Beautiful Writers

A Journey of Big Dreams and Messy Manuscripts--with Tricks of the Trade from Bestselling Authors

Pub Date 23 Aug 2022 | Archive Date 03 Oct 2022

Talking about this book? Use #BeautifulWriters #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

". . . often funny and entertaining."
Publishers Weekly

“I own every writing book ever written, and Linda Sivertsen has done the near-impossible: given writing itself a personality . . . Her stories are cinematic, hilarious, heartfelt, and pitch-perfect—with energy and punch, so often lacking in nonfiction.”
—Terry McMillan, #1 New York Times bestselling author

From the host of the Beautiful Writers Podcast comes a heartwarming, how-I-made-tale from a working writer you’ve never heard of, and inspiration and advice from the legends you love.

This book gives aspiring writers and seasoned literary veterans a look into the lives of iconic authors and answers the burning question, “How did they do it?!”

As a young writer in Los Angeles, Linda Sivertsen was hungry to be more like her literary idols. Fame and fortune seemed to happen so easily—and so fast—for them. But how exactly did these bestselling authors bust through all the obstacles and deliver, day after day, year after year, book after book?

When her questions remained unanswered by multiple how-to guides, despite how her writing career was now thriving, Linda decided to go straight to the source: her favorite storytellers across numerous genres. So, Linda co-created the Beautiful Writers Podcast, where she began interviewing authors for the secrets behind their careers—and, without realizing it, began building a platform of eager listeners who wanted to learn from their shared idols. With more than two million downloads, Linda’s podcast has since become a bright beacon of inspiration for writers at all stages of their journeys.

Now, in Beautiful Writers: A Journey of Big Dreams and Messy Manuscripts—with Tricks of the Trade from Bestselling Authors, Linda shares—and expands on—the best of advice and storytelling from the podcast and follow-up interviews with literary greats, including:
  • Terry McMillan
  • Danielle LaPorte
  • Tosca Lee
  • Joy Harjo
  • Deepak Chopra
    Wrapped around the page-turning, magical, and wonderfully relatable account of the highs and lows of her own career writing bestselling, award-winning books for herself and others, these stories from the trenches are packed with suspense, laugh-out-loud humor, and raw honesty. Their passion and wisdom will help aspiring writers avoid common pitfalls and energize career authors with a treasure trove of writing insights from their peers.

Beautiful Writers is a love letter to reading, writing, and to everyone who reads and writes. It’s the book Linda wished she had when she was starting out. Beautiful Writers will become the evergreen companion for creatives everywhere. Write on!
    ". . . often funny and entertaining."
    Publishers Weekly

PAGES 304

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

First I’d like to thank BenBella Books and NetGalley for allowing me to read and review an eARC of Beautiful Writers, not only because I found it to be an excellent book but because it also got me to start listening to Linda Sivertsen’s podcast of the same name.

I always enjoy books on writing, even if whatever book I’m reading happens to retread over information I’ve heard before. Because sometimes it’s the nineteenth time you’ve heard something that finally makes it click for you. But I have to say that Beautiful Writers is quite different from the majority of books on wiring I’ve read before. Not only does Linda share her own writing journey with us (which is quite wild at times) but we also get incredible incite, tips, inspiration, advice, anecdotes and more from dozens of Best Selling authors across all genres. This is definitely a book I can see myself coming back to this book again and again. (As well as re-listening to a number of podcasts)

If you are a Writer, looking for inspiration or practical insights into writing this could be worth reading and when I say so, I mean there are stories on the writing life from writers. If you have questions like should you write full time, or get a degree before you consider yourself one- then this has some awesome personal insights to help you decide.
    Thanks Netgalley for the eARC.

I received a copy of this book for a fair and honest review. I enjoy reading and writing and I recognize a lot of the names on the list of authors included in this book. I have read their work and their words and admire what they do. This book made me feel better about my writing. It was comforting to read about their highs, lows, struggles, and successes. It is a reassuring type of book that all those that read, write or do anything creative in this world. It is a book I will go back to when imposter syndrome comes back to haunt me. This is more than worth the read.

I received a complimentary ARC copy of Beautiful Writers: A Journey of Big Dreams and Messy Manuscripts–with Tricks of the Trade from Bestselling Authors by Linda Sivertsen from Net Galley and Ben Bella Books in order to read and give an honest review.

… I loved this book, I found it insightful, interesting, and engaging, and would highly recommend it to both novice and experienced writers…

Unique and brilliant, Beautiful Writers is not just any other book on writing. The author intertwines her thoughts into a brilliant and diverse collection of vignettes from authors including Elizabeth Gilbert, Ann Patchett, Terry McMillan, Lee Child, and Danielle LaPorte just to name a few. Every author generously shares their lives, and challenges alongside the reader on their journey. This book is such a wonderful blend, part memoir, part guide on the writing life. Each author shares an intimate and often humorous look into the good, the bad and the ugly sides of “the writing life” and offers sound advice and wisdom that is vulnerable, honest, and yet truly inspirational.
    This is a wonderful read for anyone looking for inspiration and advice. I loved this book, I found it insightful, interesting, and engaging, and would highly recommend it to both novice and experienced writers alike.

An inspiring read about the power of perseverance that's dotted with lively anecdotes, writing advice and funny life stories from some incredible authors.

Recommended for anyone who loves fiction - or dreams of someday writing their own.

This book means so much to me it's difficult to write a review on it.

I adored Beautiful Writers by Linda Sivertsen. I'll probably come back to this review a few times and edit as thoughts come.

First, the book flowed. I am going to have this book with me on my nightstand until the end of time. It's a book you can pick up and read a bit and savor. It's not one you read in one sitting. It tells you things that stay with you.

I can't wait until it comes out on the 23 to buy it. Everything about it is stunning from the cover to the writing to the stories.

I would like to thank NetGalley, the publisher BenBella Books for the opportunity to read and review this highly memorable book.

Often, when reading a writing craft book, the material can be dry and monotonous, but this book had me at the divorce story. Not every partnered or married writer has the support from someone who should be their biggest champion, but I was enthralled to learn that her drive to write was tolerated to a point then, essentially, blew up the relationship (among other things, surely) when she’d found success. Yes, the craft portions from various writers and the anecdotes of her celebrity interviews kept me interested, but as someone who had a challenging start as a writer with limited spousal support, I wanted to read her story for guidance of how to navigate this writing career while caring for a family and their own individual goals and needs. I found myself reading late at night to receive advice and read interesting stories by the author who interviewed many celebrities for her first book.
    This is a good craft advice book with other stories smattered between. I recommend to all writers at all levels of writing. Thank you to NetGalley, the author, and publisher for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

Savor this book. Take it to heart. Read it when you need encouragement. Read it when you need inspiration. Read it when you feel you can't write another word. Read it just for fun. Read it.

Thank you so much #NetGalley and #BenBellaBooks for making this wonderful guide available.

This book is a must for any writer, author, beginning writer, established writer...anyone who needs a fresh boost in passion for the craft. I found it phenomenal to tap into great writers' mindsets and join hands with this author. It's exactly what I was looking for. I'll read it again and again, just like my other favorite writers' books.

Writers, whether published or unpublished (perhaps especially unpublished), need a little encouragement and inspiration now and again. Something to remind us WHY we write, often with no apparent pay-off. Let’s face it, it’s hard to work in a vacuum and still maintain enthusiasm for a project.

Enter Beautiful Writers, a book that blends craft advice and inspiration for writers of all stripes in the vein of Bird by Bird by Anne Lamont and On Writing by Stephen King.

The author’s journey from dog walker to the stars to published author is interspersed with writing advice (and commiseration) from luminaries such as Dani Shapiro, Van Jones, Tom Hanks, and Martha Beck, among many others. Taken from her podcast by the same name, the book covers topics such as finding time to write, landing a literary agent, cultivating creativity, and handling rejection, just to name a few.

With all of the writing craft books on the market, it was a wonderful break to read one that’s focused more on wisdom and inspiration. Did I mention it’s funny? The vignette about Woody Harrelson’s yoga class had me rolling. I was also pleasantly surprised at the focus on spirituality - not just from the author but from several of the interviewees as well.

However, the author’s life experiences are so far out of my reality that it was somewhat hard to relate to them or see how her journey could be applicable to my life. I certainly don’t live in Beverly Hills, hobnob with celebrities, on a first name basis with a Guru, or have books downloaded in my dreams (although I have heard of that happening to other people). That said, it does make me want to up my meditation practice because, you never know. Anything is possible.

I strongly recommend this as a feel-good resource for any writer or other creative to keep on their desk or bedside table to read when they need inspiration.

I rated this book a solid four stars. ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Thank you to NetGalley and BenBella Books for access to this ARC. I’ve left my review honestly and voluntarily.

As a person who would love to one day write a book I found this book full of the information yet it was a story (or many stories) of who other authors did it! So this made it an interesting and enjoyable read yet a read that was in some respects educational for me as I did get a lot out of it which I can use in the future.

Inspirational, magical and fun. I would recommend this book for all wanna be writers as well as anyone who just wants a good read about writers.

This is a wonderful book, full of encouragement and inspiration. I enjoyed reading the vignettes by well-known authors, as well as the authors journey. This is a book every writer should read. I'll be re-reading it myself.

I have read so many writing books along the way, always hoping to find a nugget of something new. In Beautiful Writers, there were so many! It's written so well, and I loved the stories she shared in there. Thank you!