The Haven

Pub Date 16 Aug 2022 | Archive Date 25 May 2022

Talking about this book? Use #TheHaven #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

A dark and glittering thriller for fans of Will Dean and Lucy Atkins from the author of The Cliff House

‘Mesmerising, gripping and evocative’ Lisa Jewell

‘A dark delight … I absolutely loved it’ Eve Chase

‘A masterly unravelling of a utopian dream’ Elly Griffiths

‘Psychologically astute’ Tammy Cohen

It was meant to be paradise…

Winterfall Farm, spectacular and remote, stands over Bodmin Moor. Wanting an escape from the constraints of conventional life, Kit and Tara move to the isolated smallholding with their daughter, Skye, and a group of friends. Living off-grid and working the land, they soon begin to enjoy the fruits of their labour amid the breathtaking beauty and freedom of the moor.

At first this new way of life seems too good to be true, but when their charismatic leader, Jeremy, returns from a mysterious trip to the city with Dani, a young runaway, fractures begin to appear. As winter approaches, and with it cold weather and dark nights, Jeremy's behaviour becomes increasingly erratic. Rules are imposed, the outside world is shunned, and when he brings a second girl back to the farm, tensions quickly reach breaking point with devastating consequences…

The Haven is the compelling new novel from Amanda Jennings, author of The Cliff House.

Praise for The Haven:

‘Another mesmerising, gripping and evocative read from the Queen of Cornish Noir’ Lisa Jewell

‘A dark delight … I absolutely loved it’ Eve Chase

‘A masterly unravelling of a utopian dream that gradually becomes a nightmare. Lyrical descriptions and utterly believable characters’ Elly Griffiths

‘Engrossing, tense, psychologically astute. A gripping, emotionally taut exploration of idealism turned sour’ Tammy Cohen

‘Hypnotic’ Financial Times

‘A deliciously dark and tense exploration of human nature. There’s trouble brewing in paradise’ Emma Haughton

‘A beautifully written story with vividly drawn, believable characters I really cared about’ Sarah Stovell

‘Captivating and totally absorbing – this is the kind of pure escapism we need’ Susi Holliday

‘A compelling, brilliant story of the dark things we all bring to our visions of utopia’ Gytha Lodge

‘Mesmerising, gripping and evocative’ Lisa Jewell

‘A...

EDITION Paperback

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

I really, really enjoyed this book. I was hooked from the very beginning and found it hard to put down!

Now I have to read The Cliff House because if its written as good as The Haven I'm sold.

The Haven is a fabulous, well written novel.
Jennings writing is beautiful and draws you in from the start.
All of the characters were well developed and their individual flaws added to the overall tone and atmospherics of the book.
Taut, complex, and compulsively readable, The Haven is a razor-sharp tale.
Downright addictive… There was no way I could stop myself as I furiously flicked the pages till 2am. I loved it!

“I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.”

HQ,
Thank You for your generosity and gifting me a copy of this amazing eARC!
I will post my review to my platforms, blog, B&N and Waterstone closer to pub date.

A utopian commune--a group of friends living off the grid sounds like paradise, right? And it starts that way, but inevitably it goes wrong. I thought the characters and pace of the story was well-done, and it grabbed me right away.

What causes someone to go over the line from "leader" to "cult leader"? This was an interesting phycological thriller, thank you to netgalley for the ARC.

This already has lots of well deserved high ratings, and I don't have anything new to offer, so I'll just recommend it to thriller fans, particularly for those that like their stories dark.

I appreciate the free ARC for review!!