The Spanish Cove

Pub Date 14 Jul 2022 | Archive Date 14 Jul 2022

Talking about this book? Use #TheSpanishCove #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

'Absolutely wonderful. I feel as though I've been on holiday’ – Jane Lovering

The perfect escapist romance. Let yourself be whisked away to sun-drenched Spain for a holiday you won't forget. For fans of Rosanna Ley, Jennifer Bohnet and Lucy Coleman.

Piano teacher Marina Meyer is delighted when her mother offers to help buy her own place in London, even though it means returning to Spain to sell the family holiday home. Cala Turquesa may be beautiful, but it also holds painful memories of Marina's father, who tragically died there in a boating accident.

When Marina befriends turtle-saving vet Mati, it's hard to believe she could have stayed away so long. And then there's handsome property developer Agustín, who has set his sights on more than just the real estate...

But as Marina clears out her father's belongings, memories resurface, along with troubling questions about the circumstances of his death. Can Marina overcome these to find happiness in the Spanish Cove?

Praise for Cherry Radford:
'A delightful, romantic and moving adventure. I enjoyed every moment... A delicious slice of golden escapism' Louise Douglas on The Spanish Garden

'Absolutely wonderful. I feel as though I've been on holiday’ – Jane Lovering

EDITION Ebook
PRICE £3.99 (GBP)

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

Oh my. Read in an afternoon loved it. The secret that led the book I did not expect the outcome. Setting amazing. The turtles were lovely. The food descriptions . The perfect friendship for Polly and Marina. Also two may be 3 love elements . Just have to read it.

Let yourself be whisked away to sun-drenched Spain for a holiday you won't forget. Absolutely brilliant… I just wish I could give it more than five stars! Got me from page one and I couldn’t stop reading till I found out how it would end!

Hugely enjoyable English Spanish book set on a turquoise cove. The perfect summertime read!!
Marina's life in southwest London needs to change, when the opportunity to return to the cove of happy childhood memories with her friend Polly, but also to face a particularly traumatic day she can't speak about, from twenty years ago.
Beautifully atmospheric, I felt whisked away to a gorgeous Spanish holiday home, boat trips and swimming in the sea!!
Great characters, great friendships, family secrets, and the perfect mix of Spanish and English!! I enjoyed the development of friendship and relationships, and characters involved. Great music too!! There is a list to check out on Spotify!!
Looking forward to the next book from Cherry Radford!!!
Thank you NetGalley for the opportunity to read early, loved it, perfect summer reading!!!

I really enjoyed this perfect beach read which whisked me off to Spain! I thought the story was well thought out, well written and I particularly liked the tidy round up at the end! Head to the beach and settle down with this book..

Marina is a piano teacher whose mother has offered to help her buy a house. However, in order to be able to provide that assistance, it requires the family holiday home in Spain to be sold. Marina hasn’t been back there since being caught up in a tragic accident that killed her father many years ago. However, she does go back and learns not only the truth surrounding the accident, but also about herself and making new friends. She falls in love with the place and people all over again.

The setting was fabulous and I enjoyed the writing style. It felt like a friendly hug each time I picked the book back up. I particularly enjoyed the part of the story involving turtles, and it led to me doing my own further learning about the fabulous creatures

I had read one of this authors books before, which I liked, but I enjoyed this one even more.

Copy provided by Head of Zeus via NetGalley.

Cherry Radford lives in the area of Spain featured in her novel and her love for this parched stretch of the south eastern coast is obvious in her writing. Marina is a 30 year old piano teacher whose family own a small holiday villa in remote Cala Turquesa. When her mother asks her to clear out and sell the villa she is torn between the wish for one last holiday in the Spanish sun and the memories which being back there could make resurface. Luckily Marina's best friend Polly, who is actually Spanish, is able to go with her.

All is not as expected when the women reach their destination as, firstly, there has been a rock fall blocking the only road in, then secondly the villa is occupied. As Marina deals with sorting out the villa and having a bit of fun as well, we gradually learn more about the events of 20 years earlier when her father died.

"The Spanish Cove" is a very readable novel and just right for the summer.

Thanks to Net Galley and the publishers for the opportunity to review this book.

Thanks to Netgalley for the book. This is a lovely addition to the “Spanish” sequence of books that Radford has written that evokes a wonderful sense of place, giving any reader a wonderful holiday in a sun soaked setting. The story revolves around Marina who must return to the family holiday house on the Spanish coast to assess it for sale. It’s an action she takes with reluctance, unwilling to return to the scene where a tragedy had occurred twenty years earlier. She travels there with her best friend to discover a mix up in the booking and are compelled to share the house with three men. When the men discover her plans to sell the house they are less than pleased, especially the handsome vet, Mati, whose relatives have drawn him here since he was a young teen. But it’s through Mati that she learns to face her fears from her past and decisions about her future.

The story unfolds in the colour and vibrancy of the music and culture of the region, with an occasional flare in the storyline. Though the dialogue and brief narrative interjections that move the story rather than draw in the reader may not give it the fullest richest treatment it requires, in my view, it is a great summer read to add to the pile.

I received this book via NetGalley and give it my honest opinion.

Another fantastic read by Cherry Radford, perfect for taking on holiday and reading by the pool or on the beach!

Full of love, loss, romance and sunshine. A very easy read that you will not want to put down. The characters are believable and lovable, the scenery delightful.

Well written you will not want to put it down.

This is a lovely story, it is quite sad in places but there is also humour, and romance, and very much a feeling of place - you can really visualise the area of Andalusia where the story takes place. Marina, a piano teacher, lives in London in a rented shared flat. She is completely fed-up with her flat mates, they are noisy and messy, and she longs to escape! Her best friend is Polly, she also lives in London but she is Spanish, from Madrid. They have decided that they will both leave London and find apartments in the Shoreham, Sussex area, from where there is a fast rail service to get back to London if their jobs require it. It will be a lot cheaper than London! Marina’s mother, who lives in Brighton with her second husband, has offered to help her buy somewhere, if she will first go to Andalusia and sort out and sell their summer home by the sea. Marina hasn’t been back there for twenty years, ever since her father had a catastrophic accident on their boat La Mari when she was a little girl. Just the two of them had gone out for a trip, and she had to drive the boat back to the harbour with her dead father beside her. She is frightened of the memories the trip will stir up, but Polly agrees to go with her and help as well as make a holiday out of it, and the deposit for a home of her own would be nice … so she agrees to go.

When they arrive at the villa they find there are already paying guests, three young men who have been renting it for a few summer weeks for several years. After some discussion they agree to share the Villa, to give Marina the time she needs to sort everything out and put the Villa up for sale. As she thought, sorting through the locked cupboard, deciding what to keep and what to give to charity keeps bringing up memories. She eventually finds out the truth surrounding her father’s accident, very different to how her mind had translated it, and it brings her peace of mind at last.

During the course of their stay both Marina and Polly find the man of their dreams, Marina with one of the Spanish men staying in the villa, and Polly with a young Englishman who is staying in a hippy commune along the beach from the villa. Unlike Polly, Marina isn’t someone to have a holiday fling, so her romance takes a long time to ignite, even though they can both acknowledge that their feelings for each other are strong.

This is a heart-warming story, well worth reading.

The story
Marina is a piano teacher living in London. Her flatmates drive her nuts and her love life is in the doldrums. When her mom suggests she go to Spain to pack up the family’s holiday house and put it on the market she isn’t sure at first but circumstances change and she and her best friend Polly decide to go. When they get there, the road to the house on the cove has washed away, three young guys are renting the house and the memories of happier and sad times with her late father are strong.

My thoughts
I loved reading Cherry Radford’s first book in this series and was so excited when the publisher reached out with an ARC of this story. I love how in the story, the Spanish setting is such a strong influence. The sea, Marina’s late father’s boat La Mari, the isolated cove with leftover hippies all bring some blue magic to the story. Friendship is a strong theme, finding connections that allow Marina to bond with the town and find answers to long held worries. And some handsome Spanish potential love interests don’t hurt either. This all makes for a lovely, entertaining read 🇪🇸❤️