Scorched Grace

Pub Date 21 Feb 2023 | Archive Date 21 Feb 2023
Zando Projects, Gillian Flynn Books

Talking about this book? Use #ScorchedGrace #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Sister Holiday, a chain-smoking, heavily tattooed, queer nun, puts her amateur sleuthing skills to the test in this “unique and confident” debut crime novel (Gillian Flynn).

When Saint Sebastian's School becomes the target of a shocking arson spree, the Sisters of the Sublime Blood and their surrounding community are thrust into chaos. Unsatisfied with the officials' response, sardonic and headstrong Sister Holiday becomes determined to unveil the mysterious attacker herself and return her home and sanctuary to its former peace. Her investigation leads down a twisty path of suspicion and secrets in the sticky, oppressive New Orleans heat, turning her against colleagues, students, and even fellow Sisters along the way.

Sister Holiday is more faithful than most, but she's no saint. To piece together the clues of this high-stakes mystery, she must first reckon with the sins of her checkered past-and neither task will be easy.

An exciting start to Margot Douaihy’s bold series for Gillian Flynn Books that breathes new life into the hard-boiled genre, Scorched Grace is a fast-paced and punchy whodunnit that will keep readers guessing until the very end.

When Saint Sebastian's...

EDITION Hardcover

Send to Kindle (PDF)

Thank you, Gillian Flynn Books, for allowing me to read Scorched Grace early!

Both thrilling and emotional, I adored this mystery novel starring a fearless queer nun.

I am a sucker for an imperfect protagonist and a good noir feel mystery and Scorched Grace delivered for me on both fronts! I wish Sister Holiday the queer riot girl musician nun had been my music teacher at school! The mystery was compelling however I also enjoyed just reading about the characters lives in New Orleans and during the flash backs. There is plenty of depth and mystery in her character which is fitting given this is the start of a series and I expect we’ll learn more about her as the series continues. I am looking forward to the next installment!

Many thanks to Zando Projects/Gillian Flynn Books for an eARC via Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.

This ARC was provided to me via Kindle, from Zando Projects, Gillian Flynn Books and #NetGalley. Thank you for the opportunity to preview and review. Opinions expressed are completely my own.

Sister Holiday's a queer, tattooed, chain-smoking nun you're bound to adore. I feel you need to discover Sister all by yourself, like a treat to unwrap on a holiday (pun intended).

This book is CLAIRE DEWITT AND THE CITY OF THE DEAD meets AGATHA OF LITTLE NEON. If that sounds good to you, I highly recommend this title.

In fact, I have been looking for a RIYL punk-rock detective like CLAIRE DEWITT for quite a while. While this book (1st in a series) isn't as grungy as the DeWitt series, it does share an ethos of spirit.

Thank you for the ARC.

*I received this book as an ARC from Zando Projects, Gillian Flynn Books and #NetGalley for an honest review. Thank you so very much for allowing me to read and review!*

Scorched Grace by Margot Douaihy had me hooked from the beginning. It is a classic whodunit told by the perspective of a very unconventional MC. Sister Holiday is a tattooed, queer nun who teaches music classes at a catholic school in New Orleans. As a series of arsons take place on campus, Sister Holiday is driven to solve the mystery and unmask the invisible assailant. This book goes on many twists and turns that will leave you guessing until the very end. I loved the character development, I just wish there were more chances for side characters to be fleshed out. Hopefully in future books! Sister Holiday’s life story was the most captivating as the traumatic experiences and other events that molded her during her life pre-vows are unraveled throughout the book. I would definitely recommend this book and cannot wait to read more in this series.

Thank you to Netgalley, Kindle from Zando Projects, & Gillian Flynn Books for the advanced reader copy!

Margot Douaihy has written SUCH a fun book. As someone who used to work in a convent (I know...), this one was a real treat. I think that we all adored Sister Holiday, such an icon. This is admittedly one of the first real mysteries I have read (I typically reach for thriller/suspense if there's any mystery at all), and it was a wild ride. I don't want to give too much away, so I'll say this: Sister Holiday is a saint in her own way.

“Sister Holiday, a chain-smoking, heavily tattooed, queer nun” !?! What more could you need? Scorched Grace was a great book, I can’t recommend it more! It’s such a funny read

Sister Holiday is sure to grab your attention and possibly your heart. I think she is one of the most interesting characters that I have read about recently. You get a real sense of who she was and who she now is. I would love to see this character on the big screen.

This book was not at all what I expected. For some reason, I thought this would be a fun, lighthearted mystery novel. Scorched Grace actually covers some very serious topics and is rather dark. It’s a slower paced story (a bit too slow for my liking) but is beautifully written and I thought the ending was incredible.

Thank you NetGalley and Zando Projects, Gillian Flynn Books for this digital arc in exchange for my honest review which is not affiliated with any brand.

This is a story that will expand and enrich the whole of the whodunit genre! While I didn't feel particularly connected to the characters, the way the story balanced between wild and the structured makes it feel like a totally unique experience for mystery lovers.

First off thanks to the publishers for the ARC!

This book was a ton of fun, if sister act was a cozy queer mystery this would be somewhat close. Haha. All of the characters feel fully realized and fun, and our main character is so full of life and just so snarky and fun to follow.

This series introduces readers to an unforgettable character who is a queer nun with tattoos and a chain-smoking habit. As an amateur sleuth, she uses her skills to discover the arsonist terrorizing the Sisters of Sublime Blood and their community. Her investigative efforts cause her to face some of her past that she would rather forget. It's a great mystery with a memorable character. Hope there is another book about Sister Holiday.