Stranded on Castaway Island

Pub Date 03 Apr 2022 | Archive Date 23 Jul 2022

Talking about this book? Use #StrandedonCastawayIsland #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

After a sudden storm turned what should have been a quick boat ride into a nightmare, Annie is shipwrecked on a remote island near Nova Scotia with her ex-best friend Mirra.

Learning to survive together would have been easier if they could get along--not possible after the hurtful words neither can forget. Annie and Mirra's only company is a herd of wild horses--or that's what the 14-year-old girls think at first. But when they discover still warm embers from a campfire and man-sized footprints, they know they're not alone.

Someone is watching them. Why is he hiding? Why doesn't he help them? When he does reveal himself, he leaves them with even more questions.

Learning to survive...

Advance Praise

Two 14-year-old girls who once were friends but aren't any longer, thrust into danger together, and dependent on each other for survival on an uninhabited island (or is it?), make for a truly captivating and suspenseful reading experience. Themes of friendship, grief, and forgiveness all come together to make this novel authentic and powerful. Great story and superb writing will make STRANDED ON CASTAWAY ISLAND a direct hit with readers 10-14. (Gayle Rosengren, author)

I READ INTO THE NIGHT! The plotting is wonderful, the characters real, and the sensory detail is flawless--I shivered, and burned, and starved--and felt every single emotion and pain the teens endured. The characters are so believable--I didn't want to let them go. I read this book far into the night, because I couldn't put it down. I'm hoping for a sequel--maybe a series. (Susan Faust Casper)

This is a book about the human spirit and survival under the most difficult of situations. It is a wonderful book, filled with high adventure, and interesting human relationships. No matter what your age, you will enjoy reading it. (Jerry Apps, Author )

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

Wonderfully rich with many details. Stranded on Castaway Island follows Annie and Mirra ex best friends who get stranded on a remote island with the only company being wild horses. Annie and Mirra are forced to put aside their differences to survive and also figure out secrets that are seemingly present on the island.

The premise of the book drew me in right away. Ex best friends trying to survive in extreme conditions sounded interesting to me and I was not disappointed. Annie and Mirra were both frustrating characters to read about at times but since they were 14 it is understandable that they would not be perfect. I also liked that Mirra developed as a character instead of remaining as a stereotypical mean girl who had been nasty to Annie. The book was also easy to read and the plot was engaging and I didn't really put the book down unless I had to. I did find the ending to be a bit rushed and I would've liked a follow-up epilogue with where the characters were later in life but otherwise I'm satisfied with this read.

Thank you NetGalley for this book and I'm leaving this review voluntarily.

I really enjoyed reading this new Middle Grade survival novel. The story features a 14 year old girl named Annie who is grieving the recent death of her mother and living with her father, brother and male cousin in Maine near a port. She is also struggling with confusion related to the changing friendship of a long term friend who has begun to shift her priorities towards being popular and having cool friends or maybe a boyfriend. When planning to go on a picnic as part of a larger group, Annie and her (former) friend Mirra set out on the boat and encounter a storm. The girls end up being stranded on an island and surviving for several days alone, until a stranger named Roman in his late teens also appears on the island. The girls aren't totally sure if they should trust him and worry about whether or not they will ever be rescued!

I love that this book has some survival content in it, such as building a shelter, starting fires, conserving supplies. I think that middle graders love this type of content. There is also a tiny bit of "pushing the envelope" such as having a crush, sneaking out on the boat without asking, gossiping in the bathroom etc, that young teens and preteens find interesting, without having any sex/drugs/other inappropriate content. As a teacher, I feel this book would be perfect for students in the Grade 5-8 range, but wouldn't stop a grade 3 or 4 from reading it if they were interested and reading at a higher level. I would recommend this book to other teachers in the grades I mentioned, as well as to families of middle graders looking for appropriate and interesting novels for their children.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review this great book!

Thank you NetGalley, BooksGoSocial and Amy Laundrie for giving me this arc in exchange for a honest review.
When Annie and her ex bestie Mirra get shipwrecked on a deserted island will they cast aside their differences and work together to survive or will they let the past get in the way .
This story incorporates elements of survival (which I really loved), self image, friendships and suspense. I really liked learning some basic survival skills and how I can relate more to teens getting shipwrecked rather than adults.
Rating 3.5⭐