Hold You Down

Pub Date 01 Nov 2022 | Archive Date 15 Nov 2022
St. Martin's Press, St. Martin's Griffin

Hold You Down is an edgy novel from rising star Tracy Brown about the perils of love and the ties that bind…

New York City. Late 1980s to early 1990s.

Mercy and Lenox Howard have always only had each other. Growing up on the mean streets of Harlem with an absentee mother meant that they had to have each other's backs. Now young, smart mothers they are determined to survive in New York City while raising their two sons, who have bright futures ahead of them.

Mercy is the quiet, straight laced hospital administrator, struggling to make ends meet. At night and on weekends, she pours her heart into her cooking and her dream of owning her own restaurant. Lenox is the diva, the wild child, looking for excitement and her big come up in life and love. Their boys, Deon and Judah, have been raised more like brothers than cousins, forging a bond that is unbreakable.

When Lenox heads down a path that she believes will bring success and power, it changes the entire course of her life and her family’s life forever. As a result of their mother’s choices, cousins Deon and Judah soon find themselves in uncharted territory.

New York City. Late 1980s to early 1990s.

Mercy and Lenox Howard have always only had each...

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

I have enjoyed almost everything I’ve read from this author so I was excited to be able to get my hands on an ARC of her latest. I read the description and was prepared for a fun jaunt through the 80s and my childhood. I got that and more! I did not expect the depth and richness to the story. While the book wasn’t entirely unpredictable, the way we arrived toward the ending was thoughtful, intense, and consuming. Very good book and I will recommend to others when it’s released for sure.