Queen Among the Dead

Pub Date 17 Jan 2023 | Archive Date 17 Jan 2023
Zando Projects, Zando Young Readers

Talking about this book? Use #QueenAmongtheDead #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

A stunning Celtic YA fantasy adventure set in the ancient kingdom of Eire, inspired by the legend of the first true queen of Ireland, perfect for fans of Shelby Mahurin and Adrienne Young.

In the kingdom of Eire, banshees chill the air, and water-wights lurk in the rivers. But magic is outlawed by the king, and jealously hoarded by his Druid priests.

Neve is the youngest daughter of the king, and Ronan is a Druid's apprentice-turned-thief, making a living by selling stolen spells. They should be enemies, but their shared hatred of the Druids-and a dark magic that has marked them both-makes them unlikely, if uneasy, allies.

When Eire is threatened by a power struggle, Neve must seize the chance to take her rightful place on her family's throne, with the help of Ronan and the realm's most dangerous outcasts. Their journey takes them to the outskirts of Eire where magic still runs free . . . and where an outlaw and a warrior princess might carve out a future with spells and swords.

Lesley Livingston vividly reimagines Irish legends and fairytales to craft a YA fantasy adventure that will captivate readers of Brigid Kemmerer and Tricia Levenseller.

In the...

EDITION Hardcover

Send to Kindle (PDF)

If you connected with Disney's Brave, love YA fantasy, and want more Celtic lore on your bookshelf.... This book was tailor made for you.

The story reads very much like Merida/Jasmine, in an Irish setting. A princess who wants to escape the court and get out to see the world on her own, but not give up what makes her her. Magic and mystery, Xena vibes, mayhem, outlaws, war, and fae.... All wrapped up in a pretty green bow and presented like a prized feast for the senses.

This was a super interesting read! From the magical Celtic setting, to the amazing characters, to the intriguing plot, this book had me hooked! I haven't read many YA fantasy books set in a magical Celtic setting so this was a nice change from the norm for me. I loved how the magic worked and the unique monsters.
I loved the characters in this book. Neve is such a great protagonist. She's not perfect, yet she's someone you want to root for. Ronan is mysterious and hard to get a feel for at first, but I couldn't help rooting for him, too (even when his interests didn't always seem to align with Neve's).
The plot of the story kept me on my toes. There was more than one twist in the story that I didn't see coming, which I appreciated.
4 stars, and looking forward to reading more from this author!

First of all as soon as I saw the words Celtic Princess. Instantly was like yess I need to read this!! Truly an amazing fantasy novel. One of the best I've read recently. Neve was so well wrote. I connected so much to the story. I truly hope this book gets the hype it very much deserves. Cause that ending is splendid!!

A great Celtic story with great action and an amazing protagonist. Neve was amazing and her adventures were captivating. And now I'm reading more Celtic mythology because this was great!

I received a complimentary copy of this book through NetGalley. The opinions expressed in this review are completely my own