Writers on Writing

Inside the lives of 55 distinguished writers and editors

Pub Date 12 Oct 2021 | Archive Date 10 Jun 2022

Talking about this book? Use #WritersonWriting #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Are you hungry to be an exceptional writer? Learn from top professionals what it takes to achieve greatness.

Do you dream of your work earning renowned accolades? Are you trying to get ahead in the newsroom? Eager to level up your creative nonfiction game? Author and award-winning journalist Chip Scanlan has over five decades of experience as an accomplished craftsman. Now he’s here to share invaluable advice for achieving the career of your dreams.

Writers on Writing: Inside the lives of 55 distinguished writers and editors is an empowering collection that reveals what lies behind the visionary brains of the very best wordsmiths. Through inspiring interviews, you’ll understand the practical processes needed to conquer the demanding profession of journalism and creative nonfiction. And by applying these key tips to your own work, you’ll soon gain the skills and knowledge to stand head and shoulders above the crowd.

In Writers on Writing, you’ll discover:

* Priceless insights to improve your craft, so you can become a superstar creator

* How to refine your critical thinking to help you be in demand in your field

* The daily habits that can take you from good to outstanding

* Ways to employ power words and show your remarkable prowess in the workplace

* Methods for overcoming writer’s block, finding inspiration, and much, much more!

Writers on Writing is an essential examination of what it takes to shape language at the highest degree of exceptionalism. If you like frank and humorous examples, explorations of cutting-edge creativity, and street-smart wisdom, then you’ll love Chip Scanlan’s must-have resource.

Advance Praise

"I have more than 35 years experience as a newspaper reporter and line editor (now work in health care communications and edit freelance and staff writers daily) and it's no exaggeration to say this is one of the better books on writing, reporting and storytelling that I've run across. Whether you're a student who's just trying to get a feel for things, working on writing in your spare time, or a professional who's pounding away in the field daily, there's something here for you. It's all practical, all doable, and every page has a best practice that will help you up your game. While I know a few of the writers here, I have no relationship with Chip Scanlan. :-) If you have someone in your life who writes, they will love this. And if that person is you, then treat yourself to a copy. Bonus: you'll find great writers and storytellers to follow as you continue your journey.""

""The book, “Writers on Writing – 4 Questions, 55 Writers, Hundreds of Insights & 111 Journal Writing Prompts” is a marvelous book for writers, people who have a passion for writing, or simply, who want to become writers. Yet what strikes me about this book is that it is not just for writers only.

""Writers on Writing, the book itself is insightful into the craft of writing. Use the book to better enhance your own writing and interviewing skills. The four questions Chip Scanlan poses and the 55 answers can help even the person conducting a job interview to the candidate who is applying for the job. Students will find Writers on Writing a helpful resource for school essays and group projects. I found the book to be a must-have resource book for my own writing and blogging.""

This book is a prime example of the power of a good interview. By posting the same four questions to 55 great writers and editors, Chip Scanlan has created something fascinating and inspiring for writers of all stripes.

Common themes emerge from the writers, of course, along with a welcome diversity of voices and approaches.

Dip into it for advice on journalism, the writing life, or simply some wonderful writing-related metaphors!""?

""As a full-time freelancer, this book gives me the feeling of being back in the newsroom when there would be talk of the craft during lunch or happy hours. It’s fascinating to read these 4 questions answered by writers I know and admire from afar. It’s also a relief to know that most writers struggle with imposter syndrome! I’ll be giving this book to fellow writers and will keep a copy on my bookshelf for days when I need to be inspired again.""

""One of the nation’s premier writing teachers — Chip Scanlan — has produced a book brimming with insights on writing from 55 of our best writers and editors. Not only are these insights enlightening, they’re also entertaining, and they provide the kind of knowledge one only gains from reporting and writing in the trenches. Highly recommended for both grizzled veterans and those embarking on a writing career.""

""Writers on Writing is quite different from the majority of books I’ve read about writing. Instead of a straight up guide dealing with the writing process and things like plot, characterization, world building and the like, Chip Scanlan treats us to 55 different takes on the process as he asked authors, editors, and journalists to answer 4 simple questions. Each chapter is bite sized (only a few pages long), offering up opinions/tips/ tidbits on what each of those interviewed feels are the keys to being a successful writer. It’s a quick read and there are definitely some real pearls of wisdom that make it worth reading.""

""Writers on Writing represent a visionary collation of advice from fifty-five writers: novelists, educators, journalists and more. Chip Scanlan then reprocesses their thoughts in the form of promptings for the aspiring writer to dig deeper for specific writing tips.

The overall most compelling piece of advice for me was to write in The Journal every day; write about everything and anything; write about tips that work, tips that don’t work. Or examine your feelings about the difference from one process to another. Then, as you describe your feelings, you will begin understanding your writer-self more and more and more.

Fifty-five writers contributing two-hundred-twenty tips provides a treasure trove of wisdom: Susan Orlean, Chapter 1: suggests the use of smells to add depth and sharpen our descriptions. And timely for my personal need is Kelly Benham French, Chapter 24: “dependent clauses rob sentences of energy and clarity.” My grammar checker never fails to prompt me for this rule. It is time to implant it in my memory.

Writers on Writing is well-packaged and offers many points of access to the subject of writing excellence. It is a journal you may use every day or for inspiration as needed. Chip Scanlan seems to know his audience very well in offering a maze of diverse pathways to soaking up excellence in the intriguing subject of writing.

I have no hesitation in recommending Writers on Writing to writers at any stage in their lives. I rate it 5 out of 5 stars.""

""You'll learn new things. You'll be reminded of writing truths you know but have perhaps forgotten or, worse, ignored. You'll even look on long established writing habits with a new eye. Even if you consider yourself ""just a reader"" you'll come away with a newfound respect for the words, the heart and soul of the writer, that you read on the page. And, who know, you might even be inspired to set down a few of your own words.

I won't detail the information shared as it will apply to each in different ways. Instead, I'll simply say that this one should be on your bookshelf.""

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

Interesting insights with bountiful tips, thoughts, suggestions, exercises and reflections on the writing process

This is a terrific book full of inspiring tips for writers or students.
As an educator it makes me more than ever want to push students to think and reflect like writers in delivering their work.

Thanks to BooksGoSocial and NetGalley for allowing me to read and review an eARC of Writers on Writing.

As a Writer, I found this book comforting. The author posed four questions to fifty five writers and the result was a book that provides insights into writing, journalism, editing and the love for stories.
Thanks Netgalley for the eARC.

I loved the writing exercises in this book. As a writer, I’m always looking out for helpful and educational books to help me along my journey. This was unique in that the prompts weren’t the typical ones you see repeated. I feel like I learned a lot, and much I’ll be able to apply to my writing life.

Thank you to Netgalley, the publisher and author, for the chance to read and review this book.

Always wanted write own books and this book was very helpful
Laid out each steps explained everything and didn't make sound daunting which idea normally is

Tips Of The Trade…
Useful writing handbook. Tips of the trade in bite size portions from those in the trade - a fair variety of both writers and editors. Plenty of little gems of information and encouragement together with writing prompts. A worthwhile read.

I enjoyed this book. This book was easy to read, and it held loads practical and useful information.

An incredible act of generosity. There were intriguing insights with thoughtful tips. The suggestions and idea were great. I found this book extremely useful.

As an avid reader I have often thought that I would love to have the ability to write a book, and I’m certain that I’m not alone in that thought amongst the vast community of readers. If you are one of those people then you really need to read this book!
I wasn’t sure what to expect, having read a number of books that proclaim to help you become a writer, but that fall sadly short of the mark. However, from the first few pages I was hooked and couldn’t devour everything this book has to offer quickly enough.
Covering an array of writing elements, topics and issues, this book is full of short, sharp, golden nuggets of information, not just from people who talk about writing, but from those who actually do it and are offering up these nuggets from their lived experience.
I loved all of the inspiring quotes, as a fan of a good, meaningful and well delivered quote, I can honestly say that these have been well chosen and fit in with what this book is aiming to achieve. But more than that, one of the best bits in this book are the coaching tips, which I thought were really on point.
At the end, there is a section containing short pen pictures of each of the contributors and their literary achievements. This, I found, adds credibility to the advice they shared, which is likely to appease any skeptics out there regarding how ‘real life’ their experiences are.
In short, I loved this book and I highly recommend it.
My thanks to NetGalley, the publisher and the author for allowing me to read this book in return for an honest review.

I got an advanced digital review copy of this book via NetGalley and I devoured the book. I am a writer. So, every piece of advice, every coaching tip and every quote was on point for me.

The short and concise format works really well as it is just the best parts.

My hearty congratulation to the editors for stripping away anything that was not value adding and just leaving the gems in the book.

If you are a writer (and this can be almost a metaphor for whatever you want to be), this book has some seriously good advice and tips. Must READ!

You'll learn new things. You'll be reminded of writing truths you know but have perhaps forgotten or, worse, ignored. You'll even look on long established writing habits with a new eye. Even if you consider yourself "just a reader" you'll come away with a newfound respect for the words, the heart and soul of the writer, that you read on the page. And, who know, you might even be inspired to set down a few of your own words.

I won't detail the information shared as it will apply to each in different ways. Instead, I'll simply say that this one should be on your bookshelf. Thanks to #NetGalley and #BooksGoSocial for allowing me a peek into some of these author's minds and work habits.

Writers on Writing asks distinguished authors four questions about their writing life. Although the questions are the same, the answers are all widely different and I really enjoyed the pearls of wisdom that can be gathered from each interview. I particularly enjoyed the interviews with Rosalind Bentley, Bruce DeSilva and Bronwen Dickey. What makes this book such a gem is that you can keep dipping into it to discover more useful tips that will benefit where you are in your own writing process. Overall, I highly recommend this.

This little book is a treasure trove of quotes and quips and inspirational insights on writing. I highly recommend it as a gift for any writer in your life. I only shaved a point off because of the misleading title; the book doesn't really take you inside the lives of 55 writers, rather it presents thoughts or ideas from 55 writers. These thoughts are valuable, though, and the book is full of encouragement.

Thanks to Netgalley and Chip Scanlan for providing me with a free ecopy of the book in exchange for my honest review.

Thank you to Netgalley for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

As a writer myself, I appreciated this book. Full of interesting facts, and information. Recommended.

I liked this book. Different perspectives and advice from writers and exercises included. A great writing tool. Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for letting me review this book.

As a literature student, I get interested not only in the final works of authors but in the actual process of writing too. To think that one just sits down and creates a masterpiece in one go is almost unheard-of. Many of the authors get stuck mid-story and need a help of a reliable editor or just a new point of view. And many times they might need a bit of good advice from other professional authors to motivate them to keep going. Writers on Writing provides exactly that - short and easily applicable tips, tricks, and advice from successful writers, journalists, and editors. I think that everybody who aspires to start writing more and better will find something valuable inside. Even though I am not an aspiring author myself (the will might come one day, who knows), I enjoy writing a semi-consistent diary. I found that the tips from this book helped me in writing more consistently and vividly. I would recommend this book to everybody interested in writing or as a great gift for your friends who constantly postpone writing their bestseller until tomorrow.

It may be a strange coincidence that <i>Writers on Writing</i> can be abbreviated as 'WOW' but honestly, this book deserves all the plaudits it has received. Perhaps its greatest asset is being a self-help book unlike so many others, in the sense that this is not restricted to one person's ideology or mantra but the generous reflections of more than 50 professional writers and decades of experience. It is a totally inspiring read and easily worth twice the cover price. A wealth of information and tips. My second reading was arguably more enjoyable than the first. Thoroughly recommended for established and wannabe writers alike.
My thanks to NetGalley and BooksGoSocial for this e-ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Writers on Writing by Chip Scanlan was a 4 ⭐️. I picked this up not because I wanted to write a novel but because I want to write better reviews. I average about 100 books a year and I want to better explain my thoughts. Anybody??
I’ve haven’t realized until recently how important a review is. How I can help “get the word out” about great books. Bad books. I’ve felt many times that I should’ve done a better review. I really want to make meaning with my words. Was this book helpful for that purpose? Maybe?? We’ll see.

About this book. It’s 55 interviews with a 4 question format. The author asks that I start this by first answering the questions myself.
My take away. Most of the authors biggest surprises were that they were writers and actually still doing it. And many said that writing never got easier.
Things I learned:
• writing is a craft that can be mastered.
• It’s helpful to be a “super-observer”.
• Learn from others.
• Read constantly.
• Write from memory and clean it up later.
• Do what make you happy.
• Be a sponge and lower your standards.
Overall this felt like a layer back interview or podcast format. I gleamed some thoughtful insight. Hopefully inspiration.
Thanks BooksGoSocial via NetGalley.