efficiently. When they get tired of shoving and arguing, they write a letter to their principal asking for help. She responds by moving all the science projects into the lunchroom. Now it's even more crowded! Through a series of letters and increasingly hilarious scenarios, the lunchroom gets more and MORE chaotic. When the principal finally announces that the lunchroom is once again only to be used for lunch, the students are overjoyed with the result.

The students at Parley...

Send to Kindle (PDF)

Thanks to Netgalley and Charlesbridge for a free digital copy.

A great book to teach children (and adults) a bit of perspective. Wrapped in a funny and vibrantly illustrated story, this tale will be a great tool to teach the lesson of looking at your situation through different eyes.

This is a very cute and entertaining story. A group of vocal students complain that their lunch room is too loud and noisey, the principal seems to do the opposite of listening when she adds class pets, science projects and sport teams to the crowded cafeteria, but like many great principals, she has a plan! This would be a great classroom read aloud and a great segue into teaching lunch room expectations. I would definitely recommend it to any elementary teacher, or for students ages 6-10. There are some challenging words, but I think that the pictures tell the story quite well and it would be great as a shared reading or read aloud experience. I so appreciate Netgalley and the publisher for giving me the opportunity to read and review an ARC of this book! I can’t wait to buy a copy for my classroom library once it is published!

I loved the illustrations of this book, but didn’t really love the story… until I read the authors note and understood why he chose to write this book! Definitely a must add to preschool / elementary classrooms!

The illustrations are so good.
The story is good to share with young students too for classroom teachers.
A good one for classroom management.

Cute retelling of the Yiddish folk tale of a farmer who complained about his house being too small. In this case it is children who complain to their principal that their lunch room is too small.

So what does she do? Similar to what happened in the folk tale, she puts more things into the lunch room. Science projects, sports teams playing their games, and so on. Until the kids can't stand it, and then she removes all the extras, and though they are back to what they had before, they now see with relief that it seems larger and less crazy.

The pictures are bright and colorful, and the look on the principal's face as she adds more and more to the room is so knowing.

Although I loved "It Could Always Be Worse" this still makes the same point, and perhaps it will be sought out as well.

<em>Thanks to Negalley for making this book available for an honest review</em>

I have never laughed as hard as I did than with this book

This book follows a group of kids ,their headmistress and their shrinking lunchroom. I absolutely loved the plot,the illustrations and the sequence of events. I recommend this book to every parent and library

I received a complimentary copy and all opinions expressed are entirely my own

This Elementary school has one big problem; a lunch room that is too small for everything going on there. The students are desperate and driven to distraction--and hungry, so they write to their principal for help.

What happens next is chaos and...magic? (Inspired by an amusing Yiddish folktale.)

A fun story enhanced by bright and adorable illustrations that readers will enjoy. (Plus, the mysterious disappearance of some class pets!) A quick bedtime story, or a life lesson; it's a book for all ages and interests!

5/5 Stars

Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for the preview of the ebook pdf. The review was voluntary.

#IncredibleShrinkingLunchroom #NetGalley

This was a cute book! The illustrations are colorful and engaging and the story is silly. This would be the perfect book to read at story time at the library, especially during the summer or in the afternoon when more school aged children are in attendance!

My service dog loves to read kids book lately. He’s always been involved in bookish things.

We sat down and he got his toy, He was excited it was school themed, food themed. We talked about the moral and how it works with his job.

The book from another perspective was a great small story for kids in grade school. It was funny, and the art was so cute. Highly recommend.

This was a cute kid-friendly story with a reminder to appreciate what you have. The kids started out complaining that their lunch room was super crowded and quickly learned how good they had it. My daughter liked this story and we had a few giggles along the way!

Taken from a Yiddish folk tale, the Incredible Shrinking Lunchroom is about chaos. Chaos without the tension. Chaos learning to go with the flow. Nothing is more chaotic than a school lunch room. An easy going principal and students going bananas. How does a principal bring peace to a chaos? A different perspective.

A great book to enjoy with your kids. Laugh out loud and dealing with chaos. We all have it.

A special thank you to Charlesbridge and Netgalley for the ARC and the opportunity to post an honest review.