Beautiful Writers

A Journey of Big Dreams and Messy Manuscripts--with Tricks of the Trade from Bestselling Authors

Pub Date 23 Aug 2022 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #BeautifulWriters #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

". . . often funny and entertaining."
Publishers Weekly

“I own every writing book ever written, and Linda Sivertsen has done the near-impossible: given writing itself a personality . . . Her stories are cinematic, hilarious, heartfelt, and pitch-perfect—with energy and punch, so often lacking in nonfiction.”
—Terry McMillan, #1 New York Times bestselling author

From the host of the Beautiful Writers Podcast comes a heartwarming, how-I-made-tale from a working writer you’ve never heard of, and inspiration and advice from the legends you love.

This book gives aspiring writers and seasoned literary veterans a look into the lives of iconic authors and answers the burning question, “How did they do it?!”

As a young writer in Los Angeles, Linda Sivertsen was hungry to be more like her literary idols. Fame and fortune seemed to happen so easily—and so fast—for them. But how exactly did these bestselling authors bust through all the obstacles and deliver, day after day, year after year, book after book?

When her questions remained unanswered by multiple how-to guides, despite how her writing career was now thriving, Linda decided to go straight to the source: her favorite storytellers across numerous genres. So, Linda co-created the Beautiful Writers Podcast, where she began interviewing authors for the secrets behind their careers—and, without realizing it, began building a platform of eager listeners who wanted to learn from their shared idols. With more than two million downloads, Linda’s podcast has since become a bright beacon of inspiration for writers at all stages of their journeys.

Now, in Beautiful Writers: A Journey of Big Dreams and Messy Manuscripts—with Tricks of the Trade from Bestselling Authors, Linda shares—and expands on—the best of advice and storytelling from the podcast and follow-up interviews with literary greats, including:
  • Terry McMillan
  • Danielle LaPorte
  • Tosca Lee
  • Joy Harjo
  • Deepak Chopra
    Wrapped around the page-turning, magical, and wonderfully relatable account of the highs and lows of her own career writing bestselling, award-winning books for herself and others, these stories from the trenches are packed with suspense, laugh-out-loud humor, and raw honesty. Their passion and wisdom will help aspiring writers avoid common pitfalls and energize career authors with a treasure trove of writing insights from their peers.

Beautiful Writers is a love letter to reading, writing, and to everyone who reads and writes. It’s the book Linda wished she had when she was starting out. Beautiful Writers will become the evergreen companion for creatives everywhere. Write on!
    ". . . often funny and entertaining."
    Publishers Weekly

Send to Kindle (PDF)

First I’d like to thank BenBella Books and NetGalley for allowing me to read and review an eARC of Beautiful Writers, not only because I found it to be an excellent book but because it also got me to start listening to Linda Sivertsen’s podcast of the same name.

I always enjoy books on writing, even if whatever book I’m reading happens to retread over information I’ve heard before. Because sometimes it’s the nineteenth time you’ve heard something that finally makes it click for you. But I have to say that Beautiful Writers is quite different from the majority of books on wiring I’ve read before. Not only does Linda share her own writing journey with us (which is quite wild at times) but we also get incredible incite, tips, inspiration, advice, anecdotes and more from dozens of Best Selling authors across all genres. This is definitely a book I can see myself coming back to this book again and again. (As well as re-listening to a number of podcasts)

If you are a Writer, looking for inspiration or practical insights into writing this could be worth reading and when I say so, I mean there are stories on the writing life from writers. If you have questions like should you write full time, or get a degree before you consider yourself one- then this has some awesome personal insights to help you decide.
    Thanks Netgalley for the eARC.