Ezra Exposed

Pub Date 01 Nov 2022 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #EzraExposed #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

It started as a joke—but it’s not funny anymore.

Even though Ezra’s got good friends and can make everyone laugh, he feels like he’s invisible, both at home and at school. To make things worse, he’s the only kid in his group without a phone—left out of plans and shared jokes and games. Finally, at the end of fifth grade, his parents come through.

The phone changes everything. Ezra texts his friends all the time, can instantly keep up with his favorite teams, and boredom is a memory. Best of all, the funny pictures he’s posting on social media are getting a lot of attention. Other kids—including the popular kids—are noticing him for the first time.

Then he takes a photo that pushes things over the edge, and suddenly he’s in the principal’s office with his parents …

Amy Feldman’s debut is smart, laugh-out-loud funny, fast-moving—a great read that also takes on the very serious subject of kids and phone use. Middle-grade readers will recognize Ezra as one of their own, and the author’s light touch allows her to address an issue parents might not recognize, but kids need to be aware of. Ezra Exposed is just right for fans of Gordon Korman, Tom Angleberger, and Rebecca Stead.

It started as a joke—but it’s not funny anymore.

Advance Praise

“Sweet, silly Ezra and his butt-joke-loving, approval-seeking antics make for a hilarious read, but it’s the serious digital citizenship lesson that parents and educators will applaud. I’m putting this in front of my kids now!”

--Suzanne Francis, New York Times bestselling Disney author

“Ezra Miller is the chicken-nugget-butt we need right now! Ezra Exposed introduces us to an unforgettable character who accidentally finds fame and shame through his Instagram account. Amy Feldman’s writing is funny, relatable, and informative. And if you have kids who like to take pics on their phones, it's also crucial.”

--Robin Epstein, bestselling author of the Groovy Girls series

Marketing Plan

National reviews, features, and interviews

Middle grade fiction buzz mailing

Digital and print advertising campaign

Social media campaign

Lead title showcase at library, bookseller, and consumer trade shows and conferences

Official author website: AmyEFeldman.com

National reviews, features, and interviews

Middle grade fiction buzz mailing

Digital and print advertising campaign

Social media campaign

Lead title showcase at library, bookseller, and consumer trade...

EDITION Hardcover
ISBN 9798200797486

Send to Kindle (PDF)

This middle grade chapter book tells the story of Ezra, a boy who gets his first cell phone at the end of 5th grade and makes some pretty big mistakes when it comes to safe internet practices. To combat some teasing he shares a picture of his butt with a friend at school to prove he doesn't have a "beaver butt", but after the picture gets spread around through texts to other students in his class, things quickly go from bad to worse. This book is innocent, yet tells a very important message about sharing pictures through text and social media, and the importance of privacy and safety on the internet. The book also shares the range of consequences that can come from making these kinds of choices, from losing privileges to police involvement to being fired for sending inappropriate texts at work. The story also looks at bullying and the importance of talking to safe adults. As far as sexual content, the book uses the word butt a lot and does describe the aforementioned incident where a nude butt picture was shared but there were no other graphic details. There is also a reference to a girl's chest saying something like "some parts weren't still skinny" and a boy tapping his chest. There are also a few sex ed type lessons, including a vague description of what the students were seeing such as "male private parts", reference to hair growing on private parts and the word vas deferens. Finally the boys find out that while they were learning about male reproduction the girls were given maxipads and discussing their periods. I think this book would be appropriate for students in the grade 5-8 range, but I do wish that there was a little less description of some of those sex ed topics. Middle grade students are so easily freaked out about these topics and while I totally agree with the messages about sexuality and privacy, I do think the author could have been a bit more subtle with what the students were learning. I would love to read this book to my class to teach about internet safety and bullying, but I think I would have to censor some of it for my grade 3 students. I would recommend it more for later middle grade or middle school teachers, but I really think the messages are important for students as young as mine! Thanks so much to NetGalley and the publisher for giving me the opportunity to read and review this book!

Damn...why do all the embarrassing middle grade stories remind me so much of my own childhood? Some parts are totally cringey... getting so hyper about phone and social media. That's totally me. And the voices that told me that I was so addicted to texting and social media still echo. And I cringe while reading this book. It should not be this relatable!

I find the writing really fun and the main character relatable funny! It's a quick read and the plot lives up to the blurb. I appreciate this!

And yes, after all the drama things do end well for Ezra!

Absolutely waiting for the book to come out.

Thank you, Blackstone Publishing, for the advance review copy.

I love the cover so much!

This book is highly accessible for a late elementary school audience. Ezra relieves a smart phone for his birthday. He is quickly influenced by the rush of getting likes and popularity from his instagram posts. Unfortunately, he takes the joke a little too far and things get out of control.

The children of the book spoke and behaved in ways appropriate for their ages. This book would be a great talking point for parents with their children about so many learning moments. These include internet safety, peer pressure, puberty, and work ethic.
Although I would not use this with a whole class, I would recommend parents to read this with the students as they head to middle school. This will help your family approach these issues in a way that is “risk-free” for everyone.

Ezra Exposed tells the story of 10 year old Ezra who gets a phone for the first time. He starts posting funny photos of foods, especially fruits, that look like butts and gets attention on social media and from his peers at school for it. When he takes things a little too far, Ezra gets a lesson in internet safety and being careful with what he does on his phone. Overall, I really enjoyed this book and thought it would be a great read for any middle grade reader because of the important lesson it shows. Thank you to NetGalley for the digital ARC and the opportunity to share my opinions on the book!